[Octopus]: Mama Cass - O.briareus (tank hatched)

Gosh this has got to be frustrating... Much like waiting to see if an octopus will make it for the first 2 weeks. Still :fingerscrossed: for you.

Oh on another note I ordered the cyclop-eeze and it was shipped today UPS and will be here tomorrow. The cost for everything came out to be 80$ which is better than I expected and was previously quoted.

I will wait until the first of the month to see of DrsFosterAndSmith finally get some in and then follow your lead if they do not. Did you happen to ask if there was additional shipping charge for ordering two?

No detectable changes to the eggs but they are still where I put them and have not been disturbed by the serpent stars (knock on wood). I can't see Cassy very well with her rearrangement of the LR but I can tell she is still tending the eggs on the wall.

I so need to go looking at all the hatchings I can find and see how close to a full moon the event occurs just to see if there is really a significance. If we do have hatchlings, I will at least be able to record the number of days on this one but usually we don't know the exact day and I am not sure that it means anything.

These eggs look smaller to me than the group Cassy hatched from but I don't know if I saw them this early and don't know if they get larger. I am really hoping the ones in the front will be fertile, even if they don't make it to hatching. To be able to photograph the growth would be great but since they were abandoned, I don't know if there is a reason or if they just ended up separated from the rest when she rearranged the rock work. The good news is that they do not seem to be deteriorating but that may take two weeks.

DWhatley;174939 said:
I will wait until the first of the month to see of DrsFosterAndSmith finally get some in and then follow your lead if they do not. Did you happen to ask if there was additional shipping charge for ordering two?

I didnt. The woman I spoke with quoted me 120$ and then only charged 80$ :biggrin2: so who knows what the numbers will actually be. I am really hoping this will take over feedings for my fu manchu. The cost of live shrimp is killing my budget. My husband loves him (the reason I ordered him to began with) and so I wont be able to get rid of him even if he never stops eating shrimp. I am one of Pauls best customers at this point. :lol:

Once or twice a year, I send Paul a link to the critters he is feeding :biggrin2: and he seems to appreciate the thought.

I photographed the front eggs again tonight but won't post pictures until I have a collection where you can see a difference. I am afraid the difference will be to display duds though. It appears that at least one has opened at the bottom but I can't quite tell.

At 13 days I still see no signs of embro development. Many of the eggs are gone and a few are fully transparent.

Cassy appears to be totally blind now. Her pupil does not react to a flashlight and I saw the odd, almost demonic reflection again (but not as clearly or as long as the first time). Interestingly her arm seemed to react when I played the light on it.

Attachments

• conv_298135.jpg
    conv_298135.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 105
  • conv_298136.jpg
    conv_298136.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
  • conv_298137.jpg
    conv_298137.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 124
The 10 abandoned eggs are gone and so is the rock. You can see two that opened at the unattached end in the photos.

Attachments

• conv_298138.jpg
    conv_298138.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_298139.jpg
    conv_298139.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_298140.jpg
    conv_298140.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 111
  • conv_298141.jpg
    conv_298141.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
I hate to ask but how do you tell male from female octpus? All the post I have seen people say ya it a female I but I don't see how they tell!

This sounds bad, sorry for your loss. I had the same issue myself with my 1st and only octopus. I had her 3 weeks, she laid eggs and died a week or 2 later. Eggs didn't hatch. I was hart broke. better luck with the next.

...how do you tell male from female octopus?

The question comes up a lot so I created a posted sticky in Physiology and Biology to help answer the question.

This sounds bad, sorry for your loss.
Cassy was hatched in the tank where she now broods so I have had 10+ months with her. Having had the opportunity to try to mate her was a rare experience and I would be extremely happy to complete a life cycle but she has given me two very rare opportunities and I can ask no more. However, I have not fully given up, since there are still many eggs after two weeks (the time most infertile one should have disintegrated), there is still a bit of hope. However, the eggs are very skinny and smaller than the ones Cassy hatched from so even if some are fertile it is likely to be an uphill battle to have any survivors (it may be wishful thinking but the eggs she keeps covered on the lower left side seem to be fatter than the ones I can see regularly.

Cass took away my viewing window. I guess she left it open for a night in trade for removing the serpent but now she has moved a rock in front of the opening.

Wow - I'm not sure I've got what it takes or am cut out to be an Octo Mom.... reading these threads where the inevitable end is near just breaks my heart.... I don't even want to imagine what it will be like if I can raise and then have to lose these three guys of mine. I know, I know -- it's all part of the package and cycle of life, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

Just know our thoughts are with you on this journey.
Sue

Tonight I saw a dark spot on one of the eggs, it may have been part of the wall showing through a small hole between the eggs in the cluster but I am hopeful it was something more significant. Unfortuantely about the time I was going to try to photograph it, Cassy moved the cluster and it disappeared.

I read through parts of Kooah's journal to see when I first saw eyes on her hatchlings. Unfortunately it is not clear when the eggs were laid. One egg showed a dark spot at somewhere between 12 and 22 days (she cloistered herself 10 days before I actually saw the eggs) but eyes were not a definite for from somewhere between 19 and 29 days. Today marks 14 days for Cassy's eggs and there are still many eggs on the wall that all appear inflated :fingerscrossed:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back