[Octopus]: Anya, O. briareus

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
When I found out that fellow OctoNation member, Glenn, had a lifelong dream to have an octopus encounter, and that he only lives half hour from me, we invited him over to our Bentley Street Zoo Glenn is in the final stages of his battle with lung cancer, so it was important to my family and me to make this happen!!!

Glenn is an amazing human and gracious guest. He brought toys and food or Anya! First, they played play tug-of-war with a glowing squid and orange twisty toy. I was worried that since she had already begun her brooding den that she wouldn’t be social. I was ALSO worried that she might be too social and bite him or be too rough! He was unsure how she would react to his recent round of chemotherapy, she didn’t seem to treat him any differently than a non-chemotherapy hand she has encountered.

Then, he stick fed Anya chunks of scallops, shrimp, and cod that he brought for her. I let him feed her until she she wouldn’t accept any more, which turned out to be more than I thought she’d take!

I would never have started keeping octopuses if it weren’t for this site. The support and information I have gotten from TONMO members is amazing! Quite literally, I was able to grant a dying man’s wish because of the support I have gotten from this community over the past 11 years.

Attachments

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday evening we did a water change in Anya‘s tank. She seem to appreciate it, but stay put in her den. This morning I came out to find it she had laid eggs the wall of the aquarium! She seems to of knocked a big rock out of the way (accidentally?) and the eggs were completely exposed to view. This was quite serendipitous, as I was being interviewed for a Facebook live feed- so that added to the excitement. She excepted a large chunk of shrimp for the audience, but continued to groom her eggs.

Currently, the eggs are clear and white, they don’t look fertile yet. I’m hoping that it’s just too soon to tell- but I certainly have all my fingers crossed!

Attachments

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score

Here is a link to the interview I gave this morning. Lara Joseph is an animal behaviorist in Ohio who interviewed me about what it’s like to have an octopus. She said very nice things about TONMO!

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday evening we did a water change in Anya‘s tank. She seem to appreciate it, but stay put in her den. This morning I came out to find it she had laid eggs the wall of the aquarium! She seems to of knocked a big rock out of the way (accidentally?) and the eggs were completely exposed to view. This was quite serendipitous, as I was being interviewed for a Facebook live feed- so that added to the excitement. She excepted a large chunk of shrimp for the audience, but continued to groom her eggs.

Currently, the eggs are clear and white, they don’t look fertile yet. I’m hoping that it’s just too soon to tell- but I certainly have all my fingers crossed!
In the last photo you can see that we moved one of the rocks to give her a bit more cover. I’m convinced that she chose that spot for her den because it gives her a direct line of site to the dogs... 🤣

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mellen221

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan