• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Their policy states - eBay generally does not allow the listing of live animals or pets on eBay.

They have a whole other section with different regulations from US Fish & Wildlife. I'm confused though as to why they are allowing him to continue selling dwarf seahorses and some corals.

corw314 said:
Their policy states - eBay generally does not allow the listing of live animals or pets on eBay.

They have a whole other section with different regulations from US Fish & Wildlife. I'm confused though as to why they are allowing him to continue selling dwarf seahorses and some corals.

When I was looking at their policies regarding the blue ring for sale, they had a specific exception for "tropical fish" or something like that. It was unclear to me whether "fish" included invertebrates... I couldn't come up with a specific statement to point at that said selling octopuses was or wasn't in the allowed regulations, but I think they did have some restrictions on "potentially lethal things." I remember it took me over an hour of looking to find even that, though, so I don't have time to find it again now...

Shippers particularly usually have policies against living things, but make a blanket exception for "Ornamental Marine Life" because of the business volume. Is that the phrase that eBay used, Monty?

Most shippers have a superceding policy of no venomous creatures no matter what. eBay aside I think its interesting that there are a number of retailers out there selling blue rings online who don't mention the fact that they can kill when the nice man in the brown shorts comes to pick up the day's freight. :smile:

Dan

DHyslop said:
eBay aside I think its interesting that there are a number of retailers out there selling blue rings online who don't mention the fact that they can kill when the nice man in the brown shorts comes to pick up the day's freight. :smile:

Dan
That'll teach those UPS guys to thrash my boxes!

Just goes to show how little care is acutally involved in the business end of the hobby.

The Ebay Octo is back listed for as of now 2 days and 5 hours.
I would like to purchase this guy for my 150 galleon tank
If there is no objection of course

Go for it! I actually bought an octopus frmo this seller the other day. Been swamped with work and weekend preparations, but will upload a report and photos soon!

O. Mercatoris Hatchlings Free

We have about 30 O. Mercatoris hatchlings available to Tonmo members. It's free in the Bay Area if you can come over to pick it up.

Otherwise, if you want it shipped to you, New Alameda Aquatics will ship it to you for $50 overnight delivery.

Contact me, and I'll let New Alameda know to be expecting your order. I'll most likely drop them off after 4th of July so they'll be overnighted.

Two warnings:

1) These are hatchlings. EXTREMELY small and difficult to rear. They are at MOST 1/4" long - most are smaller than that.

2) This species is nocturnal and secretive - though being captive bred they might respond a little differently.

Let me know if you want some.

On the other hand, the mercatoris hatchlings are from large eggs and are fully formed little octos, so they can be raised. Not all will live, of course, so if you're taking some, you might get at least 5 or 6 instead of just 1 or 2.

When are the remaining ones going to go to Dr. Caldwell's lab?

Nancy

They will be going on Wed. evening to give Tonmo members a chance to get back from their 4th of July vacations and speak up.

We scooped another batch out today and there's probably another 3-5 in the tank still. I think another 8-10 were scooped out today.

Only 8 are spoken for - unless Paradox wants a few more but that still leaves about 20 hatchlings left (if they will eat the tigger pods).

S

Yes

Righty and I have both responded. As of yet there's no species info or even pics...I'd like to know a bit more before committing.

--Jay

I hope one of you takes him!

Reading the posts, I'd say the owner is asking for some token in exchange for the octopus so he doesn't have to tell his girlfriend he gave away her gift.

Nancy

I just wanted to let you all know that while I was looking at setting up an aggressive species tank I stopped by That Pet Place in Lancaster Pennsylvania (its about 40 minutes north of me) and they DO sell octos. However, when I was there last (about 1 month ago) the octo that they had there was classified as "common brown octopus"... which kind of made me laugh since there is nothing "common" or "brown" about most octos.

Also, The Hidden Reef that was mentioned earlier that is located in downtown Philly recently burned to the ground in some sort of freak fire accident. I hear that they are rebuilding and will be open for business again, though I am not sure when that is going to be. I'll try to see what I can find out.

-UPDATE-

I have just contacted some people I know that work at That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA. I was told that on average they have 1-2 octopi every month, sometimes up to 4 per month that arrive. They are mostly O. Vulgaris... every 1-6 months they will get in 2 Cuttlefish. They DO ship mail delivery, of course they cannot guarantee safe shipping due to inking and such. :roll:

I asked about the average age of the little guys when they get in, and I was told that the O. Vulgaris is either in their 1st month of life up to 4 months TOPS. :biggrin2:

The largest they had ever gotten in was 5-6 inches from tentacle to tentacle with 1.5-inch mantle. They had even gotten in a mimic octo once, though they didn't even know it was a mimic until about 3 months later. Of course, the little guy didn't survive long but that is to be expected with mimics.

So, for those who are ready and looking it would appear that there is a stable provider... quantity may not be there, but its a start. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back