Well...it had to be on the web...

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by cthulhu77, Aug 18, 2005.

1. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

2. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no.

No, no, no.

I expect GWB would approve.

3. cthulhu77

LOL..."I approve this message"

4. Squidman

Squidman Vampyroteuthis Registered

I'm afraid I don't understand.

?

5. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Well, at least the scientific references are freakin' impeccable:

:roll:

6. chalcosoma

chalcosoma O. bimaculoides Registered

I like this one:

"The word dinosaur is a Greek word meaning "terrible lizard." A dinosaur is simply a giant lizard. They were created in the same six days God created all things and they were contemporary to man."

And this: "Consider the present day Chinese Iguana that grows as large as 12 feet long. Suppose before the flood, in a near perfect environment, he lives 13 times longer and because he never stops growing gets 13 times bigger. That Chinese Iguana would be 156 feet long and about three stories tall. "

So just Remember: "GOD SAID He created all life 6,000-plus years ago and that there were dinosaur-like creatures on the earth.

MAN SAID, foolishness; the dinosaur is over 200 million years old.

Now you have THE RECORD."

And pray you never meet one of those 12-foot Chinese iguanas, or their 6,000 year-old 156-foot mommas ready to kick your blasphemous Darwinist Satan-lovin' butt!

7. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

8. Squidman

Why so caustic about the evolution vs. creation debate?

9. cthulhu77

10. sorseress

They can't be serious!

I'd heard something in passing about this but I thought it was a joke! Are these people for real?????

11. cthulhu77

No, the Onion just points out the fallacies going on in everyday society in a rather ironic way...no worries !

12. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Uh, yeah. The person Sorceress heard it from in passing was me. I thought I'd mentioned that it was an Onion article... :mrgreen:

13. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Frankly, as a Cthulhist, I find all of this - from both sides - laughable. Anyone who wants the actual history of all life on Earth needs to return to the sacred documents: "At the Mountains of Madness" and "The Shadow Out of Time" by Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

I like to call it "Insane Design".

:cthulhu:

14. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

... I'm so lost. (this is fairly usual). What the heck are we arguing? All I know is that as a chritian I hold to the creation beleif, whatever it may be (7 days or millions of years) and I know that evolution exists because we can see it in every day life. Between the two there must be a happy medium. As for the onion guys... doi, gives christians a bad name. I like the theory of gravity personally... but that's just me. And as a non-Cthulhist, WHAT THE HECK IS A Cthulhist? I like the sounds of this insane design, it sounds chaotic!!!!!! Did I cover everything mentioned, or am I just totally off topic?

15. Squidman

That "Intelligent Falling" guy is a prof. at Oral Roberts University.

16. DocFrye

DocFrye O. vulgaris Registered

GPO87, I don't think anyone here is really arguing. We are just enjoying a good-hearted laugh at an evangelicist christian's dogmatic beliefs. However, like others have pointed out, it doesn't really matter. Believe what you want. Maybe desire is the route of all evil, or the spirits of our ancestors protect us on a daily basis, or even that Mary immaculately concieved the son of god who was later nailed to a couple planks of wood. It doesn't really matter to Cthulhu.... those of us that displease him the least can only look forward to having our souls consumed at a later date (later than you who don't offer him your service freely, that is.)

17. Phil

18. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello All,

A majority of Americans already believe in Creationist doctrine, despite having been exposed to evolutionary theory in our public schools. Clearly, Darwin has not corrupted anyone against their will or subverted religious beliefs inculcated outside the classroom. Why then this current push to get Creationism onto the curriculum? Simple, really: the believers want more believers. They aren't called evangelists for nothing, you know.

I, for one, am looking forward to physics being taught alongside magic. Fair is fair.

Cheers,
    Clem

19. Phil

Maybe Intelligent Design will be on the Hogwarts curriculum for the next book?

Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Theory.

Sorry.

20. sorseress

Why not spider woman?

The BBC piece was a thoughtful and well written summary of the questions and problems we Americans must deal with. Personally, I can't understand how anyone can believe in creationism, no matter what new name they give it, but millions of Americans do. A friend has a brother with a masters in geophysics who is an avowed creationist. He uses his scientific credentials to write articles for creationist publications. His convoluted explanations for the existence of fossils are utterly ludicrous, but for people who already believe that the earth is only 7000 years old or so, he is apparently totally convincing. At any rate, he says what they want to hear. What is frightening is when schools are forced to teach theories that are the antithesis of all reason, and against all we have learned from science. Even though most of us will never witness the birth of a new species through evolution, we can and do witness evolution everyday. Bacteria and viruses mutate constantly, creating new versions of themselves in order to meet and overcome the threat to their existance. What is that if not evolution? There are insects and plants that mutate to become more able to deal with their changing environments. That too is evolution. It may not -yet- be a new species, but the changes that it has made to survive are just like what has been happening over the millenia. Given enough time entirely new species may yet appear from those first steps. Or maybe not, because while some mutations are successful, others fail and eventually the species disappears. One way to diffuse controvery is to say, as a theology professor I knew did, " The Bible teaches Who, science teaches how." And that might work for people of faith, but not every one is. There is a great deal of proof for evolution, circumstantial, true, but that's accepted in any court of law, but as far as I can see, not a shred of proof for creationism. It truly frightens me to think that the schools might be forced to teach as science something for which the only "proof" are the writings in a book which is the result of people writing down the tales told around campfires thousands of years ago, It would make just as much sense to accept the Navajo version of creation, or the Mayan, where Ixchel sits at her loom and weaves the fabric of the world and all that dwells in it. As a weaver, I kind of like that one. It too is the result of ancient people telling stories around a campfire. If one is considered to be a myth, then the other should be treated the same way. One person's myth is another person's religion. My 2 cents, for what it's worth.