Eric's market adventure(s)

.... and a conservationist is born in Eric; this is how it starts! Now you must make it your mission to stop it.

Just a interesting thing I remember today:

A teacher in our class is a avid diver (he dives everywhere) and the last time I talked to him. I think he mentioned somthing about a Blue Ring spotted on a dive in Hong Kong. Since it happened some time ago, I'm not to sure about the facts, so I'm going to go chase after him for some more info.

...have Blue Rings been spotted anywhere other than Aussie? I've done some quick research but has so far yeilded only things on Blue Rings in Australia.

Hi Eric

there are at least a half dozen species in the Hapalochlaena group and they have quite a wide distribution. Actually, most of the blue rings sold for the pet trade are from Indonesia and Bali in particular.

as far as Hong Kong is concerned it is probably the blue lined octopus H fasciata. Dr Roy will know a lot more about them than me :smile:

Colin

Hooah! I finally found my camera!

Pictures taken in a wet market in Hong Kong. I've done my ritual of buying a ceph and assorted small bycatch and throwing them back into the harbor. But these are either dead or seem to be too weak to make it even if I throw it back.

WARNING! DEAD CEPHS/DYING CEPHS AHEAD!!

Attachments

• conv_289326.jpg
    conv_289326.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 72
  • conv_289325.jpg
    conv_289325.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_289327.jpg
    conv_289327.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 67
Quite some time ago, a bunch of fishermen wanting to use a whole live octo as bait for large groupers (they love to eat cephs) yelled as me for letting a octo for going back into the ocean, they were probably following me since they had a net ready.

OMG! I would steal all those octos and cuttles and squids and throw them back in the minute I saw them! Have you seen that new "live octopus" eating thing? ITS SO GROSS AND EVIL! They get a big bowl with very live and healthy octopus and stap them with chopsticks then wrap them around it and wrip there tentacles off all when the octo is still alive. And finally when its holding onto its last breath they eat it whole!!! YUK!

That is sad, Eric. What I would do for one of those cuttles live! Doing that to octopus (the lower image) is criminal!

More dead cut up cephs.

marineboy said:
OMG! I would steal all those octos and cuttles and squids and throw them back in the minute I saw them!

Marineboy, I understand your desire to save cephs from their salt and peppered, along with some chili sauce on a hot stove grave! But this is not the way to go.

1) Even if I stole them, most of them were dead/dying anyway and would just be another loss for both hungry folks and the fishermen, not to mention it not doing any good to the ocean.

2) If I bought them, I would be broke and have no money (GIVE ME MONEY NOW FOLKS TO SAVE A CEPH! - remember the my first thread?:mrgreen: )

3) If I stole them, I would not only get arrested, but I would incur some bad rep at the wet market and lose my position as "The Guy who sets free stuff" - resulting in me having to pay more than I do know (Regulars get discounts and the occasional freebie.) and they would also refuse to sell anything to me or even give me ridiculously high prices for anything.

It would also be like asking Dr. Steve O'Shea to nuke the bottom trawlers, which in turn, just gave Dr. SOS a valuable complete body of a dead Messie they trawled up.

marineboy said:
Have you seen that new "live octopus" eating thing? ITS SO GROSS AND EVIL! They get a big bowl with very live and healthy octopus and stap them with chopsticks then wrap them around it and wrip there tentacles off all when the octo is still alive. And finally when its holding onto its last breath they eat it whole!!! YUK!

Yes I have seen the tradition (it's not new) of eating live animals such as a octopus. It's not gross nor evil, in fact, it's quite exhilarating and amusing. They get a big bowl (or no need for this if you're near a sea-food tank), the insert a chopstick (usually plastic or silver) into the mantle via the funnel.
The octo is then sometimes placed in a icebath for some unknown reason. The tentacles are then eaten and cut at the end. Each bite is about 1.5-2 inches long, so a fresh common octo could give about 15-25 (depends on size and length of arms) people, since this is not a "main dish" but sort of like a entertainment/thrilling appetizer.
The process of cutting off the arms is done with very sharp scissors, since blunt ones tend to make the process slow and literally "rips off" the arms instead of sever it.
The process usually takes around 3-7 minutes for a group of 10. The octo is usually cooked afterwards. Eating a live octo's mantle is not done since the internal organs contain bacteria and other nasties. If I get the chance to do so again, yes,
I would do so, after all, you only live once, gotta try everything you can.

Attachments

• conv_289339.jpg
    conv_289339.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 84
  • conv_289340.jpg
    conv_289340.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_289341.jpg
    conv_289341.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 71
chrono_war01 said:
If I get the chance to do so again, yes,
I would do so, after all, you only live once, gotta try everything you can.

Well, yes and no...

Small octopuses are eaten whole and alive, actually... The icewater used as described above is to make muscles contract, giving raw fish (and therefore I guess octopus) that "special" bite...

A well known practice in Japan for sashimi.

Hey, this should be in the "cooking on another planet" thread :smile:

jc45 said:
Those pictures of cuttlefish are cruel. Are some of them alive? :mad:

Joey

Look at the grasping tentacle of one of them. Yes they are. It's trendier now than it used to be, but in East Asia this has been going on for, oh, about 5,000 years. Look at the bright side - SOMETHING is going to eat the majority of them alive! It's not like the increase in bat-eating as a barside snack. Most bats live decades and birth and raise one live pup a year - they don't breed fast - one act of vandalism at a bat colony can result in the culmulitive loss of hundreds of years of animal life! With these cephs, however horrifying we may view it, you're dealing with animals that brood thousands of eggs (in the case of octopus) and only expect two or three to reach maturity. Something shall certainly eat them sooner or later.

Still, as a Westerner, I find the entire practice unusually sadistic and vile. But then I'm a cultural chauvinist that way. I also object to the eating of cats and dogs, although I'm told firsthand that they're rather tasty. Cows, however? Pork? Lowly creatures designed solely for my gullet. Don't even get me started on fowl.

I plan on posting pictures of two legged mutton soon...running out of domestic animals.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back