• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Atlantic Pygmy Oct

speedjester

Hatchling
Registered
I’ve been keeping saltwater fish for about 11 yrs. I keep everything from tangs, moray, sharks, rays. I decided to try my hand at keeping Octopus. But have a few questions. I have a 15 AIO cube..( all cycled) and have two Atlantic Pygmy’s. One is loose and the other one is in a plastic container. I would like to know if they can be housed together.. I have seen no aggression (as they can see each other ) The mantle is about the size of a nickel. Overall length 2.5”-3”.( both about the same size) Thoughts on releasing them together? Also would it be ok to place a 12 grass shrimp in the tank or will it be a stressor.

Thanks in advance

I’ve been reading Atlantic Pygmy’s are safe to keep together as long as no major size difference . Why not recommend?
Would not recommend keeping 2 octopus together. Thanks
Then I could be wrong? Sorry species I have kept like Bimacs, wonderpus and Briearus it was not recommended because of fighting and carnivorous behavior. Thanks
A few sites state O Joubini of similar size have been kept together and have been seen denning in groups in wild. But I was hoping someone has tried it.

Like I stated I’ve had them in the same tank for a few days one is in a bottle. They see and pass each other in the tank and show no aggression or interest.

Octopus joubini​

As Tom states, octos in the same tank usually doesn't go well (problems include cannibalism), but there are definitely exceptions and maybe you get lucky. We tend to err on the side of heavy caution when it comes to keeping cephs and prioritizing their well-being.

Your hesitancy is definitely understood, and 15 gallons is a small ceph tank regardless of species. Keeping one in a smaller plastic container also won't go well... Any other options / approaches? How did you end up with two?

Keep us posted on what you decide!

As Tom states, octos in the same tank usually doesn't go well (problems include cannibalism), but there are definitely exceptions and maybe you get lucky. We tend to err on the side of heavy caution when it comes to keeping cephs and prioritizing their well-being.

Your hesitancy is definitely understood, and 15 gallons is a small ceph tank regardless of species. Keeping one in a smaller plastic container also won't go well... Any other options / approaches? How did you end up with two?

Keep us posted on what you decide!
I have bigger tanks. I just didn’t want them to disappear into something bigger. I have a few empty cycled 15 cubes I could move the other one into. They measure approx 2” each. So figured I’d see if they could be kept together.

The reason I have two is during my research I read that this particular sub species are less prone to cannibalism.. But decided to research furth with actual keepers.

Makes sense -- as I'm not an actual keeper myself, here's a post I found via our Search function talking about two joubini's together -- no success reported, unfortunately, but same species may be possible -- but limited success, as noted:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back