Squid - O.Briareus...

I am in awe at the growth since Squid came to live with us! Last sighting was 3am in the morning when we arose to go catch a plane to Costa Rica...he was hanging off the famous green mega block but by the time I got my camera he was on the back wall. Curled up size is about the size of a tennis ball. I am amazed. This morning the "eye" was out so I threw in a crab, ran and got my camera and here are the results!!!:smile:

Squid is getting more & more interested in us! Still a little shy, but will now come to the glass when I wave a crab outside of the tank. Last night I'm not sure if he was mimicking the starfish, but check out this pic!

You certainly could make a case for matching camo on that one, particularly the way the eye area is shaded and then the darker stripe along the mantle. Best in tank camo I can remember!

Hopefully I will start the long intro process with a little briareus tomorrow, IF he does not escape and if he make shipping.

4 Months as of Thursday May 17th! We are making huge progress! He likes freshly frozen shrimp and played tug of war with my feeding stick which is a piece of a broken fishing pole! Grabbed my finger and also terrorized me when I did a cleaning and water change the other night! He kept popping up in different places for about 1/2 hour but finally realized I was not going to bother him and went back to his new spot and sat there watching everything! He still can be very skittish and I have found he tolerates the camera as long as I don't flash him and with a flashlight.

That bottom picture is adorable!

I do hope our new one is surviving. Not finding him is killing me but he was so small and the tank so large the he could be anywhere. He was NOT in the filter sock when I changed it today (actually a place I would not worry about him as both Cassy and Tatanka did time in the filter sock and it may have been part of the secret to their survival).

Squid came out last night. Was very curious about me and the camera! His growth rate is amazing. He is now, curled up about the size of an orange. Eating very well. Eating me out of my crab stash really quickly!

I really like that little "prickley" look they have sometimes. I wish I could find our little guy. He showed up a couple of nights ago but has been elusive again since.

Squid is definitely becoming more and more social. This morning we played how long can I pull the feeding stick! Kevin got the whole thing on video! I was almost late for work!!! Will have to see if he uploaded it yet and will try to link it here!!! :smile:

I got a video!! Just not sure how to post it as my children are more adapt at these kinds of things than r I....He's seems like he's bigger every time I see him out! His new thing is sitting near the top of the waterline, at first my son thought there was a problem with the water, but he inches up there to watch us until we discover he's watching and then he makes a very stealth getaway! Loves trying to capture the feeding stick!

His arms look looooooong!

For videos, tell Jesse :biggrin2: that she will have to upload the video to someplace like YouTube and then link it to a post. Use the long link option for the code to copy then click the film icon above and past the link in the pop up window.

Good News!!! Squid likes scallops! I gave him one the size of a 50 cent piece tonight and he ate almost all of it. He is coming out more and more! I'm a little hesitant on letting him get a hold of my hand. I am trying to let him get used to my hand being near him but I am afraid he may not let go from the way he likes to grab onto the feeding stick. My son took a picture of him on the front of the tank by the magnet, which I will post as soon as he sends it to me. The 2 I am posting, I took tonight. You can see him mimicking the colors around him! It's been 6 months since Squid came to live with us. More than once I have found him on the glass watching us!

Squid is a definite keeper :biggrin2:. Be sure to post if he continues to eat scallops. I have had luck with feeding scallops once per octopus and then they have refused them. I am not clear as to why though and it may be that they get freezer burn or something else changes the taste but the one-time-only has happened with more than one animal and I have not tried them again in a long time.

Thought I posted this yesterday but am not sure where it went!!! My son took this shot! The cleaner magnet is 3"....Great size reference!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back