Squid and Octopus spotting

A colleague of mine just returned from Italy and snapped a photo of this pretty cool fountain in Monopoli... and if I didn't want to visit Italy before, I do now. :cool2:

Attachments

• conv_298307.jpg
    conv_298307.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 86
Casa Calamari

LOL Kiboko and Level Head -- good'uns!!!

Well, here's one that proves how cephalofriendly we Noo Yawkers are. Sure, I know the little chef is un polipo, not un calamaro -- not to mention that pesky little apostrophe in the motto -- but still in all, we even name our restaurants after 'em. How cool is that? Fuhgeddaboudit!

PS: Sorry, all you Antipodeans -- they don't deliver to New Zealand. :sad:

Attachments

• conv_298344.jpg
    conv_298344.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 77
Well, since octopuses are not averse to eating octopuses, I imagine that they'd have no problem preparing squid. They might even be particularly good at it.

In fact, the octopus above seems to have the nickname "Calamari At" -- followed by the properly apostrophied "It Is Best." For how else could you explain that apostrophe?

That mouth-like shape in the front is remarkably good camouflage coloration, isn't it? It looks almost as though the octopus has a mouth there, which is silly on artwork that seems to have even gotten the horizontal pupils right.

But that pseudo-mouth shape is convincing ... perhaps this part of the creature is destined to evolve into a specialized "speaker" area.

I should probably contribute something around here -- and I have an octopus reference that I am actually a bit saddened to offer, considering the unfortunate timing and the nature of the reference.

In 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea -- the first movie I ever attended (to the best of my memory) and one that made quite an impression on me -- there is a scene in which Captain Nemo is dining with his new "guests" on board the mighty Nautilus (itself a cephalopod reference, of course).

The dinner conversation starts at about 2 minutes in to this video:

The reference I was thinking about happens at about 4:30. Harpoonist Ned Land thinks he is eating "pudding"...

Ah, I'd forgotten -- an octopus is on camera during the last few seconds of this segment.

And of course, the mighty squid makes a shocking appearance later on.

DWhately, I apologize for the 4:30 video reference. Even the crude Ned Land would say it was tasteless.

I don't think I have ever seen this in color and don't remember if I ever saw it in its original form. Definitely on my look up and watch list now.

My pat answer to any ribbing or other "sensative" references is, "I keep food as pets". I am never offended (especially when the references have the intent to "shock") when eating the bounty of the ocean is brought to my attention. I look logically at octopuses as the "chicken of the sea". They provide food for others (human and non) in all stages of life. The fact that they are facinating as living animals is why I keep them but IMO it would be senseless to be upset about their consumption. Looking at it logically, I eat eggs, or put another way unborn chickens. Where the puree of octopus egg pudding still has a :yuck: effect on me, it is no worse than scrambled eggs.

It is all in the wording and conditioning (see my above ammendment as you were typing). This does NOT mean I don't react (as was intended by the author) but the logical side of me sees the parallel and knows the wording is intended to garner a reaction.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back