• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kooah's Hatchlings - O.briareus

Pogo is great! I didn't make the connection, though...

and still :fingerscrossed: for your efforts here!

Tank Statuses 17 Days

Individually counted octos at feeding time: 4, 3 took pipette mysis.

Today was the warmest day yet for the house and we are not using the air conditioning (we bought 2 more fans tonight but the breakfast room has had one and an overhead since the beginning of summer and won't get much benefit from the new ones). I turned most of the tank lights off early and will leave them off all day tomorrow. I will put frozen water bottles in the brood tank sumps tomorrow (after I check the filter for octos) if the heat continues to be over 88 but I am worried about doing this in Puddles sump). I am hoping the heat is the reason for not finding the missing octos and that they will appear before I go to bed but it is 2:45 AM now so I don't have a lot of hope that I will see the other 4 tonight.

Breeder Nets
No sightings

Puddles Sump
Pogo: found Pogo sleeping on the backwall early (late) this AM. I startled him and he dashed (no ink) across the tank. I ultimately spotted him a little later between the net and the tank wall on Hepzibah's side. He grabbed the feeding stick when offered a shrimp so I am pretty sure it was Pogo and not Hepzibah that got fed.

Hepzibah: No sighting

Puddles Tank
Sam: found walking around in the LR. I just barely saw an arm under a rock and tried feeding whatever was in that spot. Sam has not been pipette fed before but the mysis proved to be irresistible. Once he had the shrimp he stayed in position (as they all seem to do) and I was able to view him by pointing the red light under the rock overhang (to validate I had not just fed another aptasia :hmm:)

Brood Tank
WallWalker: found up very high on the back wall. I had to chase him around a little (still on the wall) but once an arm touched the mysis, he readily extracted all of it from the pipette

LateToDinner: found and lost sight of him several times as he darted in and out of the rock. Unable to feed him.

SittingBull: no sighting.

Is there other food in each of the tanks so that that the little octopuses who don't get fed by the pipette can find
something?

You excell at detailed reporting

Nancy

Nancy, we feed cyclop-eeze and mysis to the tanks each night with a second dosing while I am making search and hand feed rounds and there are pods established in both primary tanks (tons in Puddles, fewer in the brood tank). I have also released some of the zoo plankton critters from the first care package. The tank that worries me a bit is the sump with Pogo and Hepzibah. The overflow goes directly to a filter sock so there is not a lot of live in that tank, I do feed a Cyclop-eeze mysis (and some oyster egg) mix to the two brood nets that filters out into the sump and I have seen these two hanging on the nets from the outside. From a very poor viewing and a not so great judgement prespective, my first impression seeing Sam last night is that he is the largest of the bunch. I know that the table shrimp would fatten them up but so far I think it is too tough for them as all have rejected it. The mysis and small crabs squish easily. I have seen LateForDinner frantically trying to catch the floating Cyclop-eeze so I feel confident that this is being consumed and was the mainstay for raising the mercs. I need to look for a break in the weather to get Paul to send some shore shrimp. If they won't take them with shell, I can try peeling them. I have just a few tiny Key West shrimp that and I will try one of them tonight to see if anyone has an interest. If I can get the shore shrimp to arrive alive (or close) I can freeze the ones that die but at 90+ I am afraid all would spoil through the mail and just can't afford overnight shipping.

Tank Statuses - Day 18

Individually counted octos at feeding time: 3 (maybe 2), 3 took pipette mysis.

I fed 3 mysis but am not sure if one either lost its meal to one of the other critters or did not get a full helping because they never take more than a whole shirmp. I try to only count the number I can see at one time and only saw one in the brood tank during my feeding rounds

Breeder Nets
No sightings

Puddles Sump
Pogo: Not sure if I am seeing Pogo or Hepzibah, not seeing two. The one I found was doing something interesting though. I found it upside down almost floating (I think an arm may have been slightly attached to the wall). I was afraid it was dead but they don't float when they die. He was trolling for Cyclop-eeze I think. I have not seen this in any of the others but have seen LateToDinner swiping at it from the LR.

