Mark Montague (monty)

tonmo;159514 said:
Excellent idea. Award goes to the person who best exemplifies / embodies the TONMO.com spirit, which in my book Monty was tops (it was a main factor in how he was given the associate webmaster title for a time)..

I think this is a great idea, and agree with you Tony, Monty indeed embodied the spirit of this website. At least we know he will never be forgotten!

The news of this has only just really hit me. I'd seen people posting on his FB wall and it didn't click until I read this.

There isn't much left that I can say which hasn't already been said, however as a young Marine Biologist he was someone who was constantly encouraging me to really push myself and he really funded my passion for all things cephy. I've been privileged to keep many cephs through my career and his unfaltering passion meant that he always wanted my input and thoughts.

A truly great person throughout not only this community but the whole aquatics world. His voice and his influence will be felt for years to come and I think that it is a testament to forums like this that even after his passing, his words and teachings will be read by new people to the hobby for years to come.

You will be dearly missed!

I echo the responses about how welcoming he was. He helped my son Garrett feel like one of the group at TONMOCONIII even though he was only 8 years old. Thanks for all the ways you spread "the love of cephalopods".

I’m saddened at the news of losing “Monty” Mark Montague
A shock that he was taken with so many years in store
His contributions here were large, and anything but vague
And it is such a loss to think there won’t be any more

Friend Monty was a brilliant man, involved with JPL
He had a vintage Mustang that he hoped to get restored
His interest in cephalopods we here know very well
But his far-ranging intellect, it seems, was never bored

A shining light extinguished at the edge ‘tween sea and land
He floated at the boundary and left this world behind
My thoughts go to his loved ones and the friends at every hand
Like you, I’ll fondly keep our friend and comrade on my mind

I missed Tonmocon III due to scheduling problems, and am kicking myself over it now. Monty was an all around stand-up guy, one of the nicer people I've known, and an incredible asset to everyone around him.

I haven't been around here for quite a while. I wish I had been.

Monty was the kind of man who would drive all the way from Altadena to Hollywood to help you move. Getting a Southern Californian to drive a couple of blocks to do that is akin to pulling teeth. I think, in a very humble way, that says a great deal about the kind of great guy he was, and always shall be in the hearts of those who knew him.

Some pics.

Attachments

• conv_296639.jpg
    conv_296639.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_296641.jpg
    conv_296641.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 107
Such sad news. I am deeply sorry for his family and girlfriend and everyone here. Reading everyone's memories of Monty online and at three TONMO gatherings, what strikes me is just how gracious he was, sharing his curiosity and knowledge in an encouraging way, never pointing out how much he knew about cephalopods than most of us. The picture of Monty in the top hat, with the shower curtain in the background, illustrates the levity he brought even to something he pursued with serious intelligence and analysis. An award in his memory is a lovely idea.

Mark Montague (monty)

FYI I've been told that CalTech is tentatively looking at a memorial service for Monty (open to all) on October 2nd (his birthday). I heard from both his European relative and also the person managing his personal page at CalTech.

I think that would be a good time for us to have our Kraken toast (see Kraken Spiced Rum thread in the Culture forum).

I've also drafted a memorial page to reside on TONMO.com and I've posted it on one of my Facebook threads so TONMOers there can provide any edits or input before I post it publically.

There are many close family and friends following this thread. If anyone has any other photos of Monty that haven't already been posted in this thread, please add them here. They will be used for a memorial service being organized by his primary place of work (CalTech).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back