TONMOCON III

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by tonmo, Jan 5, 2008.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

What with it being 2008, I thought it would be good to open up the first official TONMOCON III thread. There has been some discussion in disparate places... and there have been a number of "mini-cons" where TONMOers get together in smaller gatherings. I thought we could start with a poll to gauge interest in location...

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I voted Monterey. That way, even if I am puking this time, I can make it. :grin: Besides that, I like Seattle because we could organize a GPO dive.

BTW, the talk I was going to give is still all ready...

3. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

i think one in Miami would be amazing. Mostly because i live close by, but also because there are a lot of aquarists here as well as the Seaquarium nearby. Also Tom (the collector that gets many of the O. Briareus for our members) lives close as well, and he might be willing to come, maybe bring a few octos too :sly: For members that could come, there are also many interesting things to do while here such as scuba diving, snorkeling, boating, and for those who like it, fishing. If not, one in Sarasota wouldn't be a bad idea either..

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I would say SF, but I don't think the new Cal Academy would be open then. If there is interest, I could find out.

5. Spence24

Spence24 GPO Registered

I said Mote in Sarasota, Fl love the weather, and I have relatives close by could actually come!!!

6. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

If it cant be Miami, i vote for Sarasota as well.

7. Spence24

Spence24 GPO Registered

Miami's good too, I have relatives their too!!!

8. norgebyblood

norgebyblood O. vulgaris Registered

anywhere in fl, a college students budget doesnt allow for much airfare, lol

9. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I vote Miami, I could get cheaper airfairs to there (check out skybus.com, new, really cheap airline) if I was able to go, Sarasota would be good as well

10. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

If it's sarasota again, i am NOT driving... at least in one sitting again... or maybe at least not on 2 hours of sleep...

11. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Have I mentioned that my new sister-in-law works at the New England Aquarium?

She does.

12. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I voted Monterey, since I like alternating East Coast/ West Coast if we're sticking with the U.S.... Seattle might meet that requirement, and then #4 could be New England and we'd hit all 4 corners... I'm not sure I could afford an international version, but if I can I'd be fine with that.

13. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I have to admit I voted New England because I've never been to that aquarium and we could drive there!:smile:

14. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

West Coast. If we choose Monterey, I could get the ball rolling pretty quickly. Frankly, I'm into Seattle. Great, great town, awesome aquarium. San Francisco is potentially good, so is Long Beach (everybody fly into Burbank, however, LAX sucks. Great bar, horrible experience otherwise), or perhaps San Diego (Scripps Institute, Sea World). Then maybe New England next time, just because I've never visited that aquarium. Then there's always Oahu, but for us mainlanders, that's like an international flight.

Were we intending to do this every year, or just biannually?

15. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

honestly, I don't know. Everywhere seems too far for me.

Edit: But Monterey was nice

16. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Wow, talk about level voting! (At the time of this post, results are 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, respectively).

I personally haven't figured out annual or biannual. Once per year seems somewhat costly for me, but at the same time, 2 years feels like a long time to wait for something so fun and rewarding. Right now my going assumption is that this will be a 2009 event. It does require a fair amount of coordination and notification. But, I might be able to swing something this year if Cthulhu's stars were aligned.

NEAq is really great, been there a couple of times. Monterey was an amazing experience for me and my family, what a beautiful place to be. Mote was great -- Jason and everyone at Mote were so accommodating; it really made for a great experience. But, we were just there... I see a lot of posts from Floridians wanting us to go back, but I imagine for this next trip we may want to go someplace else.

I would be up for going back to Monterey this time (as I imagine we'll try Mote again in the future as well). I voted for Seattle, however. That's one place I've never been, and Dr. Roland Anderson has been a long-time friend of TONMO.com (although I haven't corresponded with him in years). However, if that does prove to be too remote and costly for the rest, I'm open to input. I know folks like Jonathan (pipsquek) and RabidSquid were able to join us in Monterey because it was relatively local for them.

17. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hmmm... hard choice. I chose New England, because there is a chance I could make it. I would prefer Seattle because I haven't been there in years and the diving is really cool (although cold...). It would be fun to have a field trip to Friday Harbor or Vancouver...

18. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

No where in the midwest? I doubt I will go unless it was in SLC (or, maybe Kansas City since I have family and friends there) but I'm sure there are other people from the midwest that would like something a little closer to home.

19. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hey, what about the NRCC? Will they be up and running by 2008?

20. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I'd also love to see more of the small regional get-togethers. I had high hopes for the southern CA one, even though only marinebio_guy and I actually made it, but even if it's not an official "TONMOCON" it seems like trips to many of these places, possibly with pics/videos/trip reports, would be a great way to have some "in person" stuff that has a similar feel to the "cool, we get to meet these people" experiences of the TONMOCONS...