Finding Nemo

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
As was mentioned in another post, Finding Nemo hits theatres on May 30th. Looks like a fun movie for aquatic fans... included in the cast is an octopus named Pearl. The official site is here:

Finding Nemo: The Official Website

krin

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
re: Finding Nemo

Alas, it doesn't hit the shores of Australia until August.

I am a hugh fan of PIXAR and have been following their animation almost since they started. I remember watching a Luxor lamp amination many years ago on Sesame Street and thinking "that was brilliant!". Such a pity they had to combine with Disney - I just hope Disney keeps their claws out of the production ideas. The Disney ethics have destroyed many a good film.

The animation style of Nemo has a touch of the Aardman about it - the big eyes on the characters I think.

KRin (who never did finished cataloguing those medical thesis yesterday)

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know what this film is about?

The official website was very pretty but didn't explain very much.

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
The synopsis I've heard is along the following lines (the technical version ;) ): baby-fish (Nemo) is captured and taken to an ?aquarium where bad aquarists and scientists want to do mean things to him (along the lines of Beethoven), while daddy-fish tries frantically to get him home safe.
I am also looking forward to it but suspect it will not be unmitigated good publicity for the likes of us... :|

:goldfish:

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Tintenfisch said:
I am also looking forward to it but suspect it will not be unmitigated good publicity for the likes of us... :|
Probably won't do sharks any favors, either. Active predators are seldom the protagonists.

Unless they're human.

:roll:

Clem

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, from what I can glean from the trailers, I THINK the sharks (or at least some of them) are good guys in this one. One tiny clip in the trailers seems to imply the sharks have formed a support group for recovering fish-eaters... 8) As for any statement regarding the aquarium trade...I dunno... Hard to say. I'd think Pixar couldn't have made this movie without working closely with aquarists, but...maybe they haven't. Perhaps they spent a lot of time scuba diving. Or, perhaps it's meant to be encouraging captive breeding. I suppose it'll be pretty clear once we get to see it.

Of course, there is also the complete lack of reality in the notion of talking fish...so perhaps it's really not meant to say much of ANYTHING except "wow...isn't this a cool setting for a movie?"

rusty

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
rrtanton said:
Actually, from what I can glean from the trailers, I THINK the sharks (or at least some of them) are good guys in this one. One tiny clip in the trailers seems to imply the sharks have formed a support group for recovering fish-eaters...
Right: they can be protagonists, but only if they give up their predatory ways.

Of course, there is also the complete lack of reality in the notion of talking fish...
What do you mean?

PANSIES
(People Against Neutering Sharks in Entertaining Simulacra)

krin

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
RE: Finding Nemo

I checked the PIXAR site to see if it had more information than the pathetic Disney site. Also no. Both are as information poor as each other.
I had expetced more from PIXAR...

KRin

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello KRin,

PIXAR and Disney are re-evaluating their relationship. It's always been a rather tense marriage; Disney likes to suck properties dry, producing ever more mediocre sequels to hits, and periodically removing films from circulation to artificially build up demand. PIXAR has needed Disney for it's distribution prowess, and has enjoyed a level of autonomy under the Disney umbrella they might not have enjoyed with another studio.

However, Disney's animation division has been in a steady decline; recently, only "Lilo & Stitch" has managed to break out. Aside from that film, only the PIXAR movies have been worthy of the Disney canon AND generated huge revenues, but the cultural differences between PIXAR and the House of Mouse are probably too great for the association to be sustained. I'm sure PIXAR would love to put up a terrific "Nemo" page, but probably couldn't do so without having the Disney marketing hacks breathing down their necks.

Good Lord, living in Los Angeles has finally proven useful. Only took three years.

Yours truly,

Clem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sundance

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak