Eric's market adventure(s)

Now that I have found my camera again (lost it for a while under my bed), I have some more pictures. And this time, a little less depressing.

One of the pictures of the blob in the water is a cuttle. A live cuttle that I have bought out of the little pile of spare change and money generously donated by atticus_finch ( http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?members/857/ - she's still a supporter, although she hasn't been on for a whole year) and set free in the local harbor. Another pic displays some tiny flounder-ish flatfish and what seems to be another species of fish I don't seem to remember. The last one shows 2 Giant cuttles (approx. 4-5 kg) along with a rather large and flat sort of triggerfish. In yellow tubs beside the basin of shrimp behind the basin of cuttle and triggers are what seems to be soem sort of deep water fish, so far, I have no idea what it is, but any has the time to ID it, I will post better pics of it when I travel to the market next time.

[Middle pic is supposed to be view sideways. And I apologise for the quality of that picture, since my camera is kinda old]

Attachments

• conv_289466.jpg
    conv_289466.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 81
  • conv_289467.jpg
    conv_289467.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 66
  • conv_289468.jpg
    conv_289468.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 64
Hmmmmm.

What does a cuttle go for at the market Eric?

Perhaps you could do a better trade (get more $$) if they were marketed as pets, and you set yourself up in a little business where you sold them as such, then maintained the aquariums and provided appropriate prey for a set fee each week/month.

It seems as a 'food item' they are an undervalued resource; perhaps you could raise public awareness and keep them alive.

Due to many local customs, many of those who see a ceph think "food", not "pet". Due to this, it's not very likely that I can persuade the salt water fish keepers of Hong Kong interested in very long. We tend to look for pretty things, like coral, fish, colorful crabs and nudibranchs.

Cephs, being quite abundant in HK's water are usually not exotic enough for your average man. And those in the market are usually quite large and at the end stage of their life. (The cuttles caught were probably caught during the mating season, if my assumptions are correct.) So even if I were to keep them, they would be a seasonal occurence and would have a high natural mortality rate.

[As a side note, our local aquarium/amusmant park has opted to keep Lantern fish and some other animal instead of their display of cuttles and octos, I suspect their just not on display but in the back - the squid display Sepioteuthis lessoniana is still there.]

Moving along my hard-drive, I'm going to post some more pictures.

Foot long prawns...excluding the head.

A shell-less hermit crab (among a dozen or so inside a plastic wash basin, never thought they were edible though (only seen them used as bait)

A a bucket of sting-ray..literally.

[On a deep sea fish thing, any takers?]

Attachments

• conv_289469.jpg
    conv_289469.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 88
  • conv_289470.jpg
    conv_289470.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 91
  • conv_289471.jpg
    conv_289471.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 71
Depends on the size, it takes about anything between 20-40 HKD [[2.5-5 USD]] to buy a cuttle (depending on availability). These cuttles range from the a mantle lenght of 20-30cm.

The larger ones cost a lot more, the larger ones weighing around 3-5 kilos can cost a hefty 100-150 HKD [[12.8-19USD]]

On donations:
I will gladly take donations (via Paypal or cheques), and I will take pictures of every single thing (cuttles, octos, you name it) I buy and set free back into the ocean until my money runs out again.
Since I can't afford the bigger ones with the money and avaliblity issues, I usually end up buying smaller ones on a more frequent basis instead of saving up monmey to buy a few bigger ones.

chrono_war01;77827 said:
Since I can't afford the bigger ones with the money and avaliblity issues, I usually end up buying smaller ones on a more frequent basis instead of saving up monmey to buy a few bigger ones.

Maybe it's better to let the little ones go so they can live out the rest of their life in the ocean. The big ones could already be at the end of their lifespan (and hopefully already mated...). I will be counting my pennies to " adopt and rescue a cuttlefish"...

There's a wide range of animals to set free in addition to cephs. Bamboo sharks,groupers, coral trout, prawns and even the occasional horseshoe crab. Although that would take me hundreds of dollars since I can't just fling it into the local harbor and have to contact the goverment to the speical horsehoe crab habitats.

Sorry for the double posted, but I thought I'd keep things seperate for a bit:

I have recieved funds via Paypal. And that will free at least 2 if not 3 cuttles. The money transferred is translates to near 72HKD (including the transaction fee for using Paypal). I will use 72HKD of my money that I have instead of taking it out of the Paypal account so that I don't have to pay transaction fee over and over again.

If all goes well, I will have pics by September due to the fact that it's not cuttle season and school starts on Friday for me, so I might be a tad bit busy till the dust settles.

Paradox;77814 said:
How much does it cost to free a cuttle?? If I send you money, will you take pics of the one you save and when you let him go? =)

"Eric's SPONSOR A CUTTLE" program sounds nice... You could name the cuttle, and recieve pictures of it, and have Eric release it for a certain price. What do ya think, Eric?

Joey

It's been already a on-going thing. Although it's not limited to cutttles, but anything from fish and cephs to crabs and sharks.and if you want, I'll dump some dead squid in the ocean. ...although that would be a waste of money and food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back