Hate mail for like-minded conservationists

Some good news

We've been instrumental in stopping one development that had sought resource consent to effectively strip mine a beach of its sediments for land fill!

One battle down, a few more pending.

Sir Steve :biggrin2: , off the back of your postings I have become Cyberactive.
Greenpeace' Cyberactive community now allows even the most restrictive lifestyle the opportunity to help combat greed & ignorance :x even if it's only to play a small role.

so if anyone is even slightly concerned for our planets future go take a look at Greenpeace' site.

Also, over the years I'd formed an impression of NZ being very eco-aware
& a guiding light to other less responsible nations but it appears they are all the same & some gas has been let out of my normally over inflated balloon :frown:

sorry if I've bored anyone or killed an 8 page topic.

Nope, not killed at all. The thread is fast becoming a general conservation-related thread, as opposed to the hate-mail thread it started off being, but here's poor Barry Weeber, NZ Forest & Bird, a very respectable fellow, being slammed in the media also.

We're a happy bunch down here in NZ; everyone gets along; real box of birds stuff!

It follows, with a 60% reduction in catch, that there'll be an equivalent drop in seal catches ... and that's exactly what has been observed; it is not through good management that less seals are being caught!

Barry gets my vote as environmentalist of the year!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2947854a7693,00.html

Our job is to catch fish. We don't like killing the mammals and birds that live in the environment with them, and most fishers today are extremely environmentally aware.

"And please note that we consider 'killing' to exclude starvation or other effects leading indirectly to mortality. We appreciate that mammals and birds represent a minority of species living in the marine environment, and if not catching them in our nets scores us the good PR which allows us to 'harvest' as much of the rest of that precious biomass as we want, then obviously we're all for that."

:arr:

sounds like the the same dimwits who are trying to exterminate all life in the North Sea.
being realistic, apart from well policed conservation areas we can kiss most of it goodbye. The general population appear more concerned with who's shagging who in Hollywood.
The sea bass population in the North Sea has exploded since nursery areas were designated, but no one seems to want to take that extra step to apply the same approach to the North sea as a whole, they just keep faffing around with catch quotas, as fish stocks decline quotas shrink & so forth.
On a happy note the puffin population is booming due to there being little predation by cod on sandeels, but this will be put right by the Norwegians concerted effort to rid our waters of sandeels to make animal feed.

Wind turbines are now out of favour as the nimbys worry & wring their hands about property prices & the effect the noise may have while they're watching Eastenders & Big Brother.

spartacus said:
sounds like the the same dimwits who are trying to exterminate all life in the North Sea.
:shock: I thought that was done already...hence me buggering off to the other side of the globe... Somebody lied to me? :x
Wind turbines are now out of favour
and that's a crying shame... (says the guy who used to live about ten miles from a nuclear plant...yeah...that does explain a few things)
as the nimbys worry & wring their hands about property prices & the effect the noise may have while they're watching Eastenders & Big Brother.
*sigh*
amen to that bruvvah!

TPOTH

After reading some of the posts I'm given to have a rant...

As a surfer I have spent a great deal of time out at Piha (Auckland west coast). I have lost count of times I have yelled at people taking bags of marine life from the intertidal. They walk around the rocks to where they can't be seen from the shore and strip mine everthing that can be removed. I can see this as I'm out in the water. It's sickening to witness. :frown:

I mean, I could be missing something here, but what exactly do you do with a rubbish sack full of starfish???? Asteroid soup???

All that seems to happen when I yell at them is they look sheepish and then stuff everything into a backpack and scuttle off. I'm going to go into ethnicity but, they also don't appear to be able to speak English. This, of course could just be a temporary lapse. Usually the've gone before I can get back in to confront them too (Piha has really strong rips so it can be difficult to get back in in a hurry).

Piha's pretty dangerous so all I can hope is that they get washed off the rocks and drown. I don't really mean that.....

I'd like to yell at them first.

Incidently, does any one know of a comparable forum for deep-sea fish?

As I'm just starting my PhD on Orange Roughy (Diet, food web interactions) I was thinking of starting an Orange Roughy thread here (if no one minds - given they're 'vertebrate filth' - No, I won't say who called them that). I think there is enough common ground for it to be worthwhile regardless of my obvious bias.

I'm sure you'll all let me know what you think
:P

TPOT, my apologies for neglecting your post :oops:
I can confidently report that yesterday 27 June 2004 I did present my lad with a live sandhopper for inspection, so there's life in the brown main yet (we hope)

As for nuclear energy, I perch on a fence.
It improved the fishing at Sizewell & all were delicious, just ask Maximus
my spare head
download.php

Way to go Steve! Looks like a great video, but it's real choppy (keeps buffering)... will try again from my other PC tomorrow, maybe will have better luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back