• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Aquatic Connections:

Iv emailed this place...it was mentioned on here, but im comfirming that they do indeed have octopus in stock and usually on a regular basis. Their located in Florida and offer "atlantic octopus" as listed, but is described as a Caribbean octopus...im guessing it's just a Vulgaris living in tropical waters. They sell for 60 bucks for sizes from 2 to 6 inches.

http://www.aquacon.com/cephalopods.html

Abdopus aculeatus availability

It must be the season for collectors in Indonesia to work the reef flats and come up with A. aculeatus. Several have appeared in the shipments into the Bay Area in the past couple of days. I just watched as an LRS in Berkeley unpacked four, large, healthy animals. If you want a heardy, day active animal that has incredible displays (this is one of the bipedal species), I would think that now would be a good time to check out your LRS. These animals won't live more than four or five months given their size, but I find them one of the most interesting octopus we have studied. Also, in contrast to mimics and wunderpus, I have no concerns about this species being threatened (except possibly by habitat loss). They are common in Indonesia and northern Australia and probably in other areas of region.

If you want to see what they look like, search the photo album for "aculeatus) where I have posted several images.

Roy

oh and by the way if anyone is intrested, their is currently a briareus avialable on ebay, i would take it but my aquirium hasent circulated yet.

A. aculeatus get to a mantle size of around 5 cm and an arm span of about 30 cm. We keep our experimental animals in 15-20 gal systems. They would be fine in anything from 30 gal up. We have kept many in the lab and have had no escapes.

Roy

Roy's comments seem consistent with the fact that I just got an aculeatus from the Bay Area. I must confess that as of yet it's not particularly day active; since it's in a room with windows I have only partial control over the lighting, and it doesn't come out until 7 pm or later. Mine is perhaps also not a full grown adult, as its mantle is only 3 cm or so at present.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1Q...geNameZMERCQ5fVICQ5fReBayQ5fPr4Q5fPcNQ5fQ5fSI

2X 1Small Octopus briareus ,head is 1/2 inch!!
20.00 Buy out
this is where i got meatwad
Guy is not bad to deal with. packs the animals ok and will replace animals that die in shipping.
if your ready for and octo hes got them
Meatwad comes out all the time during the "day" meaning i turn the lights on.
I Just had to bribe him
evertime I turn the lights on I put a food item in the tank
hes getting used to that :smile:

Nancy,

From field observations in Indonesia and Australia, they breed year round. I suspect the availability depends more on weather (particularly winds). They are usually found in very shallow water. If there is much wave and wind action, they are difficult to spot. When it is calm, they are much easier to collect.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back