Well...it had to be on the web...

Mainboard said:
Three cheers for secular New Zealand! (not to mention that it doesn't just rocks anyways)

Its all action down here, Priministerial limosines unlawfully speeding to rugby matches, pot-smoking Members of Parliment and 1/3 of the governments total debt held in student loans!!

Everyone should come on down, :beer: I'll throw a party with the money I'm gonna save on the new (and utterly ridiculous) interest free student loan. Not good news for the tax payer - but great for me!!!

Gotta love it:lol:

It is unfortunate that the ID thing actually seems to be gaining ground, last I heard a couple of places had started teaching it. Do you guys still get those stickers in the front of bio books saying that "the theory of evolution is a theory, and should be critically examined?"
There is now a push for the same in physics books - with that intellegent gravity thing rearing its ugly head again.

Thankfully the books are not available for teaching here until those small offending stickers are removed :biggrin2:

The major problem occurs in the southern states, for obvious reasons. And yes, I do believe that some of those states still produce textbooks with stickers inside them. Absolutely ridiculous!! What I really really can't believe, though, is that you say the intelligent gravity thing is gaining momentum?!?!?! Soooooo happy to be a Canadian, by-and-large its still pretty secular up here. We just don't care about too much, I mean whats the use getting worked up over something...:biggrin2:

Cheers!

main_board said:
We just don't care about too much, I mean whats the use getting worked up over something...:biggrin2:

Yup--just sit back, crack a beer, and watch the US hand over the 21st century to the rest of the world on a (silicon?) platter. Most of the spoils will probably go to Asia, but I hope :canada: can manage to catch more than its fair share of crumbs.

Don't even get me started. Hey, I have an idea: let's ban stem cell research...after all, it works, and makes sense. Now let's start teaching one religion in all of our schools.
Now let's have a war.

after all, we have to protect our unborn fetuses from radical religious fanatics by blowing up schools somewhere else, right?

Another typical junmai sake fueled rant....

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

Okay, so this biology professor in Kansas gets his butt kicked by two men offended by his recent e-mails where he derided 'intelligent' design. He now claims that he was forced to resign his professorship.

So sayeth CNN.com:
A recent e-mail from [Dr. Paul] Mirecki to members of a student organization referred to religious conservatives as "fundies" and said a course describing intelligent design as mythology would be a "nice slap in their big fat face." Mirecki apologized for those comments.

The actual e-mail was worded as so:

“Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005
Subject: I.D. & Creationism class to be taught at KU this spring!
To my fellow damned,
Its true, the fundies have been wanting to get I.D. and creationism into the Kansas public schools, so I thought “why don’t I do it?”
I will teach the class, with several other lefty KU professors in the sciences and humanities. Class is:
REL 602 Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationisms and other Religious Mythologies.
Tuesdays 7:00-9:30pm. Smith Hall room 100. Open to undergrads and grads.
Enrollment limited to about 120. 3 credit hours.
The fundies want it all taught in a science class, but this will be a nice slap in their big fat face by teaching it as a religious studies class under the category “mythology”. I expect it will draw much media attention. The university public relations office will have a press release on it in a few weeks, I also have contacts at several regional newspapers.
Of course, I won’t actually be teaching I.D. and creationisms, but rather I’ll be teaching ABOUT I.D. and creationisms as modern mythologies, indicating that these ideas have no place in a public school science class, but can certainly be analyzed in humanities classes for their function in society. Basic approach is my usual: anthropology with a focus on religious thought and behavior.
Any ideas for textbooks, guest lecturers and panels would be appreciated.
So far, six faculty have eagerly signed up to lecture. I can probably pull Chancellor Hemenway into this also, especially in the light of his public comments supporting evolution.
Doing my part to p*ss of the religious right,
Evil Dr. P.“

Puerile and a bit childish? Of course. But not a beat-worthy offense. Nor was it an offense worthy of being fired. The thing that troubles me is that no one - not the school trying to save its own butt by turning on one of their own, not the professor in question, nor the ‘men’ who attacked him – no one has stopped to ask themselves a simple question: “Why?”

