• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kooah's Hatchlings - O.briareus

It is not that there is not food in the tank as much as it is that they stopped coming for food that they were taking easily and consistently. Sam probably has a decent shot if my observations are correct in that he is the largest and he has the 65 all to himself with a strong pod population. I am mostly worried that the peppermint shrimp got them. I was beginning to relax a little with the shrimp but noticed one came to the spot where Sitting Bull was the night before and was feeling in the LR crevices. I have not seen them even attempt an attack (and there were lots of opportunities) but one attacked my feeding pipette and took the shrimp and another took the shrimp from one of the hatchlings. I have seen them carry off injured (claw removed) fiddlers so I don't trust them. I checked the filter sock in the brood tank this AM but did not find any hatchlings. I will continue to hunt every night for the next week but I don't expect to find them.

Tank Statuses - 21 Days - Final Post

Sadly, this looks like the end. No sign of any of the hatchlings in any of the tanks. Because they seem to disappear in groups and because I never saw a direct attack, I am discounting the thought about the peppermint shrimp attacking the ones in the brood tank. Their behavior was consistent with food search and they may have discovered dead ones. The part that is odd is that they appeared healthy and were taking food readily.

I will reread my notes and do a final summary later in the week but need to get out of my blue funk (new icon idea).

Well they may still be in there and just hiding. I wouldn't give up just yet.

No experience here, but did "lose" a dwarf cuttlefish hatchling at 3 days old in a sump / refugium. I couldn't find it despite a good search effort (took everything out...). I saw it and caught it 6 weeks later - doing well but a bit smaller than it's siblings.

Sorry to hear it, but like the rest I'm hoping there's at least one hiding somewhere... I wonder what it is about briareus that makes them so much more fragile than the mercs...

Monty,
THAT question has been vexing me as well. So far the only thing I can think of is in reference to some comments Steve made about squid needing different sized and kinds of food at critical stages.

I'm Taking CaptFish to the Race Track

... and having him place all my bets. And while I am thinking it, how about giving me a lottery number.

I was betting on Sittingbull

Guess who showed up tonight. About the time I was going to give up for the first search round, I spotted one in the back of the brood tank. I had not thawed any food but promptly started preparing a meal. When I returned, SittingBull (and I refer to her as she in spite of the name) was at the front. As I put my hand in the water she wildly started dancing toward the pipette. I lost the shrimp and had to reload, worried she would go away but she repeated the perfomance and snagged the shrimp. I am going to try to feed her a second time in an hour or so but there was no misunderstanding that she was hungry.

During round two, I found LateForDinner. I am not sure if he got any of the offered shrimp and disappeared before I could reload but he was doing his normal in and out of the LR. Both looked larger to me than two days ago :smile:

Oho! I am quite pleased to see the news!
The tank had hid a hungry Sitting Bull
With luck, you'll find the other ones and twos
May all of you have happy lives, and full

Now that two are fed
I'll happily take the wishes
for hatchling not are fishes
and keep me from my bed

:wink:

Sitting Bull is still out on the wall eating so I have not offered seconds.

WOO WHO!
Go Sittingbull go!
rock.gif

Lottery numbers lets see I'm feeling.... :sagrin:

03 10 18 29 36 47

If you win I'll accept my tip in either cash or new fish tanks. :mrgreen:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back