O. Bocki Behavior Question

ladyocto

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello Everyone!
I have an octopus behavior question. I've been working with Robin (an O. Bocki) for a little while now trying to get her used to me and I'm trying to figure out if she's curious or is possibly being aggressive. Every since day one she's been very interested in my hands and almost every time I put a hand (well cleaned of course) in her tank it's like she's drawn to it like a moth to a light. If I rest my hand near her she will reach out and try to touch it or sometimes even if she sees my hand in the tank she'll carefully come over to it while making eye contact with me and try to touch it. The first problem is she's never content with just reaching out with one or two arms. She always tries to come onto my hand and I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit, but I am worried about getting bitten so when she gets closer I usually end up yanking my hand back (I know I shouldn't yank it, but it kind of just happens without thinking about it. I am working on that though). The second problem is sometimes she tries to slowly come on to my hand and other times it's quite quick like she tries to jump on my hand. So my question is this: because she's always trying to come onto my hand, sometimes quickly, am I mistaking curiosity for aggression? Is she possibly thinking that my hand is prey? I apologize if this is a silly question, but with Robin only being my second octopus (the first really didn't live long) I feel I'm still very new to trying to figure out octopus behavior.

Yeah, interesting; perhaps she is indeed striking at you; hard to know... Definitely not a silly question. :smile:

Would be great to see a video of this! Your hand may just act as enrichment for her; do you have any objects in the tank with her to get inquisitive with?

Yeah, interesting; perhaps she is indeed striking at you; hard to know... Definitely not a silly question. :smile:

Would be great to see a video of this! Your hand may just act as enrichment for her; do you have any objects in the tank with her to get inquisitive with?
Thank you for the reply @tonmo! I can definitely try to get a video 🙂! I'm actually expecting a new video camera tomorrow so I can try to get a good one then. I do. She has shells, soft baby legos, a few small baby cups, some smooth stones, some small suction cups (she seemed to enjoy popping them off the glass on her tank), and I have a few connectable rings that I move around her tank (I don't have the connectable rings in the tank all the time though)

I apologize this took me longer than I thought to get. I had to set the camera up and that didn't work as I was hoping. Also the camera quality is not what it was supposed to be, so I'm not sure if this video will be much help, but hopefully it will.

Thanks! It's enough to make it out -- seems more playful / inquisitive than anything; definitely hard to tell but it DOES seem your octo is young, vibrant, healthy, FWIW. Thanks for sharing! :tentacle:

Thanks for taking a look at that for me! I'm glad to know that it seems it's more playful/inquisitive, and that she seems to be doing well, as I've been working hard to keep her in as tip-top shape as I can 🙂. No problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back