[Octopus]: Theon - O. briareus Back with a new baby!

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
I got this new little one two weeks ago from KP Aquatics. I haven’t had one since the last one passed in December, and now that we’re safely two weeks into acclimation, I’m ready to start a journal! I’d say it’s a small briareus, but sometimes I’ve thought that and they turn out to be a joubini.

I just got those FluvalSmart
lights and love the ability to control dawn & dusk! I’ve been keeping it set to 1% red light over night, starting at 7pm or so. For the last week it has been making regular appearances on the glass for Star Trek from 8pm until we go to bed.

This morning it was out and very playful, so I popped my hand in and it made First Contact. It started as usual- shy sucker touch. This quickly progressed to it tenting my full fist, nibbling, then a true bite. It was very small and bled just a tiny bit. It swelled only a bit and only for a few minutes, then looked normal. Afterward it was very curious and stayed out for a long while, seemed super interested in my phone- so I got a lot of pics. Good thing Tuesday’s are my day off!

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful photos - I especially like those with the colorful toys!
Congratulations on acquiring such a fine little octopus.

Nancy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a small briareus, and it had considerably more webbing than your cute little octopus shows. So maybe it.’s another species.

Nancy

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
This guy is totally in sync with the lighting now. The lights start dimming at 5, and he’s out by 5:30. I got home today and he came right out onto the glass to say “hi” and show off a bit.