What is the point? The professor decided to take the low ground, and be insulting and childish. Web sites are already taking sides in this case and are trying to point out that creation-science websites are often full of lies, and scathing, vitriolic hatred of any who oppose their ideas. So… two wrongs now make a right?

The professor needs to take some responsibility. He used pointed, loaded language in an e-mail that only the truly stupid could have ever believed would be non-public. Being an educated man of science, he could have figured out a better way to open debate. He could have made a strong, scientific case for his opposition to ID and creation science. Could have, should have, would have. Whatever.

I have to admit that I tend to be hard on scientists and educators when it comes to issues of ethics. People who are leaders in their fields need to lead by example, and need to be the better person when dealing with those who oppose them. I am seriously disappointed with this professor. In an age where some religious leaders are too powerless to promote good and others just promote pure evil, we need genuine good leaders of the educational elite to act as role-models. Way to go for science! With friends like these you don’t need enemas.

(Just trying to see if you’re paying attention!).

And the school? Well, in typical Kansas “change-the-rules-as-you-go” fashion, they stabbed this guy in the back, rather than help him out and open dialogue between groups. Oh, and they cancelled the ID and creationism as mythology class too. To them I say - Bravo, folks. I’m disappointed in you as well for the reasons described in the above paragraphs. Grow a backbone. They’ve been around since the Cambrian. Oh, and that was a BIT longer than 6000 years ago.

And to the men who beat the professor? Wow! Boy, are YOU religious! If you believe in a devil, I’m sure he’s thanking you for doing his work. Way to be leaders! Way to set religion back 1000 years! I’m glad that the spirit of the 60’s is alive and well… Too bad it’s the 1860’s.

Am I wrong in just wanting a little more civility in the world?

Tired and annoyed, and drinking a sake toddy...

John

Make that a dai ginjo, I'll mirror the event over here in the cold wet Netherlands.

Hmmm, calls for some accompaniment.

No ika, just oh toro, oh no, endangered species,..., urrrr.... cod? No No No!!! Farm raised salmon? Bluech!!! Besides, can't have all that antimicrobial resistance ocurring... OK, I'll settle for a vegetable tempura, organically grown of course...

Whats the deal with sending emails like this? Can they fire people for using the word "fundies" in private emails?

Granted this isn't a very professional email, (far from it) :biggrin2: , but what was he actually "fired" for? I suppose "unprofessionalism" would be the best call, however it still wouldnt require such harsh action.

When they say forced to resign, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he'd refused to go.

Its a very odd situation -

Fujisawas Sake said:
With friends like these you don’t need enemas.
:biggrin2: Now there's a sentence!! :biggrin2:

Nice links, ob. They are well-written and - what do you know? - very civil and respectful. Now why can't they make the news? That's what bothers me about our society in general - the squeaky wheel gets the grease instead of upgrading the system. *sigh*

I appreciate the insight.

John

What? Insightful and respectful ???? What?
We are having pork chops (dry rub, of course) and a selection of cheeses tonight (gotta love that smoked gouda stuff) with a nice cheap bottle of Liebfraumilch (4.99? Sold!)

How's the hangover clearing? You usually spend at least that amount on pain killers the following day, so it's only a steal at 4,99 at first glance :hmm:

I suggest strong black and wholesome jamaica blue mountain :coffee:

Moving off topic here, it seems...

I'll go trawl the web then, shall I?

UMD's Steve Salzberg in the 2 Nov Philly Inquirer:

"Scientists in my lab and others can tell you that developing a vaccine for the flu absolutely requires that we understand its evolution. We can also tell you that the flu doesn't "care" if we believe in evolution. It will keep evolving anyway, and it will kill us if we ignore it"

And, perhaps less poignantly, but as applicable:

"Another recent poll revealed that less than half of the U.S. population knows that the Earth revolves around the sun. Does this mean we should teach that the sun revolves around the Earth? What these polls do highlight, sadly, is the failure of science education."

PS:

Fujisawas Sake said:
Try tempura shiitake mushrooms. I can send you a recipe if you like.

Please do :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back