Squid and Octopus spotting

Here's one from years ago that I haven't seen referenced:
29crudz.png

He's the chef from Harryhausen's sushi restaurant in Monsters Inc. (2001).

Of note for Pixar fans: The painting on the wall behind him includes (at right) Marlin, Nemo's father from Finding Nemo -- a film that would not be released until 2003.

Marlin as sushi-material is a somewhat grim sort of humor for Pixar. But they aren't always clowning around.

As I recall, it was a sort of crawling "thing" that had just been sliced in half by the chef. That, apparently, was all the preparation it needed.

Of course, the restaurant itself is named for Ray Harryhausen, special-effects master of the film industry for decades. Here's Harryhausen's approach to an octopus (and the trailer features a real octopus as well):

I had not seen this one either, nor have I watched any of the colorize films so I did both. I am amazed at the quality of the colorization. Almost as amazing to me was the primary message of the 1955 film :wink:

Lovecraftian Subway Graffiti!

Spotted on the southbound platform of the Union Street subway station (Exotic Brooklyn, Noo Yawk). Who is this graffiti artist, and why doesn't he or she sell prints of this on Etsy?

Attachments

• conv_298370.jpg
    conv_298370.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 101
Paul Allen's (of Microsoft fame) yacht: Octopus
Very cool! I was tied up next to her in St.Barts. I was captain of a 125' Broward at the time. That thing is HUGE. And the amount of crew it had was unbelievable. In the week that i sat next to it I met five or six new crew members a day and when I left I had only met about 25% of the crew.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back