Mark Montague (monty)

This is awful, I just can't believe I'm reading it. Mark was a lovely chap and quite brilliant. He had time for everyone, was a fantastic moderator and a real asset. I never actually met him, but still feel as if he was a friend from all the online conversations we had here and elsewhere. Why is there no justice in the world?

RIP Mark. My heart goes out to your family and friends.

This news is truly saddening. Best wishes to his family and friends. He will forever remain in the thoughts and memories of those he encountered both in person and online.

I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear this. He made quite am impression on me and Kevin and Jess, not only as a fellow staff member, but I am so glad I made it to Sarasota and was able to spend quality time with him. RIP Monty. Your spirit and wisdom will live on in Tonmo.com for many years to come. Condolences to his family and friends.

These are warm (yet pained) words from you all. I posted this on Facebook, and I want to share it here as well:

I was contacted by a family member of Monty's. Please PM me if interested and I will send you more details about ways to send condolences, etc. (I am awaiting this info but hope to get it soon). I will also work on a letter to his parents at her suggestion, regarding his impact on the cephalopod community. I'd like to get your input on it once assembled prior to sending, and would like to add you to the "signature" line.

Tony, If they find out why this happened, will you ask them to let us know? It probably was from an unknown heart problem, or an aneurysm or something like that, but we have a lot of divers on the list, and if there's anything that could prevent future tragedies it would be good to know.

This is from when Monty visited me and my then husband two summers ago. He was great fun to be around, he could talk at length about an amazing variety of subjects. He was open to new things such as new board games, cricket and even tried balancing my dance scimitar.

Tony, If you want individual quotes with signatures, I put a short thought on his FB page that sort of sums up the encouragement I have personally had from Monty.

My thanks for the ceph articles, the continual scientific quest and the encouragement to read and understand material on our mutual passion, mine as a keeper, yours as a student of their biology. It will be a long time before I really understand that you are not here. "D"

It doesn't incorporate the fun and reason for the two icons I made with him in mind, it doesn't incorporate the loss that we will feel progressively but it does expose one the the things he most excelled at, encouraging and giving a push to others to find, read and think about self education.

It is always so sad to lose somebody that made such a huge impact within the community. If I said anymore, it would just be paraphrasing all the posts above me.

But...Dear Monty,
Rest in peace, sir, rest in peace.

D - yes, I plan to use quotes from those who reach out and want to be part of the letter. I did see all the posts on Monty's Facebook wall as well.

Sharon - no word yet. This relative is from Europe but she'll be working to get this info. It's hard because everyone close to Monty is suffering. I'll reach out to the distro as soon as I hear more so folks can send flowers or even attend any memorials as appropriate.

My approach is this:

1) Draft the letter in the next couple of days.

2) Send to distro for input

3) Make any edits and send to address provided

4) Incorporate into memorial page that will reside on TONMO.com.

Tony,
I was thinking maybe his staff page would be a good place for a long term memorial if you haven't already come up with a way to present it.

This was appalling news. Monty was exceptionally intelligent, curious, disciplined, and decent, one of my favorite combinations. I'm startled by his sudden death, a death at sea, no less. I hope he'll receive the send-off he deserves and would have wanted.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back