[Octopus]: Mama Cass - O.briareus (tank hatched)

When I told Cassy it was OK to move the rocks from one side of the tank to the other to make a comfortable brood den, I did not mean for her to try to move the major rocks :lol: When we got home tonight we found this:

Attachments

• conv_298051.jpg
    conv_298051.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_298052.jpg
    conv_298052.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_298053.jpg
    conv_298053.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 105
  • conv_298054.jpg
    conv_298054.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
Cassy attached more eggs last night/today and I was able to position the camera to get a few shots in clear focus.

and a short video

Attachments

• conv_298056.jpg
    conv_298056.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 101
  • conv_298055.jpg
    conv_298055.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
:lol: uh, actually, Neal has yet to post but I will direct him to the welcomes. My over prolific photo posting has hit an internal limit and Neal suggested I sign him up for a quick fix. Now that he has an account of his own, maybe he WILL post :biggrin2: rather than just read. He has taken a shine to Diego now that Cass is inactive so maybe he will make some of his own observations. I will post my name when I use his account for picture upload.

The limits are not intentional but an unintentional limit within the software. It was not anticipated by the developers that an individual would exceed 256 pages of pictures :roll:

It looks like the limit has more to do with picture size than numbers so I am back posting under my own name :oops:

We are not sure if she is doing this during the day or late at night (early morning) but Cassy seems determined to move all the LR from the left side of the tank to the right. She has not tried to block my view hole but seems to be trying to shelter either herself or the eggs from the lighting.

Rock from earlier now fully on right side.

More rock coming through

Attachments

• conv_298075.jpg
    conv_298075.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_298076.jpg
    conv_298076.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 104
I noticed a cluster of eggs that were not on the wall and were not being tended.

I watched them off and on for about 10 minuted to be sure Cassy could not get to them with the new rock arrangement and then moved them to a viewable area that receives current from both the Koralia and the return (attached to a SCWD so it alternates with the left side)

Sadly, these 10 eggs are quite transparent and I am afraid they are not fertile but I will leave them here to observe. Hopefully the serpent star won't eat them.

Attachments

• conv_298077.jpg
    conv_298077.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
  • conv_298078.jpg
    conv_298078.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 106
Interesting additional alternate. My tanks always have algae blooms in March. I have always thought it was the change in angle to the sun but now I am wondering if pollen may be a better answer. The abandoned eggs are out in the open so, it will be interesting to see if algae forms on them with only the slight current to help them stay clean.

That's certainly an attractive image of the bunch of eggs. What a beautiful, delicate color! But after several days, as you suggested, one would expect to see something inside.

Since this is a large egg species, brood time is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 months so I am keeping my fingers crossed that atleast some are fertile but from what I can see, they all look pretty clear. I need to go back and read through my post on her hatching to see when I could first see the eggs and how opaque they were at first sighting.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back