Squid - O.Briareus...

Squid is doing so well! Put on quite the show for my sister and her husband on my daughters birthday. He has become trained to come out when I tap or knock on the glass. The one pic he again is trying to blend in with his surroundings. (Talk about massive plant growth in my tank, that is a challenge in itself. Squid always comes out and harasses me when I am doing an algae clean-up) He thought he was hidden behind the Eheim tube. It's time to find some blue claws to feed. Curious if he can now open a claw himself. His growth rate is amazing!

I've been slowly winning the algae battle in Yeti's tank by using the siphon on the back wall and double changing the water each week. I can't help but think that high nitrates contributed to Diego's eye problems.

awh hes so little ! i just got one a few days ago too! clarence looks pretty much like this guy !! im looking forward to seeing them grow up :razz:

Oh...he's not so little anymore! I would say curled up he's the size of a grapefruit now! And Di....You were right about the scallop. It's almost like he got pissed off at me when he realized what I tried to feed him one...rotten person that I am....He was mad :mad:....Grabbed my feeding stick after he rejected the scallop and bit it!!! Had quite a tug of war also. So when I offered a large shrimp I had to entice him to even test it to see if he wanted it and then he took it and went to his den to eat. Usually he lingers and pulls on the stick for about 5 minutes, but I think he was really pissed!

:roflmao: I is always amusing when they make a clear statement about something. I wonder how much we miss. We have a standing silliness about feeding Octavia (and LittleBit before) on fast days. She often gets something small on Saturday because I break down and whine, "but she was LOOKING at me!". Tonight it was the reverse, she took her supper to her den (she did not get a snack yesterday) and when she thought I was looking at HER she blew on the mushroom outside her door :biggrin2:.

So....Squid is becoming more and more social. Cleaning his tank was a real challenge yesterday. I had to siphon while keeping an eye out as to his location, cause my cleaning task would have come to a screeching halt had I let him get ahold of my tool. We are constantly under surveillance now. His legs are the size of my fingers.

The bottom picture reminds me of Tatanka :sad:

IMO they are not the most intelligent of the octos (I have been known to call them the dumb blonds of the octo world) but they are arguably the most stunning. Not a lot of variety in their colors but with the shadings they can show and the magnificent web, it is hard to beat O. briareus for octo eye candy.

That's funny! Dumb blonds of the octoworld....They definitely seem to be a little dimwitted but when I was gone for a week and my son was trying to feed him, Squid knew he wasn't me and would not come out for him to eat. Kevin had to poke the shrimp into his den to get him to take it. The night I came home, I knocked on the tank and out came Squid. Kevin was amazed. Said he hardly saw him. So there has to be some sort of intelligence there for him to know that it wasn't me. He ate a piece of bluefish the other day. I was surprised he took it. Then tonight I gave him some plastic colorful rings that are actually a bird toy. He was more pissed that it was not food and was all over the tank and I felt like I was being stalked! He is destroying my decor! Everything he can move is now either lining the back wall of the tank, or piled by his den.

I see you.....

3" Cleaner magnet for size reference....He seeks me out when he wants food....Awesome animal and I am amazed at how big he's gotten!!!

He reminds me a lot of Tatanka and Cassy. Have you determined Squid is a he? I don't remember you mentioning determining his sex but you alway refer to Squid as a "he".

Not sure...I always refer to them as a male until they prove otherwise. He got his first blue claw crab claw today. Di, did you open the pieces for your octopus or just let them figure it out? Squid is getting so social. Very curious. I fed him shrimp yesterday and the attack on the feeding stick was to shoot up the piece of fishing pole and grab my finger. Surprised me! Need to go collecting food today! Need to get some smaller food items also.....I returned from a "school clothes" trip from PA yesterday......The 40 gallon tank in my bedroom is not vacant any more. After careful pondering...I returned home with a new Eheim to replace one of the Eheims on my 70 gallon tank...took 4 buckets of existing water and the old Eheim and worked on the tank in my bedroom till 11 last night.....Not sure what he is but the periscoping eyeball from the back of a rock at the store sucked me right in.....I just had a sighting! He reminds me of a Merc. Has tiny eyespots.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back