Mark Montague (monty)

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by tonmo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

I am extremely sorry and personally shocked to share the news that Mark Montague (monty) has passed away during what seems to have been a tragic diving accident. Mark was a long-time moderator and Associate Webmaster at TONMO.com and I know you all share my grief at his loss. An article about the incident is here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38329051

Monty you were much loved by TONMO.com and you will be sorely missed. Thank you for all of your contributions and endless positive vibes you shared for your fellow community members and cephalopods alike.

I wish this wasn't so sudden. May you rest in peace.

[​IMG]

2. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Sad news. Horrible news. May he rest in peace.

You will be missed, Monty.

3. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Rest in peace Monty.

4. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Monty , we will miss you so much.

5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Devastating News.

May he rest in peace

6. tonmo

A few quick things to celebrate Monty - and I don't use "always" lightly - he was a staple in these regards:
    - he was always quick to welcome new members
    - he was very supportive of ceph keepers and was always there to lend support when they passed
    - he offered extremely deep analysis, references and tirelessly researched sources in support of discussions on physiology and biology. His contributions over the years will forever be evident in the threads in our forums.

I'm so appreciative of his contributions to this community; I know we all are. He'll never been forgotten.

7. blue_ringed57

blue_ringed57 Cuttlefish Registered

:( Rest in peace Monty. Glad to have shared the last TONMOCON with you. He made me feel welcomed on the site and in Monterey

8. hallucigenia

hallucigenia O. bimaculoides Supporter

Tony, thank you for posting this; and Kevin, thanks for forwarding the message to Tony.

I heard the news this afternoon on a Caltech community email list and still can't really believe it. But...well, they don't put things in the newspaper what ain't true. At least not this kind of thing. I'm still kind of in shock about it at the moment; my thoughts are pretty scattered, and talking about Mark in the past tense still sounds wrong, so I have little hope of saying anything sensible here. But he's sure got a hell of a lot of friends who will miss him sorely.

9. tonmo

Thanks hallucigenia. It was a shocking, saddening message to receive but I appreciate you alerting us.

10. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Oh, I am so sorry, he was truly an intellectual and he will be missed, I am sorry I didn't make it to the last Tonmocon, he was one of the people I wanted to meet in person. RIP.

11. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

He was always tolerant and diplomatic. A lot of discussions would have gotten a lot more heated if he hadn't mediated.

12. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

No!! What a shock... He was a wonderful member of the tonmo crowd, and I am so sad I will never be able to meet him in person. Such a tragedy. I am kind of speechless... RIP

13. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

I did not really know Mark, but I just came across this thread and wanted to give my condolences to those who did. RIP

14. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Thank you for passing on the news hallucigenia, it was a shock and still hard to believe. Monty took me through the Monterey Bay Aquarium before last years TONMOCON and really made me feel welcome. I will miss his insight into evolution and paleontology.

15. sorseress

Tony, Is there anything that we as a community can do ? I have no idea what, but Monty was too important to all of us not to have some kind of a small memorial. Perhaps those of us who have photos of him could post them online too.

16. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

OMG.... this is a terrible shock and a tragedy. While I never met Monty personally, I was familiar with his posts and I know what a valued contributor, moderator, and webmaster he was to TONMO. He will be in my memory and my prayers. And as Sorseress said, I think some kind of a memorial would certainly be in order.

Sadly,
    Tani

17. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I'm honored I had the opportunity to meet and talk with monty at the last convention. What an amazing man, I will miss him greatly!

18. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I'm shocked and saddened by his untimely death. I met Monty at Tonmocon and spent some time with him. He was intelligent, fun, and was someone you could rely on.

Rest in peace, Monty. We'll miss you.

Nancy

19. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am also one of the lucky ones that got to spend some time with Monty at TONMOCON II in Sarasota. I am still digesting the news and am just kind of empty. He was an experienced diver so he would have had on an inflatable BC and if the tank failed he should have been able to shed his gear to snorkel so I wonder if the problems were physical rather than the equipment. I guess you can't second guess how it should have turned out differently but it is haunting to lose someone this way. I really haven't accepted it mentally.

:monty:

Attached Files:

20. sorseress