Hate mail for like-minded conservationists

Just a quicky for the local audience (as in fellow kiwis). There should, I stress should, be a piece on the 'Holmes show' next week (19-23 April; date TBD) on conservation matters, squid research (and you'll get to see some footage of the broad squid), and a few other things. It's been bumped one time already (as in the 14th, not because someone stubbed a toe in downtown Auckland, but apparently one doctor stabbed another); the latest date includes a live broadcast from Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World and Antarctic Encounter.

Sorry 'bout the link (remember, I'm a Luddite). Not everyone agrees with what is said therein, but I'm used to that. I think we'll have the proof soon enough. I'm happy with most things therein, but I never said anything to the effect whale numbers will not increase because there's not enough food.

Watch this space! (and those are not horns growing from my brow, although some might think so; it's an unfortunate artifact of bottom flash lighting)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...hesubsection=&storyID=3563375&reportID=162576

looks to me like the guy in graphics dept is the brother of a trawler and superimposed the horns!!!

Is the 'groper' a fish or was it supposed to be grouper?

As long as you're happy with the rest of it then its a good article, they always have to screw up one or two bits, its in their contracts i think

Thanks M. Hey, inside info, names online even. Another Architeuthis was caught several weeks ago, Sealord vessel, destined for us .... until Sealords said 'nope, nuttin going to that so-and-so in Auckland that criticises everything we do'. So, frozen squid remains in a freezer down in Dunedin, where it can remain until somewhere freezes over. MFish observers even saved it, earmarked for us.

They think it hurts me. It's 200 hours I don't have to spend pickling one down! :party:

seriously folks

:x WARNING! Pardon the Rant! You have been warned! :x

There is and should be a legitimate concern over the depletion of all vertebrate and invertebrate aquaculture world wide. As well as the long and short term causality. Anyone who does not think that both the natural occurring shifts in temperature, salinity, and chemical composition of the oceans (in many cases which are a result of industrialization) as well as the man made effects of pollution and overfishing, must have their head stuck in the sand.

In the late 90's when Architeuthis specimens began to make their appearance more often in deep trawlers nets it became rather obvious that things had become even worse. When the food supply for cetaceans is diminished it will not be long before the impact reverberates throughout the food chain. The cause and effect ripples in both directions. If you do a quick search on the Internet you will notice that Illex are and have been massively overfished.

This too is the case with the Chambered Nautilus. In the Philippines, for example, there are places where these wonderful creatures that once were plentiful are now nonexistent. The over-fishing for both food and the shell have obliterated the population in too many places in the Indo-Pacific region. If you look in E-Bay you will notice that there are too many of these shells available and at least a third of them are juvenile specimens.

Sad to sad to consider the consequences... if such activities go unchecked. Thank you Steve and all of you for standing up and saying what needs to be said.

CjB

FYI: Squid Fishing, Squid Jigs and Squid Jigging Centre - Squidfish.net an interesting site/forum if you have not viewed it already

Unfortunately, I wouldn't look for any changes in the human condition...we have effectively removed ourselves (or so we think) from the collective world around us, taking what we need when we need it...this attitude is glorified in the press and media (watch Swan, for instance) and touted as being the "way" to act.
Sometimes, you just wish that everyone would take a deep breath, calm down for a minute, and watch some little fish swim in a creek.
We move too fast. Maybe why everything seems to being going to hell in a handbasket...
We want everything, and we want it NOW ! I feel sorry for all of the other creatures (including calm people) that are being red-flagged at the moment.
Overwhelming.
greg

was teaching some kids last week about raptors and i showed them a pic of a golden eagle and asked them to tell me what it was... one of the kids dads said it was a....................................... ferret, and he meant it... what chance have the kids got if thats a dad shouting out an answer

Colin, we get that kind of thing all the time. I'm always being asked if fish are animals...or "why do you call these fish animals?" the next top question we get is................"can you eat it?" followed by " would that make good bait?"

We have touch pools which are generally not left unattended by the staff. But one day I had to deal with a kid who had banged his head on a tank window (don't ask!) when I turned round one of the Dad's had stuck his comb into an Anemone :x He wanted to see it close up but didn't want to touch it :x :x and anyway "it's only a sea thing isn't it?" :x :x :x :x :x :x :x Poor thing was dying of a ruptured gut so we had to euthanise it :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

J

jean,

reminds me of a sign a local safari park had on a fence...

'dont chase the animals or birds'
what kingdom do birds belong to then??? :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back