[Octopus]: Mama Cass - O.briareus (tank hatched)

Do you think these are fertilized?

It occurs to me that a tripod-mounted, long-delay shot might help if you're not already doing that -- but it will probably need to be pre-focused. Alternatively, an actual old-style camera with film (!) can be used, with low-light (high sensitivity) film.

One other possibility. Security cameras for outdoor use typically have a ring of infrared LEDs. This light is invisible to humans, but readily seen by most digital cameras. For example, look at the front end of one of your remote controls through your camera's display screen while you're operating the buttons -- you'll see the light flashing even if invisible to the naked eye.

By using such IR lights, you might get reasonable pictures -- it doesn't seem likely to me that the octopuses see in this wavelength, but I do not know for certain. The light may not bother Cassie. (Also, infrared is absorbed by water more than air; I don't know what effect this will have on the relatively short distances in the tank. Try your remote on one side aiming at the camera lens on the other side of the tank, and see if the flash is visible at about the same brightness.)

Best wishes!

I will borrow Neal's remote and experiment. I do have a red flashlight that does not bother her but this species is so far sighted that I hate to risk exposing the developing eggs to any kind of light (of course, constant light might improve their vision but not likely). I am not likely to get my tripod to set up where I would need it but will give it a go and set a long exposure (focusing, however, is still a problem as my manual focus is very limited). The tank and angle of the den makes it pretty hard to do anything but hand hold. If the camera is not touching the acrylic, there is a bad reflection that shows on the image and the front of the tank is not flush to the edge of the stand. Gave the 35mm away a LONG time ago and would not want to have to develop film again :biggrin2:

Do you think these are fertilized?
Only time will tell. I don't know if males need to mate several times before their sperm packets develop fully or if first matings are successful. Roy recommended that we mate them twice so we did and the second pairing lasted several hours but I did not see spermataphores in the tank (I may have seen ONE on her webbing though). I also don't know if you can be too late to mate them. I know they can store sperm as long as 4 months (Trapper brooded after 4 months alone in the tank but only produced 6 hatchlings) but I don't know if mating after the eggs are developing (as evidenced by her expanding mantle and why we did not wait the full 10 months as we had planned) has any kind of negative effect. I have seen some reports that say the female passes the eggs through the sperm as they are being laid but have also read that we don't really know the mechanics of fertilization.

It was an exciting and scary adventure, I was thankful that Roy did not post the unfortunate demise of the small A.aculeatus male until after the second mating. I had not planned on a third and his post ensured we would not try.

Cassy is keeping the back wall covered with her webbing and arms so I have not been able to see any eggs yet tonight. Hopefully they are still there and viable and my peeking is not upsetting her.

LOL, actually, this part is like a nice rest. I know I won't be able to tell anything for a couple of weeks yet so as long as Cassy is breathing, I'm good. The hatchings are a lot of work and this time I will not be home during the day so I am more than willing to wait awhile for "the fun to begin" :biggrin2:

In this industry, there is no such thing as permanent, however, I no longer have an official ending date :biggrin2:

Just as I was trying to get a video of her using her arms to stimulate the eggs, the lights cut off :roll:. I don't think I would have gotten anything anyway but it was a bit frustrating. I did see her tending a cluster of eggs and it looked like the empty stalk was no longer empty so she may have been preparing it when I took the photo. I can't be sure but will keep trying to validate but it is a relatively small dark hole with a black wall backing.

D I have seen you post multiple times about Cyclop-eeze and it being unavailable... is this what you are talking about or is it something else?

EDIT: Link no longer valid: [http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Sabrina that is the product. They keep moving the availability date and have for months (you will note you can't back order it and it is supposed to be in today). They are the main place we order it and always order when we still have plenty left because is is often backordered (we have been trying to get some since December 2010). All resources we are aware of are out of stock as is the result of on-line searching. Neal called Drs Foster and Smith to see if anyone knew the problem but the help desk had no knowledge of anything being odd.

When I looked into Liquid Life USA (makers of Cyclop-eeze that foster and smith sells) none of the numbers I could find work. I am starting to wonder if the company closed and that is why they have stopped selling it or sold it to another company.

I did find a company online that has them but its expensive. Like surprisingly really expensive because this is buying in bulk. Heres the link http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/online_store.php I called to make sure they have it in stock and the woman said they did. You would have to have it shipped either UPS over night UPS two day or she is willing to look into Fedex to see if it wouldnt be cheaper.

There is a distributor for argent (maker of the above) http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/product_info/img/10-11/page10_T1.jpg But you have to call to order. They sell it in smaller quantities. This is the undiluted cyclop-eeze.

Is this the knock off brand you were referring to?

I checked the nutritional content of the above and the protein levels are about the same as the one from fosters and smith. I was amazed at how high the levels were compared to the others that claim to have cyclop-eeze in it. The only real difference that I could see is the color enhancer on this is less. Cant imagine that would be a big deal with octopus inklets :biggrin2:

Heres the nutritional list from the above and foster and smith.
Above company chart
page10_T1.jpg

Foster and Smith

Biological Pigments
Astaxanthene
(foundational carotenoid) 3000ppm - 7500 ppm
Canthaxanthene 150 ppm

Omega-3 Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFAs)
20:5w3 Eicosapentanoic Acid min. 13.4%
22:6w3 Docosahexanoic Acid min. 12.8%

Proximate Analysis (based upon dry weight)
Protein min. 60.0%
Carbohydrate min 8.5%
Fat (lipids) min 34.0%
Ash 3.5%

Thanks! Just knowing it is still available is great. I don't know if Neal thought to look at the website or if the minimum quantity nixed the idea. I will call on Monday to see if I can get it in smaller than the 8 count case. It runs a little better than $50 for the large package and lasts a long time so I don't really want to stock $300 worth and worry about the freezer dying but may do that if I can't find it elsewhere in the next week or so and I can't get it in smaller quantity through the website.

If you look at the one link below the REALLY expensive one they sell it one block at a time for like 35$ or so you just have to call and to place the order since they dont have an online option to pay. Thats what I did. I am trying desperately to get my fu manchu lion fish off of live shrimp and when I heard of this I HAD to find it. I am hoping he wont be able to resist it. :biggrin2:

Sabrina, both links were to www.cyclop-eeze.com, the second one was to the graph you posted. $35 will be about $60 but if there is no extra shipping charge for two I will be very happy. If you can find the name or the link to the distributer I would really appreciate it.

More pictures to come but having issues with being able to post photos (it seems that numbers of post are not the only thing I am prolific enough with to be first :biggrin2:)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back