S.Bandensis Cuttlefish - Just released the kids into main tank

I've never had a problem with them taking shore/grass shrimp from me. Only took a couple of tries with dead ones and they never looked back. I tried using store bought shrimp and the female was the only one who would readily take them so I gave up on that for now. I think they really noticed the difference in shape and color and decided it wasnt a trigger. If anything they will over feed on shore shrimp if i let them and then leave half eaten bodies on the floor.

Finally got a video of them mating...anyone know what the female dumped towards the mid/end of the video? Maybe she wasnt too impressed with the genetic package from the male.

Nope. Just that scooter blenny. I put her in there a couple of months ago to kill flatworms. I'm really surprised they pay no attention to her. She's definitely in the eatable size range. :smile:

reef.jpg

Very nice. You weren't kidding about the xenia farm. What size tank is it again? Is that sargassum algea near the top? I used to have that in my display a long long time ago.

It's a 20. Very small. :smile:

I'm always trimming and throwing out xenia. It's crazy. That macro algae came on some really nice liverock and I just let it stay. I'm not sure of the species but I think you're right.

Great photos and great tank size.

My tank is a 90 which may be why mine are so hard to find. I actually did spot 3 of them today, maybe they are getting a bit more comfortable. I really think tank sizes are overstated for dwarf cuttlefish. Possibly do to filtration issues, but assuming you have a good skimmer and or do water changes enough to maintain water quality I think smaller is the way to go.

Originally I was planning a 65g for my cuttlefish but decided I wanted the extra depth and went for the custom 90 (3x2x2) while its a beautiful tank I sometimes wish I had gone smaller. What would be really nice is if these guys just got a little bigger. Unfortunately there really isn't another option here for keeping cuttles and sepia officinalis get too big and are not available here anyway.

Thanks.

Well here's what I think about having a 20. My reef is right on the edge as far as the bio load goes having 2 cuttles in there. My reef was very stable to begin with and having the cuttles grow in there from the start (in the breeder net) probably made it work that much better. All my parameters are right where they should be but I need to do way more water changes (about 2 gallons a week) and if I didnt have a kick ass skimmer I think it just wouldnt be possible. When I had 3 in there I really noticed a big spike in micro algae and cyano was starting to appear in small patches almost every 3rd day. I certainly wouldn't recommend going that small to anyone who reads this. Thales warned me about my tank size and I think he's right on. If think I didnt have a lot of reef experience under my belt this would have been a disaster. I was going to set up a 55 but decided to hold off and get a rimless 40. That wont happen any time soon. Thankfully i love doing maintenance and water changes. :smile:

So, kids. Dont try this at home.

Omega;151092 said:
beautiful shot

+1 there!

I've seen things for the first time in clear close-up shots - like the little neon dots around the mantle fin. I never noticed them watching, only in a nice close-up.

Keeping my 5 in a 40 breeder I figured was pushing it, but it seems to be working out fine. No sump. The Aqua-C remora is doing a great job pulling ink and whatever else out. The red flame macro algae is growing like crazy. PO4 was .09 last check with photometer. I have only done 1. 10g water change since they have been in here. I think I will do another right now.

That does look like Sargassum algae. One of my favorite set-ups had lots of it and a Sargassum Angler fish. Friends could NEVER spot that fish, even when I pointed right to it. I even got to witness it spin an egg sheet which was really crazy.

Attachments

• conv_296348.jpg
    conv_296348.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 75

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back