Mark Montague (monty)

I did not know Monte, but even as a fairly new member here it was obvious that he was a unique and highly regarded member of this community. My sincere condolonces to his family and friends.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

I remember meeting Monty at Tonmocon (that's my picture of him communing with a cuttlefish on the announcement page!) and liking him at once. He was smart, funny, and fun to be around. He also had the gift of being able to share his extensive knowledge without ever seeming arrogant - a gift that I have noticed is common in the Tonmo community, but very much rarer in the world in general.

Memorial service and stuff

So I just got off the phone with his girlfriend, and she asked me to keep you guys updated on plans for the memorial service. The plans are a long way from certain yet, but I'll post here when I know more. It'll be sometime in August though, most likely.

For what it's worth, she also gave me the story of what happened on the dive (she was his dive buddy) and it really sounds like he had a MI in the water and they didn't manage to revive him. Nothing was wrong with the equipment that anyone could tell, and the coroner didn't find signs of respiratory distress or anything.

Mark Montague (monty)

MI being myocardial infarction (heart attack) (not definite but sounds like). Thanks so much for the follow-up.

Heart attack was my first thought and I noticed Sharon was thinking the same. Equipment problems are not usually lethal from a shore dive or with someone with experience. If my understanding (having lost a friend in his 30's) heart attacks under age 50 are more often fatal than in older people (possibly have to do with the reason for having one at that age) so it is somehow better in my mind that diving did not likely have anything to do with his loss. Odd how it seems important to know what happened even though the outcome can't change.

Thales, I think Monty would have grinned and reddened at that idea and I think we should do it.

Mark Montague (monty)

Excellent idea. Award goes to the person who best exemplifies / embodies the TONMO.com spirit, which in my book Monty was tops (it was a main factor in how he was given the associate webmaster title for a time). Sadly, I envisioned him being my potential successor should it come to that.

angus;159496 said:
I'm very sorry to hear this.

I remember meeting Monty at Tonmocon (that's my picture of him communing with a cuttlefish on the announcement page!) and liking him at once. He was smart, funny, and fun to be around. He also had the gift of being able to share his extensive knowledge without ever seeming arrogant - a gift that I have noticed is common in the Tonmo community, but very much rarer in the world in general.
angus, while we don't get to see Mark full-on in that picture it has always been my a favorite of mine (not just of him, but a favorite picture in general), because it captures an explorative spirit - an interest in connecting with cephalopods and learning more about them, and perhaps an attempt for vice-versa. It's a great photo, and it indeed captures a good deal of Monty's essence.

It is one of mine too for the same reasons and I suggested he use it for the staff forum when it was posted after TONMOCON II. It captures the wonder, interest and Monty's never ending education attribues. He DID use it for his FB avitar.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back