Eric's market adventure(s)

what a fascinating hobby you have... do you ever come across any jellies? I assume that if jellies are eaten anywhere in the world, it would be in Asia... :biggrin2:
If there's one critter thats almost as interesting as cephs, its jellyfish, at least to me.
I guess I have a soft spot for squishy sealife.

I used to too, then I started scuba diving and noticed how jellies end up everywhere, stinging your face, arms and any exposed skin. But non-toxic jellies are certainly fun to watch.

I'm sorry, no jellies in Hong Kong becuase the nets break them into bits as they trawl about. But during my trip to China, I did see locals use sein nets and net for the occasional jellyfish that would float near the surface near the coast. Fascinating stuff, since apparently, it's a common hobby for kids to go swimming with moon jellies and put them in buckets just for the sake of putting them in buckets. I did try and persuade some of the kids to put them back. 5 Moon Jellies survived to float for one more day becuase of that.

lunarsquid;90368 said:
what a fascinating hobby you have... do you ever come across any jellies? I assume that if jellies are eaten anywhere in the world, it would be in Asia... :biggrin2:
If there's one critter thats almost as interesting as cephs, its jellyfish, at least to me.
I guess I have a soft spot for squishy sealife.

You can buy jellyfish pickled in brine here in NZ in Asian Markets, my boss made us all try it :yuck: :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

I didn't enjoy the experience I didn't enjoy her dried chili crabs or dried lemon cuttlefish either (actually I wouldn't even TRY the cuttlefish, it would've been like eating a family member :cthulhu: :cuttlehi: :shock:)

J

chrono_war01;91089 said:
dried lemon cuttle? Never heard of it? Nor the crabs either. Strange. It's probably squid anyway.

Nope.........twas a cuttle (they were whole & just some clarification it was lemon FLAVOURED, not a lemon cuttle as in a species!) and the crabs were complete with carapace/legs and chelae. Those I think she picked up in a market in Singapore!

J

I saw some pretty wild stuff in the Nishiki Market in Kyoto last week. The strangest by far was krill sushi: heads, guts, shells and all on top of a little rice and wrapped with nori. It didn't tasted too bad, but it wasn't something I ever need to try again. There was some other brainy, intestinal, spermy looking glob that I didn't have courage to put in my mouth. There was this other thing that one of my traveling companions had, some kind of herring roe that was all in one big pod. Took forever to chew, and was mostly tastless. Fried shrimp heads. The lots of pickled vegetables, some of them didn't even look like food, rather something the Dr. might pull out of a squid stomach and smelled at least as horrible.

Those Japanese love the octopus and squid too. Grilled squid on a stick was really prevalent as well as the octopus balls, which was a little chunk of octopus arm in a eggy kind of ball with ponzu and mayonaise on top. Those were pretty tasty actually.

I also had a really fantastic sausage in Omiya that had a pig rib for a handle. Pretty clever, and really tasty as well.

We had a student studying the local krill (Nyctiphanes australis) and he insisted on making "krill patties", essentially small omelettes stuffed with krill, they were bad, very, very, very bad! Strong flavoured and full of little crunchy gritty bits :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

never again!

J

We use krill as saturation fishbait...dump the whole box in it and induce a feeding frenzy at your fishing spot. Not really cost effective, really.

Re: Eating kill - I think I've had it before, not the best. But it wasn't bad. Worst thing I've had was cuttle eggs. Tasted like salted coffee. (Salty and bitter) Well, enough about my rambling.

Apologies once again, due to Easter and forthcoming exams. The market was closed down, so no fish. But I promise that I'll go and find something worthwhile to set free the moment I get the chance.

Went to the "Aquarium district" (a.k.a An entire block of LFSs), thought this might make a interesting update:

1) I am offically, a poor man. I looked at the cheapest protein skimmer, looked at my wallet and noticed that I do not even have money for that flimsy, acrylic, DIY-ish thing that probably leaks or somehow collapses at the first sign of usage.

2) Well, the biggest store in the district which has once stocked nautilises have done it again. This time, they put black tip reef sharks (approx 2 feet) and stingrays (diameter approx 30cm.) in a tank that is probably way too small for either of them. Sad things. Then we had 6 or 9 crowie (sp? - the one that has a shiny shell with black spots, contains a harpoon for capturing fish via toxins which are lethal to humans) sitting in a tank too. No pictures becuase they said so (if I can somehow work the name of TONMO and hype it all up, I could probably get away with it...)

Anywho, not much to say other than that I am poor, sharks need more space, pictures are not taken, and well...watch this space. It's the end of the Easter/term break, I'm in the get-up-and-do-something mood.

chrono_war01;92402 said:
Went to the "Aquarium district" (a.k.a An entire block of LFSs), thought this might make a interesting update:

1) I am offically, a poor man. I looked at the cheapest protein skimmer, looked at my wallet and noticed that I do not even have money for that flimsy, acrylic, DIY-ish thing that probably leaks or somehow collapses at the first sign of usage.

If you do frequent water changes, have some live rock and start with a few small fish you should be ok without a protein skimmer. It is best to have one, but most people have had aquariums without skimmers for years before they existed in the aquarium trade.

chrono_war01;92402 said:
Then we had 6 or 9 crowie (sp? - the one that has a shiny shell with black spots, contains a harpoon for capturing fish via toxins which are lethal to humans) sitting in a tank too.

I think you mean cone shells, pretty things but as you say deadly. Maybe their twit of a fish catcher will get harpooned :twisted: Would be poetic justice!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back