Squid - O.Briareus...

LOL, Steve (my oldest) swore my sweet Octavia came after him with a menacing intent when they were last here. When Luis kept LittleBit while we were away, he swore she bit him (no marks and I suspect he only felt suckers and no beak). The question is, "do the kids over act or do the octopuses react differently when we are gone and are secretly conspiring to eat humans?" :sagrin:

Well...I op for the "conspiring to eat humans" as some how...:roll: the communication of how much to feed Squid got lost in the translation between Mom and kids...I had enough jumbo shrimp to last till we returned...upon return there was just as much, maybe minus 1 due to the feeding attempt from daughter who got mauled...apparently this attempt was not attempted again the whole time I was gone. I returned to a mad octopus who I swear knew I was back, who tried to climb out of the tank, once he realized it was me and took 2 jumbo shrimp before he would retreat back into his tank and calm down enough to eat them....Tank will be labeled with large instructions, if I ever leave them in kids care again....

I found taping instructions to the tank was most helpful. It still did not get them topped off daily but it helped a lot otherwise, I may have to learn how to text :roll:

I've got to say Squid has the most personality of any Briareus I have ever had the pleasure to experience. He has discovered there is more to his world than just his tank world. This morning, he was in the "FEED ME" mode so I gave him a shrimp, he grabbed not only my finger but my camera which was (of course) outside of the tank. He has taken to exploring the outside whenever the lid is open. I now have the top not only ducktaped, but weighted down as I am afraid he may discover he can move the one side of the glass when it is closed. He also decided to squirt my shirt which was drenched while he explored the camera with one arm.

We have a drastic change of behavior. Last night I looked at the tank and it was very cloudy. Upon closer inspection, Squid was the cause. She has taken to digging in the substrate. Has barricaded herself in the middle of the tank, pulling any and all unanchored shells, rocks various pieces of coral to the center of the tank. I'm not ready for her to den yet, but this is my suspicion......

Squid made an appearance last night. She really was only in hiding for a day but I'm used to her being out all the time stalking us, sleeping in a corner where we can always see her. She took 2 shrimp so I'm relieved she ate, but abused me with water and legs. Jess said "Mom, your octopus is a beast! You better make sure you have that top weighted down!" She is all over the place and very curious with sticking her legs out of the water and feeling whatever she can on the outside of the tank. I feel like she's gettting a little aggressive as I went in to clean the Eheim strainer and she came at me really quickly even with while eating.

Interesting wrinkles in her mantle. I make the assumption when the first one shows that they have reach puberty but I don't recall seeing multiples like that.

If she is about to brood (and her disrupting the substrate and collecting things suggest it - two of mine hauled large rocks through the 6inch tubes between the tanks) , her demand for food may be the reason for the aggression but my females never turned aggressive just before brooding. You might want to double check your water if she appears anxious to get out. There might be dead crabs lurking behind the rock impacting the water quality.

Do we know Squid is female? My males have done some unusual tank redesign, especially with the sand when they started into senescence.

I have some sad news....Squid died in my hands 3 days ago. I was so upset I did not want to let you know. He ate with gusto an extra large shrimp 4 days before he died. The following feeding he only ate maybe a quarter of the shrimp. He started hanging out on the back of the tank with the curley cue look and died within 24 hours. I had picked him up and put him in a net so nothing would bother him and he died in my hand. He was an amazing animal. I measured his mantle. It was 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. He was quite the character and I will miss his antics very much. This is what is so hard about having them in my home. I get attached, some more than others. He definitely touched me more.

I am not sure what is worse, seeing the languish or the surprise deaths. The surprises bother you for a long time, going over and over what might have happened (and I know you are doing this by even mentioning the shrimp). One that always bothered me was Linda's el Diablo. Not even being one I kept, I still think about her report on the inking and wonder. I thought on it again when the little hummelincki came in black water. She was not dead long ...

There is something about O.briareus that is exceptionally appealing. Maybe it is the long reclusive time and the slow acceptance (or arguably their best of show looks) but I prefer to have one of this species and the second most any other. Little Yeti is no different and we delight in her little monkey personality (not so crazy about her half out of tank experience just before we leave town though). I share your sadness on the end of a special one :cry:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back