• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kooah's Hatchlings - O.briareus

I was able to con Kara into collecting and sending me more zoo plankton from a better (for octo food) collecting spot (fortunately she is cheering the little guys on since she caught and named Kooah). This batch contained a bunch of tiny saltwater crabs and a few nicely sized shrimp. Some of the little crabs did not make shipping but had no smell so I froze them and will experiement with feeding tonight (getting them attached to the pipette will be tricky). If they take the SW shrimp (I will start with a couple of frozen), I will get some shore shrimp from Paul but so far they only take the very soft, mysis. There are also a couple of tiny fish but I am not sure if I will try to feed these since they offer less food value.

Nancy, I was surprised at the different, identifiable behaviors as well. Pogo is particularly funny with his commandeering of the feeding stick. If all four regulars were in a single tank, Pogo would be immediately identifiable at feeding time. None of the others show this behavior and there is no mistaking his difference.

cheering.gif

Well, we don't have one like CaptFish came up with but we have party animals, horn blowers etc. Are you not seeing the [more] link or just not a smiley that suits your thought?

Tank Statuses 16 days

Individually counted octos at feeding time: 5, 4 took pipette crabs (one only seen in photo).

I thawed a few of the tiny crabs that did not make shipping and they were accepted with gusto. I am not sure if they got all the goody out as they (except Hepzibah) did not eat as long as they normally do with the mysis. I offered a mysis later but Sitting Bull wanted nothing to do with it. Initially I thought LateToDinner accepted the mysis but location and the photo observation suggest it may have been the unfed hatchling.

Breeder Nets
No sightings

Puddles Sump
Pogo: as of 2:30 I can't find him. I will check yet again though before I go to bed.:sad:
:biggrin2: Better late than never! Pogo showed up about 3:20. He was not overly excited to take the mysis (and did not grab the pipette as he has been doing) but when I found one more thawed little crab and offered it, he was very quick to grab it.

Hepzibah: seems to be trying to make up for almost missing supper last night and was waiting on her normal right side but in front (between the net and the wall). She was the first to try a crab and is in the attached photo. She took the longest time with the crab (and still has it) but also latched onto a piece of mysis when offerred.

Puddles Tank
Sam: No sighting

Brood Tank
WallWalker: did not show tonight to eat BUT he is visible (to my surprise) in the photo so there are still 3 in this tank.

LateToDinner: was furiously trying to catch cyclop-eeze and darting in and out of the LR. He took a crab that was quite large and hauled it around for awhile but I later saw it being blown to the surface. I thought I found him again and he took a piece of mysis but seeing the three in the photo, WallWalker may have been the one to take the shrimp.

SittingBull: was moving toward the back wall when I spotted him but reversed direction to his normal feeding spot when he saw me. He spent a good amount of time with his crab and refused the additional mysis I offered

Attachments

• conv_296544.jpg
    conv_296544.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 121
  • conv_296545.jpg
    conv_296545.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 136
This is the Hepzibah I was thinking she was named for. From Marvel comics. She is a member of starjammers, a group that teams up with X-Men. She first appeared in 1977.
HepzibahXMen.jpg

I now see that there is a Harry potter character with the same name.
250px-Hepzibah_Smith.jpg

The hairdo on the Harry Potter character is certainly appropriate, however, neither are her namesake. I started to give a reference but try for a commonality of the names in that tank or look for the spelling I used. :gigas: Neither of you will remember the source.

The other tank has no commality :biggrin2:

... and Sam was a parody on Richard Nixon as "a reclusive, teapot-shaped spider "

The thought started with trying to come up with something for Pogo's feeding stick behavior and kind of got out of hand :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back