SQUIDCAM | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

SQUIDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
She be live!

There's still explanatory text required on the website; persevere with us for a wee while.

http://www.thesciencesite.info/

Click on the squid, or better still, the little text underneath that says 'continue', and you'll find the good-old TONMO logo there for all to see ...

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
Re: SQUIDCAM

Haha, I love it! :biggrin2: A very impressive camera, too, with the tilt and zoom. Can't wait until the little guys hatch!

-Brandon

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Supporter
WOW...what kinda computer is that?! a live web-cam with controls, and usable by everyone who wants to...oh, and did I mention LIVE?! Sheesh, yer comp must be about to have a meltdown...talk about HIGH server load...

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
You should put a paypal donation icon on the squidcam website, Dr. O'Shea; I think this is sure to spark interest in your endeavor, and you could capitalize on it to help reduce costs.

-Brandon

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
You can actually see the embryos in the lower clumps of eggs - two faint/black eyespots and a ghostly shape of the little fellas inside!

Charging people? Hmmmmm. It would certainly help with operational costs, but I'd rather have a heart attack trying to raise monies elsewhere than deny people access to something like this.

When they hatch (a couple of days), and start to grow (~ 20 days into it) you'll be able to track the little cherubs quite easily. It'll be cool.

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
Steve O'Shea said:
Charging people? Hmmmmm. It would certainly help with operational costs, but I'd rather have a heart attack trying to raise monies elsewhere than deny people access to something like this.
I meant as an optional donation. I think people would be interested in helping make tank-grown giant squid a reality, and it would be rewarding to see the baby squid thriving after having helped pay for operational costs. Hell, you're guarenteed at least a few donors from Tonmo fanatics like myself.

Steve O'Shea said:
When they hatch (a couple of days)...
The vigil begins. :shock:

-Brandon

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Supporter
Steve O'Shea said:
I don't think he meant that you would actually charge people, just put out a hat in case they want to tip you for the great entertainment.

Umm, yeah, like he said.....

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Those embryos in the lower egg mass are getting extremely close to hatching!!! You can see myriad little black eyes staring at you ... do a CU

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
8) This is way cool.

The TONMO.com plug looks great, Steve, thanks!!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
BTW, if you want a chance to see these things hatching, you'd be best to check it out ~ 0700hrs NZST; be looking at the lower egg capsules.

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
Steve O'Shea said:
BTW, if you want a chance to see these things hatching, you'd be best to check it out ~ 0700hrs NZST; be looking at the lower egg capsules.
Hmm... not sure how the conversion goes, with daylight savings time and all, but I think that's about noon here in California. Will be watching =)

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
For those who might be witnessing the joyous event of squid hatching. Please do get a few screen capture (Print scrn on the keyboard, open sofware such as photoshop or even Paint iirc and crtl+v to paste the screen capture) :proud:

TPOTH
--unlikely to be awake that early

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
They're hatching! :squid: :baby: :squid:

Haven't seen one actually emerge from an egg yet, but you can see a few of the little guys swimming around now!

edit:
The first baby squid picture from this batch:

The squid (white blur) is swimming to the left. Yes, horrible quality, but I'm having to fight with other spectators to control the camera; makes it hard to get a good shot.

edit2:
Well, I don't see a tank full of squid. Did I jump the gun and call some other tiny beast a squid?

-Brandon

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
The webcam is going to be down most of tomorrow afternoon, while I install a sump and the chiller unit. You'll probably hear me swearing from where you are (in fact it would be a hoot if I left the cam on and you saw me in operation, swearing).

I dislike sumps ... as in balancing flow rates, and I've got to keep the flow real low, as there's squid in a second tank in there right now (they've been separated as they'd die in the present flow regime), so there are going to be valves on each and every line (hope I don't burn out power heads). Cross fingers we don't have a flood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards