Octopus Availability

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Always a concern if a merc is out in bright light and the price is way out of line. When the FL collectors have them available they run about $30 +SH

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
That's not to mention the guy only ships to places in canada unless you have an import license.

corpusse

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
dwhatley;139959 said:
Always a concern if a merc is out in bright light and the price is way out of line. When the FL collectors have them available they run about $30 +SH
Out in bright light?

Octopus are other cephs are very difficult to obtain in Canada.

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I was speaking for U.S. but I guess it might be good for you.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
corpusse;140241 said:
Out in bright light?
Mercatoris is a nocturnal species. I have only seen them out in the kind of lighting in the video when they are in their last week of life (my guess is that their eyes are no longer as light sensitive).

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine at Reefscavengers.com. It's listed under Two-spot octopus and the correct name is Octopus Hummelincki. If they do get them in they get them sunday so check then.

mofitn357

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure what saltwaterfish.com is selling? I sent them an email asking what species they had and recieved this response-

We have a caribbean octopus. We are unsure of the exact species. It is not a Hummelincki.
Thanks for your e-mail,
Kim @ Customer Support

Could it be briereus?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The three most commonly caught in the Caribbean are briareus, mercatoris and hummelincki. A photo or arm length, mantle length and mantle diameter would likely determine which of the three it would be (so bug them some more, customer service may need coaxing but it still exists if you are persistent in many cases). There are Vulgaris but we haven't seen them much. When we do they are usually from the more northern areas or the Atlantic.