• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[FEATURED]: Mazer - O. briareus

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
It's been waaaay to long since I've journaled an octopus. But it's been a while since I've had one as awesome as Mazer. He's lived here since May, but it took him at least a month to warm up and come out a bit. He came from KP Aquatics, and is one hell of a character! Not sure if he's a briareus or joubini- I thought he'd be bigger by now if he's a briareus. Thoughts?

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Gorgeous!! And great to have you back, @sedna! :smile:

sedna

Staff member
Some of the first pics I got of Mazer, way back in June. He loves to come out in the morning and watch the action as people get ready for the day. After the gang has left and it's just me, he'll hang out for quite a while, playing as the sun rises with me. It's become the best morning ritual ever! I've always enjoyed these guys in the evenings, but Mazer is a morning person for sure.

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
You do such a good job with your cephs. Impressive stuff!

sedna

Staff member
When he began to get a bit bolder, I put a chunk of shrimp into a small jar to feed Mazer. At this point I was pretty surprised that he came out for it when the lights were on. That's not a problem anymore!

sedna

Staff member
Maser passed away last night. I feel so incredibly lucky to have had him for nine months! He came last May, and was very shy for a month or so. He was so much fun for a good long time! In the last month and a half he was really only coming out when the lights weren't on, so I didn't get any good senescence pictures. He did do a lot to keep me company during my morning workouts though, and I miss that.

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
I'm sorry for your loss, @sedna. Great job in ceph care as usual. Thank you for sharing Maser with us!

Members online