• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

If you go back, take your camera but if you forget and carry a cellphone that has a camera, use that :razz:.

Sometimes a photo is helpful, especially if you can find out its original habitat. A photo may help to see an eyespot that was not obvious on observation (if it does this reduces the field a lot). Even photoing just the eyes can help to see a star pattern (aculeatus has one but I see one on hummelincki too). A picture may also show the outer rings on the suckers. Hummelincki and aculeatus usually show blue/purple, vulgaris almost black and bimac an orange. The underside of hummelincki and aculeatus is often a speckled peach but you need to remember that these creatures can alter their color and usually is not always

Unfortunately, asking these ID questions will likely get you nowhere even from the collector :hmm:

Lmecher;143916 said:
That never crossed my mind, it could have been one of those fresh water octopuses :bonk:
I will ask :biggrin2:

Exactly! And be sure to speak to someone "knowledgable". :wink: Oh, and don't forget literate... although if fresh/salt wasn't noted on the bag it arrived in, they probably won't know that either.

Have we mentioned lately that Dana claims to have several small briareus available for $25?

octopus9;140765 said:
In stock Atlantic Pygmy Octopus:

pygmyoctopus.jpg

http://reefscavengers.com/

:boat::boat::boat::boat::boat::boat:

Just thought someone should note that this pic used by reefscavengers is not O. mercatoris. :sink: This is Andrew Newton's photo of O. superciliosus. (Good catch Dwhatley!)

gholland;143918 said:
Exactly! And be sure to speak to someone "knowledgable". :wink: Oh, and don't forget literate... although if fresh/salt wasn't noted on the bag it arrived in, they probably won't know that either.

Well alls I got to say is if it is a freshwater octopus, they are so rare, I'm buying it. :roflmao:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back