TONMOCON III

WhiteKiboko;128357 said:
Already pricing sfo vs mry entry...

If there to be a Gathering, who else should be there to be the One (left standing at 6am)?

Always you, dude.

Sad? Sad????

I don't think so at all...we just know that life is too short to not have a fun time with great friends, and sometimes lubrication is necessary.

Hmmm. That sounds odd, doesn't it?

cthulhu77;128404 said:
Sad? Sad????

I don't think so at all...we just know that life is too short to not have a fun time with great friends, and sometimes lubrication is necessary.

Hmmm. That sounds odd, doesn't it?
:goofysca: Hmm... I was thinking of trying to make it to the convention, but now I'm scared... Although I really want to see those little cuttle-cars...

cuttlegirl;128407 said:
:goofysca: Hmm... I was thinking of trying to make it to the convention, but now I'm scared... Although I really want to see those little cuttle-cars...

Don't worry, not all of us will be that scary... well... probably not. I do tend to get a little crazier than usual in the presence of cephs! (or those who love them)

I am looking forward to taking more pics of you all in compromising positions. No, not like that.

cthulhu77;128642 said:
I am looking forward to taking more pics of you all in compromising positions. No, not like that.

As fun and not creepy as Tonmocon is sounding, I'm beginning to think I won't be able to go. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to afford moving to an apt closer to campus and the $700 Maine to Cali plane tickets don't seem to be fitting into that picture :sad:.

Just keep checking. Prices for airline tickets are doing a lot of fluctuating right now. I got a price for a flight (not Tonmo related) about a month ago and it was nearly $700. Earlier this week the same flight was on sale for $114!

For those of you who have never gone, and are wondering, here are a few FAQs to consider...

What is the agenda for TONMOCON III?
This is still being developed. It will be similar to the agendas of past TONMOCONs, which you can find here.

Are the presentations family-friendly?
For the most part, absolutely. The day of presentations is mostly appropriate for all audiences (although I do recall a certain doctor shouting an explitive when recounting a story during his presentation :smile:). Also, there may be a few "racy" images projected during a review of cephalopods in art -- but that's truly in the context of a mature discussion regarding art. The presentations are usually highly educational. Overall, it is a day packed full with in-depth cephalopod content and discussion that is open to a general audience.

Besides the presentations, what goes on at TONMOCONs?
The night before, night of, and day after the presentations are primarily made up of ad-hoc gatherings. We'll usually visit an aquarium and/or lab during daytime hours. The first night is typically considered the end of a travel day, and folks in the community try to coordinate a reception of sorts. For example, for TONMOCON II we visited a restuarant and bar by the water in Sarasota called The Salty Dog. We spent a few hours there eating, drinking and introducing ourselves to each other -- and generally catching up.

I'm hearing a lot about drinking at these events. What's up with that?
Well, many of us have "known" each other for many years, and at the first two events many people were brought together for the first time. Even if we've met at a past event, the fact is that TONMOCONs only come around once every two years. This is a cause to celebrate. By way of example, at TONMOCON II, after the presentations, we had opportunity to congregate at one of the suites -- it was a social event that went on late into the night.

Oh boy. I'm not much of a drinker, and/or I'm nervous about bringing my family to such an event. Should I be worried?
TONMOCON is much more about people with a shared passion getting together to talk about cephalopods, than it is a drink-fest. I am confident you will find that this group is very welcoming, respectful and engaging on the topic of cephalopods. These events are very much a happy celebration. Rest assured that not everyone drinks, and it is not a pre-requisite to get in on the fun by any means. Also note that not everyone necessarily congregates in the same place -- the night-time events and "after parties" are very much ad-hoc and are not necessarily centralized (although, I'm sure most would say, "the more the merrier").

Will TONMO.com/Tony Morelli take responsibility for my well-being at this event?
No. Everyone who comes to TONMOCONs is responsible for his or her own actions. I (Tony Morelli) only pick a venue and manage the agenda (with help from many).

I have more questions, but I'd rather not post them publically in the forum. Is there someone I can contact?
Absolutely -- drop me a PM or email me at [email protected]. I will treat any and all inquiries and privacy and respect.

sorseress;128714 said:
Aww gee, Tony. You aren't going to take care of us??? :cry:

Actually, Sorseress, I was counting on you for that :sagrin:

It might help to clarify that no food or beverage (aside from possible coffee and donuts) are furnished by TONMO during the actual meetings or tours. All meals are the responsibility of the individual but we try to find a convenient (if not walkable) place near the site which will likely serve alchohol (most restaurants do) and members may choose may have a drink at lunch. As Tony mentioned after the official meetings we try to get together for some adult fun but if there are a number who would rather avoid the adult frivolity but still want to talk cephs and/or socialize hopefully they can connect over lunch and come up with a game plan. After hours is pretty ad-hoc and tag-along.

As rough as we yap, it is mostly talk about squids and octopi...though if Thales shows up, we will have to discuss cuttles too ! :smile:

Heck, if I can give a lecture about morality, anything can happen, I suppose. Chuckle.

Seriously, we are very, very family friendly, and nothing rude or untoward happens at all. The only violence I remember from Tonmocon 1 was when Tom started snoring and Shanlyn smacked him in the head.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back