Finding Nemo

Discussion in 'Culture' started by tonmo, May 23, 2003.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

As was mentioned in another post, Finding Nemo hits theatres on May 30th. Looks like a fun movie for aquatic fans... included in the cast is an octopus named Pearl. The official site is here:

Finding Nemo: The Official Website

2. krin

krin GPO Supporter

re: Finding Nemo

Alas, it doesn't hit the shores of Australia until August.

I am a hugh fan of PIXAR and have been following their animation almost since they started. I remember watching a Luxor lamp amination many years ago on Sesame Street and thinking "that was brilliant!". Such a pity they had to combine with Disney - I just hope Disney keeps their claws out of the production ideas. The Disney ethics have destroyed many a good film.

The animation style of Nemo has a touch of the Aardman about it - the big eyes on the characters I think.

KRin (who never did finished cataloguing those medical thesis yesterday)

3. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Anyone know what this film is about?

The official website was very pretty but didn't explain very much.

4. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

The synopsis I've heard is along the following lines (the technical version ;) ): baby-fish (Nemo) is captured and taken to an ?aquarium where bad aquarists and scientists want to do mean things to him (along the lines of Beethoven), while daddy-fish tries frantically to get him home safe.
    I am also looking forward to it but suspect it will not be unmitigated good publicity for the likes of us... :|

:goldfish:

5. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Probably won't do sharks any favors, either. Active predators are seldom the protagonists.

Unless they're human.

:roll:

Clem

6. rrtanton

rrtanton Vampyroteuthis Registered

Actually, from what I can glean from the trailers, I THINK the sharks (or at least some of them) are good guys in this one. One tiny clip in the trailers seems to imply the sharks have formed a support group for recovering fish-eaters... 8) As for any statement regarding the aquarium trade...I dunno... Hard to say. I'd think Pixar couldn't have made this movie without working closely with aquarists, but...maybe they haven't. Perhaps they spent a lot of time scuba diving. Or, perhaps it's meant to be encouraging captive breeding. I suppose it'll be pretty clear once we get to see it.

Of course, there is also the complete lack of reality in the notion of talking fish...so perhaps it's really not meant to say much of ANYTHING except "wow...isn't this a cool setting for a movie?"

rusty

7. tonmo

Here's a (quite favorable) review for this movie that I came across today...

Finding Nemo Review

8. Clem

Right: they can be protagonists, but only if they give up their predatory ways.

What do you mean?

PANSIES
    (People Against Neutering Sharks in Entertaining Simulacra)

9. krin

krin GPO Supporter

RE: Finding Nemo

I checked the PIXAR site to see if it had more information than the pathetic Disney site. Also no. Both are as information poor as each other.
    I had expetced more from PIXAR...

KRin

10. Clem

Hello KRin,

PIXAR and Disney are re-evaluating their relationship. It's always been a rather tense marriage; Disney likes to suck properties dry, producing ever more mediocre sequels to hits, and periodically removing films from circulation to artificially build up demand. PIXAR has needed Disney for it's distribution prowess, and has enjoyed a level of autonomy under the Disney umbrella they might not have enjoyed with another studio.

However, Disney's animation division has been in a steady decline; recently, only "Lilo & Stitch" has managed to break out. Aside from that film, only the PIXAR movies have been worthy of the Disney canon AND generated huge revenues, but the cultural differences between PIXAR and the House of Mouse are probably too great for the association to be sustained. I'm sure PIXAR would love to put up a terrific "Nemo" page, but probably couldn't do so without having the Disney marketing hacks breathing down their necks.

Good Lord, living in Los Angeles has finally proven useful. Only took three years.

Yours truly,

Clem

11. tonmo

I had read somewhere that PIXAR and Disney are working on a Toy Story 3 for release in 2006... Andy donates the toys to his kindergarten or some such...

12. Clem

"Toy Story 3" may be the price of release from indentured servitude.

Here's a Business Week article from autumn 2001 about the PIXAR/Disney marriage:

Toy Story 3: Out for Blood

Perhaps a "Finding Nemo 2" will involve a neurotic squid's attempt to rescue his paralarval offspring from NZ...

Clem

13. tonmo

Great article Clem! I favor Pixar's position. And all during this mess, my kids are missing out on another Buzz, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye tale. :x :evil: :yelling:

14. rrtanton

Wow, Clem! Do you know any more about the current status of the Disney/Pixar relationship? The article's dated late 2001... I was just sharing these concerns with an animation-loving friend of mine...I just see Disney sucking the life out of Pixar and generally messing them up badly. The details discussed in this article kind of support my fears. I'd much rather see Pixar independent or in a relationship with a (hopefully) better company.

I must confess...a "Toy Story 3" makes me awfully nervous. They managed to get away with a brilliant sequel, but...the novelty's completely gone now, sequels always make me nervous, and can they really manage yet another fascinating, fresh story? I guess they could. Nobody's perfect, so I know Pixar will fall on its face once or twice someday...I just hope that they don't suffer any real damage from it, like, oh, Disney deciding they should run the whole company. :shock: I'm not meaning to specifically bash Disney...but I sure don't like the way they have been running things lately.

rusty

15. Clem

Aloha Rusty,

Once PIXAR delivered "Finding Nemo" to Disney, it was free to start negotiating for a new deal, either with Disney or another studio. Warner Bros. is known to have conducted "informal" talks with Steve Jobs and PIXAR, while Eisner is said to remain confident that PIXAR will stick with them, perhaps in a new arrangement simillar to Lucasfilm's "Star Wars" deal with 20th Century Fox. Jobs and Eisner are said to be just barely on speaking terms, however, and Jobs wants PIXAR to own its creations. (This latest info is from Reuters and the NYTimes.)

I wonder if the plot of "Finding Nemo" is (in part) a veiled allusion to the Jobs vs Eisner struggle: neurotic parent attempts to rescue quirky child from greedy, thieving merchant.

Clem

16. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

I confess that I still love the various Disney "heroine" animations -- I suppose that's the perennial little girl in me -- though admittedly on close inspection they all seem to be the same heroine in different guises: Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Belle, Esmeralda, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, etc. Even Lady (of LADY AND THE TRAMP) was a classical Disney heroine in the body of a cocker spaniel! And of course FANTASIA is a true masterpiece (though from what I've heard Walt Disney hated it, probably too original for the old reactionary). Even FANTASIA 2000 had its moments: that charming "art deco" take on Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue", and the breathtaking, almost spiritual "flying whales" of Respighi's "Pines of Rome".

I also give Disney credit for bringing the magnificent SPIRITED AWAY to the awareness of western audiences. While TOTORO and MONONOKE did receive some attention in "art theaters" here, I suspect it was Disney Studio's involvement in SPIRITED AWAY that brought Miyazaki's brilliance to the attention of the general public in the English-speaking world.

That being said, I've always felt there was a sort of dark underbelly to the whole Disney thing. The standard Disney characters (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy) leave me absolutely cold, with the possible exception of Mickey as Dukas' "Sorcerer's Apprentice" which worked pretty well. They seem positively bland beside the frenetic wit of the Warner Bros. "repertory players" -- Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, et al. Additionally, the "Disneyfication" of Milne's delightful WINNIE THE POOH destroyed much of its charm, turning each one of those lovely "toy philosophers" into just another Disney character.

I also wonder whether the premise of the clever ANTZ was plagiarized by Disney for its far less edgy A BUG'S LIFE. The common explanation given is that both filmmakers happened to have the same idea at the same time, but whenever Disney is involved there is always the suspicion of their "cannibalizing" the ideas of more creative filmmakers.

Finally, the history of the entire Disney concern is fraught with instances of suppression. In the middle and late '60s, men and boys with long hair (read: "hippies") were explicitly barred from entrance to Disneyland. Fast-forward several years to an incident of two young (gay) men who were thrown out of Disneyworld for simply dancing together at one of the clubs there. I imagine that all this has changed in recent years, but it still makes one wonder. (I find it ironic that nowadays, fundamentalists of various religions are opposed to Disney Studios for being "too liberal" -- I suspect these people would have felt perfectly at home in the "old Disney" era.)

Please forgive the rant (and a non-ceph-related one at that)! The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the moderators or anyone else on TONMO, and I don't want to turn this thread into a sociopolitical controversy -- I just tend to get emotional over certain subjects, and I guess Disney is one of them :talker:

Getting serious for a change,
    Tani

17. tonmo

I don't disagree, but I should say that I agree with my wife's assessment that the Disney intepretation of the Pooh characters represent the best group of friends out of any children's characters anywhere, period. I can't think of any other children's program where friendships between the characters are so strong.

Speaking of Pooh and Disney lawsuits, there was one not to long ago where Milne's family sued claiming Disney didn't have rights for merchandizing, etc., etc. Their victory in court would theoretically translate to the tearing down of any Pooh likenesses at Disney World, etc. etc. etc. Not sure where that one left off... Clem? :)

And, BTW, don't you feel that this is pertinent discussion? This particular forum is one of my personal favorites, because I've always been fascinated by the entertainment industry's interpretations of octopuses, for children and adults alike. Therefore, any analysis of Disney (either its characters or the corporation itself) is quite welcome and enlightening in my book, especially in the context of this Finding Nemo release. 8)

18. rrtanton

Tani--check out Clem's earlier link, and also this one:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/mc/20030527/105402660000.html

Clem can clear me up if I'm wrong about some of this...I don't know all the details, but it seems clear that Pixar has been HIGHLY independent from the beginning. Not for lack of trying on Disney's part, but these stories strongly suggest Pixar has kept itself effectively clean of Disney influence. They are NOT owned by Disney, but rather have a contract with them requiring them to make movies which Disney then owns...the benefit to Pixar being that they have a great resource for distributing/marketing their movies, something Pixar can't do themselves. Their respective CEOs (Eisner and Jobs) hate one another, and there have been constant struggles over how much influence Disney can exert. I get the distinct impression that such influence is basically nil, and that Disney is not pleased about that--hence, their own efforts at building a CGI animation house, as seen in Dinosaur.

Currently Disney and Pixar are negotiating a new contract, as Finding Nemo was the last Pixar had to deliver under contract. I would assume that the terms of this contract would be crucial to how independent Pixar can remain. Frankly, I don't trust Disney to not mess Pixar up if they somehow gained control, so I wouldn't mind seeing them sign with someone else, or perhaps even finding a way to do everything Disney used to do for them themselves.

All this seriousness before watching such a fun flick! :shock: :heee:

rusty

19. Clem

Taningia,

(My/space-bar/is/broken.)

"A/Bug's/Life"/was/a/PIXAR/ creation./Dreamworks/ripped/ the/premise /off/for/"Antz."/ Katzenberg/was/still/at/Disney/ while/"Bug's/Life"/ was/gestating/at/ PIXAR,/and/ rushed/"Antz"/into/production/ at/Dreamworks/so/they/could/ beat/"Bug's/Life"/to/ the/theaters/ (and/screw/Eisner,/Katzenberg's/ nemesis)."Antz"/was/much /less/visually/ accomplished/than/"Bugs"/in/part/because /speed/was/of/ the/essence.

These/guys/make/Mesonychoteuthis/look/amiable.

Tony/I/don't/know/if/the/Pooh/has/fled/the/Kingdom/yet.

Worst/space-bar/ever.

Clem

20. tonmo

SpaceMan to the rescue! :bonk: Um, I had to throw a few spaces in there to allow the line to break once in a while... :roll: