Poll: What would you like the AUT squid lab to talk about at TCON6?

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by Tintenfisch, Sep 10, 2015.

?

I would be most interested in the following presentations from the AUT squid team:

Poll closed Sep 24, 2015.
  1. "Weird and wonderful" show and tell of random (preserved) cool cephs we have lying around the lab

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Real-time dissection/examination of some squid or other

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Biodiversity, taxonomy, and finding new species

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Colossal squid stuff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Giant (and other) squid ink

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Other (feel free to request in a post below!)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Hi everyone,

We've had a few (possibly?) interesting ideas for things we could talk about during our 45-min Skype-in session in the afternoon, so thought maybe we should ask which of them people would most like to hear/see about? We're flexible :) ... And well aware that you will have been watching talks for most of the day already!

We'll keep the poll open for about two weeks (so until about 10 days before the con) and then close it off to give us time to prepare the presentations of your choice. Aaron, Heather and I will be "there", and if you're keen for the ink talk we'll bring in our chemist friend who's doing the fancy analysis stuff on that project.

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

My other:
    Where is Cephalopod taxonomy at these days?

DWhatley and anothersquid like this.
  3. anothersquid

anothersquid O. bimaculoides Supporter

Since NZ is relatively close to R'lyeh, when is the cephalopod army going to make its invasion and take over the major world powers for Cthulhu?

:)

4. anothersquid

Seriously though, the taxonomy one sounds cool too.

5. Tintenfisch

You WANT us to talk about taxonomy? :shock: Groovy! I have added that to the biodiversity option because it would fit in nicely with those topics... actually it was sort of what I had in mind anyway but wanted to use more exciting words to sneak it in :roll:

DWhatley and GPO87 like this.
  6. anothersquid

It may surprise you to know that not everyone who frequents this board is a biologist or even an active aquarist! Some of us are... cephalopod enthusiasts (full disclosure: I used to be an aquarist but retired from that hobby... by education, I am a physicist... by profession, I am essentially a banker of sorts).

From TONMOCon I seek to mingle with like-minded enthusiasts and to learn about cephalopods, so being brought up to date on taxonomy is actually pretty cool.

I have a friend who lives in Auckland who is currently asking "Really, Auckland U of T?" on my facebook page :)

7. Tintenfisch

Oh, we've been around these boards a while... I'm familiar with the group's diversity :wink: Just pleased that there's some interest in taxonomy, which we normally have to "dress up" a bit in order to take it out in public :wink:

8. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

As thrilled as we will be to talk about the weird and crazy stuff we have, there is still time to vote for your favorite topic. :)

tonmo likes this.
  9. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I voted for "weird and wonderful", however, I think I would switch it to biodiversity at this point.
    All that being said, I don't know if my vote should count as I cannot make it. (Though I will be watching!)

tonmo likes this.