[Octopus]: Anya, O. briareus

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
So a little over two weeks ago I got an email from Philip at KP Aquatics that they were going to get in to briareus, and asking if I want one… YES! A very large, mature looking octopus this one is. For as many I’ve had, it’s still hard to sext them sometimes. I think this is a girl, I haven’t seen any special attention to that third right arm. Of course, I’m hoping it’s a girl- I’ve always wanted a chance to try to raise large egg babies. For now, will just keep our fingers crossed and enjoy this beautiful animal!

Attachments

pkilian

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Wow what pretty coloration! About how large is the mantle size? I'm curious about getting a briareus myself.

Please post updates if she lays! I'd love to see photos of briareus eggs.

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Her mantle is about 2 in. I do love biareus! Interactive, sort of crepuscular/nocturnal, so I see them out regularly during the times of day that I'm active in the living room.

KP Aquatics lists on in stock- they are one of my absolute favorite suppliers! We are re-doing a 40 gal tall so we can make a FL Keys tank, and we're only going to stock it with stuff from Philip and Kara!

pkilian

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question about KP aquatics- how regularly do they have Octos in stock? Do they collect from the wild? I think they mostly just get Atlantic species, is this still correct? Have they ever had bimaculoides or rubescens in stock?

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
They only collect locally, or get octopuses from other locals. I can’t say how often they get them in- usually you put your name in the waiting list. Mention that you’re a TONMO member and they take you seriously. 😉

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Did a water change yesterday at noonish- in hopes that she wouldn’t be interested in “helping.” She came out from her daytime napping spot to check out what was going on, but was happy just watching. She’s setting in nicely and taking a fiddler crab every other day. The population of hermit crabs is way down, but that’s not surprising! 🤣

dleo4590

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Did a water change yesterday at noonish- in hopes that she wouldn’t be interested in “helping.” She came out from her daytime napping spot to check out what was going on, but was happy just watching. She’s setting in nicely and taking a fiddler crab every other day. The population of hermit crabs is way down, but that’s not surprising! 🤣
What temp do you have your tank setup at?

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been so crazy busy- but not do much that I haven’t had time to snap a ton of pictures!

Attachments

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
So Anya will absolutely help with water changes when you do them in the evening! 🤣 John and I were doing tank maintenance, and Anya just about climbed out of the tank! She’s very curious, wants to see everything we’re doing if we put our hands in the tank, but is hesitant to grab onto people. She has made contact with me, but it’s OK with me that she’s a bit hesitant because she’s very large and a bite from her would not be fun!

she does seem to be particularly interested in the dogs. There are regular times of day when the dogs bark at the window, at other dogs or kids getting off of the school bus. The dogs go to the window and start barking, and Anya is on the glass glued to it as though they were the most riveting TV show ever!

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faceofbowe09

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean