SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve O'Shea said:
... but with cephs you never know when a catastrophe hits and we lose them. So, unless something terrible happens I think you can count on a few more months (at the very least).

JINX! Went in this morn for the next feed ... and there's half of the larger one on the tank floor. :sad:

Contemplating next steps.

We'll never know - one just ripped into the other, leaving only half of it in the bottom of the tank. I've seen cannibalism before, but not with just 2 animals in a tank. I suppose I'd best be on the lookout for autophagy ....

This afternoon I'm changing the diet of this lone fella. I'm going to give him some glass shrimp. You might see a few funny things if you tune in late US time (I don't know the time difference, but I'll probably drop the food in ~ 7.30pm this evening)

Well, I saw the excitement from up top; obviously someone was watching from their desk, because when I returned the squid was zoomed up to the max, with 8 arms and 2 tentacles stuffed chocker-full of shrimp!!

There was a ton of food for it anyway ... guess it just wanted something different (we cannot have steak and beans every night can we :sad: )

Just a couple of pics; someone else is chasing it around the tank right now.

Attachments

• conv_287467.jpg
    conv_287467.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 156
  • conv_287468.jpg
    conv_287468.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_287469.jpg
    conv_287469.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 147
The problem with shrimp and a naive squid is all the spines. I saw him a couple of times attack a shrimp, only to shoot backwards, aborting the attack, with a spine or two in its arms. That's the gamble. Squiddy will learn, but at what cost. Cross fingers yet again.

Hi Carol; I'm glad you slept!! No, I don't normally feed them at that time - the tides were right for me to get to a 'secret spot' and collect numerous glass shrimp, and I had a little time up my sleeve to do it. Usually I just saturate the tank and let the squid feed themselves when they want it; this early US am timing was pretty much a one-off.

It was pretty incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back