• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Does any one know how often reef scavengers get there linkis in or do you know other places that have hummelinkis? Has any one had any trouble with reef scavengers not emailing them back?

THanks

Some people have had problems with being E-mailed back... I don't think I have. I got a Hummelincki from them and when I got it they were getting one in every sunday however I don't think they've gotten any in since then so I wouldn't count on them getting one in soon.

gholland;143680 said:
I think this is a newly available octo even though it is the same link as a week ago...
Liveaquaria.com
SW - Octopus - Assorted - (Indo Pacific)
$ 59.99

Yes, just emailed them, heard back in a matter of hours. I inquired as to the species they had avaliable as they have differing requirements such as tank size. Here is the answer they gave me tonight.
Also have (Caribbean) listed as avaliable.

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your email and interest in LiveAquaria. We sincerely apologize we are unable to guarantee the specific of Octopus that you will received as they are assorted. Unfortunately it is hard to determine what species we will have in stock at the time of your order. Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for choosing Drs. Foster & Smith LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

I would be interested in experiences others have had buying octopuses from them. I know they are reputable as I have bought inverts and corals from them and they are a terrific company to deal with but I am a little leery making a purchase like this, not knowing what I'm going to get. :confused:

Have a look at the List of our Octopuses 2008 and 2009 (the two posts not stuck to the top of the forum). If a journal included the purchase information, you will see liveaquaria or diver's den or whatever listed after the species (the keeper's state may or may not be inbetween) and you can review the results.

My impressions have been that you cannot beat their shipping and handling but the animals age and description are problematic. I wish I knew for sure that the Caribbean octo was (could be mercatoris, briareus or hummelincki with a smattering of macropus). The indo animal is usually A. aculeatus but sometimes it is a smaller Abdopus complex animal and may have been a medium sized animal in the macropus complex on one occasion. At one time you could beg them to photo the holding tank but the last time someone volunteered to "go look" the keeper did not get the species of animal they photographed (but was very happy with the one he got) and now I don't think they will even do that. I do know that they monitor our site some :smile:.

I wish they would post the octos and ask for an id, everyone would be happier and the would likely sell them faster.

A LFS near me has an octopus marked "octopus". I inquired and was told he didn't know anything except it is supposed to be a big one. He said I'd have to ask the owner who was off today. They were asking $99.00. From what I saw it looked small. It was in a tank with 1 small piece of rock and it was peeking over the top. He was a very cute little guy but the price was pretty steep. Although when you take into consideration how much I am going to pay for shipping it dosen't seem so bad.

Just called and spoke to someone knowledgable (??) he said it came in just marked octopus, boy that was helpful.
He is going to call his supplier Monday. I told him if they don't know the species to find out where it was collected.
What else should I have asked?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back