Finding Nemo

TaningiaDanae said:
Gotta go now -- our pre-ordered copy of HP & ORDER OF THE PHOENIX just came by special delivery and I've got to get my hands on it before the Big Calamari tries to read it before I do! The Tanster

Tani,

You know, the lake around Hogwarts has a resident giant squid. I wonder if its an Archi or Messie?

Oh, and "MONK" rules! I wish I got USA Network :cry:

And I finished Order tow days after I got it in the mail... WOW, Harry gets his *bleep* kicked, doesn't he? :shock:

Sushi and Sake,

John

Oh, and I'm TRYING to become a subscriber, but my bank is weird about stupid PayPal accounts... *grrrrr*

a few days ago there was an article in the editiorial section of my local paper dealing with nemo, how horrible people are going to sell tropical fish etc etc..... conceivably i couldve posted it but refuse to be a mouthpiece for peta (a group i have NO respect for)

anyway, today in the letters to the editor i saw this:

Right! Aquarium isn't place for (burrrp!) fish

In response to "Don't go looking for Nemo" (June 26 Viewpoint):
PETA spokeswoman Heather Moore is right. You shouldn't go looking for Nemo -- I enjoyed him and several of his friends last night at LaVecchia's.

Chris Starks
Charlotte

:goldfish: + :wine: = :thumbsup:

My dear Mr. Kiboko,

I find your post offensive in the extreme. The savagery implicit in its content proves conclusively that you are unfit for the company of civilized human beings.

I do not believe in censorship, but it shocks me that Tony did not delete aforesaid post out of respect for the delicate sensibilities of our readers. I rarely agree with PETA myself, but in this case their shock and horror are completely justified.

I refer, of course, to the final part of your letter. As a college-educated person, you of all people should be aware of the fact that fish should only be served with white wine. I suggest that you hie posthaste to your nearest Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of MISS MANNERS' RULES OF ETIQUETTE FOR POMPOUS TWITS, a volume which has provided me with much sage guidance in my many years of elegant dining at McDonald's, Burger King, and Nathan's Famous in Coney Island.

Very truly yours,
Ms. Taningia Danae, Sous-Gourmand
Elvis Presley Memorial Culinary Institute

i gotta give you tons of credit, for the first two paragraphs you had me COMPLETELY baffled..... alas there was no white wine icon... but cant you get away with reds on maybe salmon or tuna depending on prep?

TaningiaDanae said:
Very truly yours,
Ms. Taningia Danae, Sous-Gourmand
Elvis Presley Memorial Culinary Institute

does riesling go with deep fried pb and banana sandwichs?

Fujisawas Sake said:
Tani,

You know, the lake around Hogwarts has a resident giant squid. I wonder if its an Archi or Messie?

Indeed, John -- I remember posting a comment about that (re Book One) on the old message board. In fact, s/he made a "guest appearance" in every one of the first four books -- I'm still waiting for JKR to mention him/her in HP&OotP. Hope she hasn't forgotten about the critter (unless she's planning to have it snuff Voldemort in Book Seven)!

Fujisawas Sake said:
Oh, and "MONK" rules! I wish I got USA Network :cry:

I didn't think USA was a premium channel -- if you have basic cable, you should be getting it. Call your provider and threaten to tilt all the pictures on their walls if they don't get it for you. :heee:

I've been a MONK fan since before the series started! For starters, I've been waiting a long time for Tony S. to have a (successful) show of his own. He was fantastic as "Antonio" the hapless cab driver in the sitcom WINGS, an s.f. star in GALAXY QUEST, and the kindhearted janitor in a lovely little film called PAULIE. I was hoping that the sitcom STARK RAVING MAD (starring Tony S. and "Doogie Howser") would be a hit, and it had lots of potential, but never really got off the ground. Tony S. has a gift for combining physical comedy with a truly sympathetic character. Those qualities -- plus beautiful eyes and expressive hands -- have earned him a place in my heart as well as on my personal Geek Gal's "Hotties" list (ya gotta talk to "our" Tony about how to get registered as a TONMO Supporter). MONK is a perfect vehicle for him.

Secondly, the show MONK is the greatest thing that has happened to Obsessive-Compulsives since SSRI meds! Ever since I came out of the "OCD closet" several years ago, I've been waiting for the media to come up with a sympathetic, accurately portrayed OC character. The Nicholson character in the film AS GOOD AS IT GETS was touted as an Obsessive-Compulsive, but in fact what he had was Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, and while it sounds similar, they are two distinct conditions which should never, ever be confused. (Since this isn't a "Cephalofans with Anxiety Disorders" forum, I will be happy to discuss the subject with anyone interested via PM, but not on the Message Board.)

Soon after I saw the first episode of MONK, I wrote an enthusiastic letter about it to the OCF (Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation), of which I am a member. As it turned out, the OCF staff had already received several very positive letters about it, with one or two exceptions who really hadn't seen the show yet and thought it would be making the whole thing into a sick joke of some sort. Yes, the "Adrian Monk" character has an extreme, disabling form of the condition -- more so than a large percentage of OCs, but less so than many others (e.g., the late Howard Hughes).

The main thing is that the Monk character, while exasperating to many of the people around him, is both brilliant and sympathetic. Even when "Sharona" is the most infuriated with him, you know that deep down inside she loves him -- whether as a platonic friend, or something more, remains to be seen in future episodes. And "Stottlemeyer", who still hasn't approved his reinstatement as a cop, nevertheless views Monk with admiration, respect, and real awe for his Sherlock Holmes-like deductive abilities.

Parenthetically, from what I understand the OCF has already established contact with the production staff of MONK, so they too recognize the value of the show in raising the public's awareness of the condition (estimated to affect a surprising 2% of the general population to a greater or lesser extent).

Fujisawas Sake said:
And I finished Order tow days after I got it in the mail... WOW, Harry gets his *bleep* kicked, doesn't he? :shock:
Yeah, poor Harry -- like it isn't bad enough being 15 (a difficult age even for Muggles)! I'm a slow reader and am currently just up to p. 572, but I get back to it at every window of opportunity. The Big Calamari has been bugging the hell outta me to read faster, because I called dibs on the book and won't let him near it until I've finished it. (Interestingly, our teenage squidling -- for whom we originally got the series -- could care less about reading it, and only grudgingly admitted to enjoying the first two films when we rented them.)

Fujisawas Sake said:
Oh, and I'm TRYING to become a subscriber, but my bank is weird about stupid PayPal accounts... *grrrrr*

See above -- contact Our Fearless Leader directly and ask for registration advice, I'm sure he can arrange for you to pay by an alternative method.

Miso-Shiru and Plum Wine,
Tani-San

you forgot the cab driver in "quick change" with bill murray......i sometimes watch that movie just to see him and those mop-wielding, bicycling jousters

"honk, honk blaffomi!" (close as i can remember)

TaningiaDanae said:
As a college-educated person, you of all people should be aware of the fact that fish should only be served with white wine.

Taningia,

That is just plain wrong. Reds pair up very well with fish-based stews, such as bouillabaisse and moqueca de candido, and with many Asian seafood dishes. Petite Syrrahs work especially well.

White wines are inimical to certain seafoods. Ever tried pairing a Riesling with whale steaks? Total disaster, wasn't it?

:wine:

Clem

Clem said:
That is just plain wrong. Reds pair up very well with fish-based stews, such as bouillabaisse and moqueca de candido, and with many Asian seafood dishes. Petite Syrrahs work especially well.

White wines are inimical to certain seafoods. Ever tried pairing a Riesling with whale steaks? Total disaster, wasn't it?

:wine:

Clem

Mmmm, yes, I can see where a red would work well with bouillabaisse. In fact, I came across an article which cites a culinary writer named August de Croze as stating, "it is a culinary heresy to use white wine in a bouillabaisse because wine only changes the nature of the fish" -- though the article's author, one Clifford A. Wright, begs to disagree:

http://www.cliffordawright.com/history/bouillabaisse.html

(The above site also recounts a charming Roman myth about how Venus served the delicacy as a soporific to her husband Vulcan so she could mess around with Mars -- that must've been one besotted fish stew!)

I hadn't heard of moqueca de candido before, but FYI here is a recipe for moqueca de camarao, which I assume is an alternative name for the same dish:

http://secure.foodwine.com/destinations/brazil/moqueca.html

I'm not familiar with Petite Syrrahs -- clue me in, s'il vous plaît!

White wine would naturally be inimical to whale steak, as the latter is derived from a mammal.... though it might go nicely with albatross cordon bleu, n'est-ce pas? Of course, when dining with Dr. O'Shea (Steve, not Mark), the choice would be simple: Cracklin' Rosé with everything.

In my own experience, I've found that Liver of Long Pig goes best with a nice chianti -- or was that a big amarone? Either way, fava beans are de rigeur.

Bon appétit,
Tannibal Lecter

TaningiaDanae said:
Of course, when dining with Dr. O'Shea (Steve, not Mark), the choice would be simple: Cracklin' Rosé with everything.

Tannibal Lecter

is that like Wild Irish Rose? maybe pair Architeuthis and Thunderbird? (the gallos will never live that brand down willl they?) :smile:

ahhhh Thunderbird... The original 'falling down water' fond memories of my youth with that one....

Thunderbird.......Blue or Red label? That stuff was lethal and came in a brown paper bag. I remember being stuck in a caravan in Lincolnshire for a week with three archaeologists back in 94. We were four miles from the nearest town, we were completely cut off by four foot snow drifts but managed to find an off licence two miles away. Unable to work, not being paid and with no hot water in temperatures of -15 degrees Thunderbird got us through.

F.A.B.

hehehe red label was the stronger one wasn't it? 17%?

The national drink up here these days is Buckfast Wine, made by Monks in Devon!

15% is an aquired taste and blows your brain as its full of caffeine etc etc... that'll give you the shakes the next day!!!!

http://www.buckfast.org.uk/TONIC.HTM

Honestly Everyone drinks it at one stage in their lives... see the number of these green trumpet shaped bottles that get pulled out of the loch at work!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back