Hepzibah: No sighting

Puddles Tank
Sam: No sighting

Brood Tank
WallWalker: May have found and fed him it there are still two in this tank. He did not climb high on the wall as is his normal habit so it may have been Sitting Bull coming for separate helipings

LateToDinner: No sighting.

SittingBull: Found and fed

I found it upside down almost floating (I think an arm may have been slightly attached to the wall). I was afraid it was dead but they don't float when they die. He was trolling for Cyclop-eze I think

That is the behavior I saw from Legs at a young age trying to catch the fishes dry food.

Tank Statuses - 19 Days

Individually counted octos at feeding time: 3, 2took pipette mysis.

Breeder Nets
No sightings

Puddles Sump
Still only one in this tank. I believe the other is gone after not being able to find both for two days.

Pogo: It may be Hepzibah rather than Pogo that survives. It grabbed the Pipette but not quite with Pogo's normal enthusiasum and was on Hepzibah's side of the tank.

Hepzibah: Presumed gone, two missed feedings point strongly to this determination.

Puddles Tank
Sam: Found him but did not have a pipette "loaded" with shrimp. By the time I managed to get a shrimp set up in the feeding stick he had disappeared. I still think he is the largest and is obviously faring well hunting on his own.

Brood Tank
WallWalker: No sighting
LateToDinner: No Sighting

SittingBull: Was on the front wall of the tank (odd for any of them) early. I have kept the lights off on the tanks trying to fight the heat so the early arrival may be related to the lack of normal daytimelighting. I lost the shrimp I was trying to feed (not unusual) and by the time I returned, he was in his normal spot but dashed to the LR when I tried to feed (and lost the shrimp again). This we a continuing battle but I did finally get a food to him. I am worried that the peppermint shrimp are becoming aggressive because he kept diving for the LR. The serpent tried to take his shrimp but he was not concerned. I feed the peppermint shrimp on the other side of the tank before I offer food to the octos but they still don't stay on that side. I have never seen them attack one (and have seen opportunities) but I don't trust them. Unfortunately, I cannot remove them.

Tank Statuses - 20 Days

Today was most depressing. I only found and fed 1 hatchling.

Breeder Nets
No sightings

Puddles Sump
I want to check the filter sock in this tank and clean it but I am afraid to remove it for fear of missing an attached octo. I wondered if this was an over protective concern but did see Hepzibah on the sock at one point tonight.

Pogo: Reversing the one that is gone and the one that is alive. I believe it is Pogo that has not been found for three days.

Hepzibah: I looked in on her early and located her in the back right corner with my red flashlight. I went to thaw food and when I return to the scene, she was swimming upside down like I noted two days ago. This time, however, she was mid tank and moving directing her actions with her mouth exposed to the surface. I fed her about 11:00 and she took a second shrimp around 1:00 AM. I found a reference to this behavior in an article posted by our newsbot:
According to one volunteer, George is among the friendliest animals to inhabit the MaST Center's tanks. He had been trained to come to the surface of his tank and spread out his arms, sucker sides up, whenever the lid was removed, allowing him to retrieve his meals as quickly as possible.

Puddles Tank
Sam: No Sightings

Brood Tank
I keep wondering if the peppermint shrimp got bold enough to attack the ones in the brood tank because the last one was suddenly so timid. Later today I am going to remove the sump sock to see if anyone rode the slip-n-slide but I don't have much hope.

WallWalker: No sighting
LateToDinner: No Sighting
SittingBull: No Sighting

I'm saddened to see that you foundless
And I hope that your worries are groundless
May your eight-legged tots
Peek from their hiding spots
And make for relief that is boundless

LOL, good sentiment but they have been coming to supper for two weeks and the change was instantaneous. I have stayed up through the night and checked 5 or 6 times spending a good 15 minutes playing the light over the tank. The only one I have hopes for (besides Hepzibah) is Sam since has been feeding himself and there is little in the tank that is likely to hurt him since he has made it this far on his own.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back