• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kooah's Hatchlings - O.briareus

One if by sand, two if by sight
Count three if disposition is right
The fourth is unknown as two maybe one
Another elusive, my search light does shun
A count will ensue with the set of the sun

The large egg species don't really have a "larval" stage. They are fully formed at hatching, unlike the small egg species that spend a month or two as pelagic plankton.

Agreed -- and it seems that "larval" isn't quite the right word for the relatively modest morphological changes. It's more of a lifestyle thing, it seems to me -- although newly hatched little egg species don't have the weight to pull off their later choice of habitat. Well, the density, at least.

This paper documents one species' changes from planktonic to benthic modes.

What's the time from laying to hatching on yours?

Most of the small egg species that I have read about and seen in photos might be compared to premature hatchlings of the larger animals (layman's thinking). Their arms are very stubby and they only have a couple of suckers on each arm where the large egg species have considerable arm to body ratios and suckers running the length or the arms. I don't know about internal organ differences though or other metamorphasis that may or may not take place. Of the ones we keep in home aquariums, the small egg species hatch in a much shorter time frame (10 days vs 7-10 weeks). The GPO, however, breaks that observation and may incubate eggs for the 3/4 of a year.

Interesting things observed in the tanks today

After I did a heafty cleaning on Puddles tank, Pesky II (our orange brittle star) was on the back wall at feeding time. Just after Neal fed the tank she/he started to spawn. I have never seen a brittle spawn before but it looks just like urchin spawn. Unfortunately, between the cleaning and the feeding the photos don't show enough to post.

After lights out, Neal thought he noticed an octo out and about in the brood tank and called me downstairs to complain that I did not have fresh batteries in the red flashlight (I think I left it on earlier and killed them :oops:). As we were looking at the tank, a peppermint shrimp swam near the front and I put the light on it explaining I was looking for eggs. Bam! Dozens of new hatched shrimp :smile:. At Neal's brilliant suggestion, I siphoned them up and distributed them to several tanks. It is unlikely that any will survive but they will make good food for any that can catch them.

I did find and feed one of the possible two octos in the brood tank shortly afterward. I am guessing it was LateForDinner because it was clambering around in the LR but it was quite ready to eat when the shrimp was offered and came chasing the pipette (usually an action reserved for Sitting Bull). So far I have not found either of the two in Puddles' tank.

Last edited:
I tried trapping one of the two free peppermint shrimp (one trapped himself in a breeder net and I have raised the net so he can't escape). This is the closest I have come to actually catching one but when I tried to put my hand around the net to be sure he did not escape as I moved it away from the wall it snapped and escaped, leaving behind a shed outer shell. I am used to shrimp shedding but this was very strange.

The count keeps varying. I know there are at least 3 alive but only found one in each of 3 environments.

I found the one that trolls for food upside down in Puddles sump. Initially, I claimed it to be Hepzibah but now I think it may be one from one of the nets and neither Pogo nor Hepzibah. It is the smallest of the ones I have seen. It ate twice tonight, once coming partially out of the water to take the second shrimp. I shook some macro algae in the tank and tried to add a few live small shrimp but I worry about it getting enough to eat. I do not want to move it to either of the other tanks though since I am only seeing one per environment. I have a third tank available if it grows larger but none of the hatchlings seem to have survived that tank (Trapper's original brood tank) and I hesitate to change anything at this point.

Mama Cass (the sump sock hatchling) is looking great. As I noted in my weekly summary, she is still not comfortable taking pipette food but did reach out and take the shrimp I left near where I knew she was hiding. No sign of Sam in a couple of days but I he has never shown up regularly. Cassey is so much larger though that I fear she will eat him if she finds him.

LateForDinner continues to be very active, wander all the crevices in the LR and fully knows his way around the right side of the tank.
I have not seen SittingBull for sure for awhile but have not fully given up on the possibility of two remaining in the brood tank. EXCEPT, I found a hatchling on the left side of the tank at about 5:30 AM climbing the wall. Still could not find two at one time though.

I was able to capture one more of the peppermint shrimp with my breeder net trap (it also shed trying to escape - I did not know they could do that but have seen it twice now - but this time it was trapped and has joined the other in a captive enclosure). There is still one at large but I did not see it tonight.

Still a long way to go but at four full weeks I feel pretty confident that there are 5 alive (I found and fed Sam tonight). I am giving good chances to three if I can keep them fed. Paul is sending shore shrimp and pods today so I hope at least some survive the heat (I'll freeze the shrimp if they are dead but not bad). I would like to get them eating the shore shrimp instead of the mysis but I may have to peal them. They are still refusing table shrimp pieces and fiddlers are too large yet but my 5:00 AM feeding got two to at least take table shrimp legs. Hopefully they eat them.

I know but I am a little hesitant to use the flash right now and they disappear with any lighting that would let me photograph without it. I may give it a shot tonight before I feed so they don't associate it with the feeding. I will probably try it on the brood tank the bigger guys are just too skiddish and Hepzibah has only just started to let me find her (still thinking this is Hepzibah II).

I REALLY want to get a picture of Cassy but have only seen arms the last two days. Unfortunately, her size difference probably won't be obvious when I do get a chance. I so wish I had been better prepared when I found her and taken a shot before releasing her to the tank.

Great to hear they are hanging in there. :biggrin2: As much as I'd love to see them in photos, I will be happy to wait till I come down. :sagrin: We are planning to visit my folks in FL and our GA cousins next month. Plans are not yet finalized but would love nothing more than to stop by and say Howdy-Do. That is if you will be avaliable. I will let you know when, as soon as we make our final plans.

On camera flashes, I'd make a recommendation. It is purely speculative and based on the structure of octopus eyes.

Humans (and mammals in general) have a central focus point on our retinas, and bright lights off-center don't bother us as much. For octopuses, this seems to be a focal "band" instead, stretching a considerable distance front to back. The octopus is very careful to keep his eyes horizontally aligned at all times, even if his body is at an odd angle, because he's processing the polarization of light as well as the intensity.

Thus, I would expect that a flash coming from above, or even below, the level of the octopus's eyes will be much less troubling than being on the same level. The steeper the angle, the better, I would guess.

Does anyone have any practical experience with this, and noticing a difference in reaction between the differently angled flash shots?

They are not cooperating tonight. They ate well last night and early this morning and no one seems to be hungry. My attempts between 10:30 PM and 1:00 AM have resulted in zero feeding. I have seen and tried to feed SittingBull 3 times but she wants nothing to do with the pipette and may even have blown away the shrimp (it could have been the current). No one else has shown up yet but I am really not too concerned because they ate so well yesterday. I DID manage to trap the last of the peppermint shrimp and I am hoping their absence will make the ones in the brood tank less timid over time but who knows. I am much more comfortable that they are quarantined though.

Linda, drive-by or overnight, I will plan to be here either way. The only issue would be a daytime drive-by if I have a job and can't schedule an appropriate lunch hour. I would prefer evening so you can meet Neal too (and late night or overnight so you might get a glimpse of the hatchlings) but I look forward to whatever we can arrange.

For our anniversary, Neal brought me home Alaskan King Crab legs (they did not have lobster this year). It occurred to me that these appear to be frozen raw and uncooked or steamed prior to freezing. I PMed Greg (gjbarord) to see if he knew what the processing entailed and he is also of the opinion that they are frozen raw. Unfortunately, this batch all went into the steamer but I am thinking about asking at the seafood counter if they have any loose ones that could be bought at a reduced price to try as something to extend feeding variety (King Crab hatchlings have been a successful food for pelagic hatchlings according to a study in Chile).

Interesting thought on the flash. I worry about harming their developing eyes and have even wondered about it contributing to the blindness we see during sensecence but don't really think there is a relationship. I have used it but sparingly so far but now that the only surviving ones are in the larger tanks and can only be found with the lights off, using the flash is required for any photography.

I hope that your worries are silly
And that each of the brood is a dilly
But King Crab off the reef
Is not nearly like beef
When tucked in, with beans, in the Chile

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back