Octopus Availability

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I am almost sure it is briareus and am sooo tempted but the seller has not sold on Ebay before and is not likely to know how to ship the little guy (and money is just too tight right now). It appears that he does dive if you look at his feedback so he may have caught it himself but the list of what the little guy is eating is suspect. You have seen how fast they grow so you know a nano is totally out of the question for even a few weeks but will the buyer? It does get frustrating when this kind of listing gets posted.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
dwhatley;139033 said:
I am almost sure it is briareus and am sooo tempted but the seller has not sold on Ebay before and is not likely to know how to ship the little guy (and money is just too tight right now). It appears that he does dive if you look at his feedback so he may have caught it himself but the list of what the little guy is eating is suspect. You have seen how fast they grow so you know a nano is totally out of the question for even a few weeks but will the buyer? It does get frustrating when this kind of listing gets posted.

The guy lives right by me. I have a tank I could stick it in but it is not cycled.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
It that is an actual picture of the little guy I would be cautious as curling of the arms like that usually means they will probably die.

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Supporter
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know Tom has another briareus in. And his new site makes it very easy to order. I only wish I had a 75g available.

:)GlassDragon

Blue Ring
Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we're headed back out of town in about two weeks - for two weeks. I've got a 135gal I've been waiting until all the summer trips were over to try to find something special for. :sad:

Although, it's hard for me to tell but, it looks a little bigger than I'd hope to find too...

bluespotocto

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Does any one know where there is a aculeatus for sale. My bimacs life is coming to a close, so i think i want to try a different species out.

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Supporter
Reaction score
Glass Dragon. I think that Tom is usually pretty consistent with not catching adult briareus. The picture shown I think is just the picture for the item in general not "what you see is what you get".
Here is D's journal on the one she received from tom.
Here is AM's journal on the briareus he recieved from tom.
Sorry if I am telling you information that you already know.:oops:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom collects all sizes. You can request a small one (or email and ask what is currently in stock) and he will keep you on a notify list for 30 days. IMO He is pretty good a mantle size judgement and anything an inch and a half or less seems to be a good size.

One warning about the WC Caribbean species (this is not specific nor exclusive of Tom or the briareus), the octos will likely have arms missing that were lost before capture. This is normal and not a problem but upsetting to some people that don't expect to received a damaged animal.

:)GlassDragon

Blue Ring
Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking that the picture might be a general photo too Tommy, I just can't tell (or remember) who lists things how these days. :oops: I hadn't looked at Tom's site in a while though - it looks really nice and is much more user friendly IMHO.

Dwhatley - thanks for the reminder/info about Tom being flexible. I really was hoping to look into finding a new fellow for the 135gal tank as soon as we get back from this final summer trip.

Lost arms aren't a problem to me (heck, I've got no room to complain - I'm missing a few fingers :sagrin: and mine aren't growing back!) and, in fact, my first octo was missing part of an arm. I guess it was really kinda why I took it in....it seemed like a bit of a kindred spirit. :wink:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
They are doing some interesting studies on a letent regeneration gene but it won't help you or Neal I am afraid (research is far too new). Kat posted an article awhile back but I could not find the thread. I did locate an article similar to her post though. I suspect cancer or diabetes will be the first thing they target with anything they can control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Westvanchris

Mobile app users
Latest mobile user

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak