S.Bandensis Cuttlefish - Just released the kids into main tank

That is funny you say the D90, I had a D70 and then a D80 and thought instead of updating to the D90 I would change to canon. I like the controls and menu setup - for the way I think it suits me better. Both the Nikon and Canon lines are great. I have a friend who is a professional photographer and he shoots Canon and since he has been teaching me and taking me out on shoots, I changed to Canon. The d90 is an excellent camera. Nikon flashes can typically be used remote from the camera body and used wirelessly, that is a plus over the Canon. The Canon must have another piece of kit to integrate the speedlites if taken off the camera body. It gets down to whichever you start with you should stick with unless you want to waste a lot of money.

I tried a 100 f2.8 Prime lens this weekend and was really impressed with the macro use. I used to think that extension tubes were the answer, but really for only extreme closeups.

Here are a couple of shots that I took this weekend with the prime lens.

BTW your photographs are wonderful. Really crisp, you must have been doing this for a while! I am still getting use to the light metering of the Canon.

Attachments

• conv_296145.jpg
    conv_296145.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 68
  • conv_296146.jpg
    conv_296146.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 71
Nice Shots. I really like the depth on the barrel cactus and the contrast within the circular spines. Whenever I have issues with lighting I run straight to post processing in photoshop cs4. There is so much info stored in the photos that a lot of people dont take advantage of. I really miss the desert. I spent 4 years there (gilbert) and just recently moved back to California. There is so much to shoot down there. I would spend hours road cruising for snakes and so much time in the mountains in the south. So many cool places!

I am afraid that my post processing is limited to iPhoto and I Aperture, but it is more that I understand right now. CS4 was way too much for me to work with so I need to stick to the simple things. I sure hope you are using a telephoto lens and not getting so close to the rattlers or beaded lizards. I like lizards but hate snakes....I have lived in AZ for 14 years and (fingers crossed) haven't run into a rattler yet. Everything else, and unfortunately live in the groves and get a lot of scorpions - been stung several times. Nasty little creatures, but fascinating. Thanks for the kind words on the pics, took them at Bryce Arboretum.

Telephoto? No way! I get right up on those guys. I love em! :smile:
I hate bark scorpions. Nasty critters. Never been nailed but I've had many many run ins.

Let me know if you ever need some help with photoshop. It's really easy once you get some basics out of the way.

Almondsaz;153168 said:
Another great video.....where do you get those little crabs?

I pull them from the SF Bay. I just go down at low tide and flip rocks. I usually come home with 15-20 within 30 minutes or so.

Can I ask you again what size your tank is and how many cuttles you have in it? I am downsizing and looking for a tank for my 4.

And as for the crabs....no such luck for me in AZ.

I have them in a 20 right now and have three. I still havent set up the 55 and might just go with a rimless 57 instead. It depends how much money I pull together selling frags over the next month or so. Thankfully I have a really efficient skimmer and a rocking sand bed with a lot of liverock...and the cleanup crew from hell. :smile:

Almondsaz;153168 said:
Another great video.....where do you get those little crabs?

Agree!
I wish I could find more little crabs. Only saw 1 last time collecting and never caught it. The WC amphipods are hatching out in the holding tank. I pulled Carbon reactor to clean and there were hundreds in there at around 3/16". These might be great first foods.

I notice a skimmer must also pull ink out. My skimate is much blacker than brown after transferring cuttlefish to this tank. I have seen several inking episodes and the amount has never been very much. I am running Carbon in a reactor and skimming. Have not done a water change and it is fine.

Left for 3 days...came home to a suprise

I went up north to hunt Sasquatch in willow Creek and just got back in literally 20 minutes ago. I created a drip system a couple of weeks ago to make sure there were no issues with evaporation, caught about 10 small crabs and dumped them in just before i left to make sure they had food. So, I looked at the reef as soon as I got in the door and everything appeared to be fine, minus the micro algae all over the glass. I saw that all three cuttles were fine and went to get the mail. I come back in and glance over at the reef while skimming the mail and 2 of them started mating right in front of me! Amazing. They hooked together for about 30 seconds and the female departed to her cave shortly after. Of course, my camera is still in the car and I wanted to kill myself for not documenting it :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back