Hate mail for like-minded conservationists

um... said:
But it's 1000m under the ocean. What harm is it doing if it's not absolutely wrecking it. Who's going to see? It's not hurting anything long-term.

So if I murder somebody it isn't a crime, just as long as nobody sees me do it and I make sure to dump the body in water that's at least 1000m deep? Cool.

Pretty much, it is a challenge to argue against that level of ignorance.

...less than 5 per cent of the world's 75 per cent of ocean would be impacted.

The slope region where the roughy fishing occurs makes up 8.8% of the worlds ocean (Merrett & Haedrich, 1997). By that estimate we've impacted more than half of the available habitat. This is certainly true for New Zealand waters with 80% (probably more now) of seamounts in the New Zealand region being trawled (Clark, 1999 or 2000 can't remember which off the top of my head). Catch levels were maintained thoughout the 1990's by 'discovering' new seamounts to fish, depleting them and moving on. Currently most catches around NZ are an order of magintude or less, than historical maxima.

Around NZ the only area left is the Kermadec Rise as there is a marine reserve there, however the reserve only extends 12 miles out from the islands so I guess it's only a matter of time. From memory the TAC for orange roughy in ORH 10 (Kermadecs) is 10 tonne. Eventually someone is going to consider it worthwhile to go and see what they can get there, if they haven't already.

"It would be a bit like going into the McKenzie Country and looking around at this wonderful untouched, unspoiled area and then seeing somebody had dug a vegetable garden and it was growing brussel sprouts."

What! No sense make brain ow! Maybe we were to be so confounded by the superficial flaws that we would miss the fundamental flaws...

A better analogy for roughy fishing would be trawling for rugby fans from space using category 5 tornados. Getting rugby fans but also associated by-catch; cars, cows, sheep, dogs, trees, houses etc... Then finding that you get heaps more, and mostly rugby fans, if you send the tornados to All Black matches. Maybe you could 'fishdown' the rubgy fan biomass to a sustainable level and keep going forever... Mind, if they run out you could switch to Cricket fans, or Soccer fans, Tennis fans and so on...

You know, i'm sure you have got something interesting to say but your just not getting it across...

I am sure that there are some people from the fishing industry that do try to be environmentally friendly but very far from all, I would think.

As a biologocal recorder there is a HUGE difference between recording what you have just caught/killed when comapred to what you have just recorded and left untouched to live its life...

As Scotland is also a country which has heavy reliances on its fishing fleet, the vast majority of people both in the trade and out can easily see that fishing just isn't able to be sustainable.

Tell me, what actually is your relationship with the trade? I'm hoping for a fair balanced discussion, especially if it involves the share of data and findings.

Are you pro-fishing or anti-scientist???????????????????????

Once again we see the elusive teenager with a parent's computer gone wild...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain !
I would like to start a fund to buy him/her a dictionary though...in the hopes that maybe, maybe, it might learn to spell and punctuate..."if a thousand monkeys typed, for a thousand years..."

hahanet.jpg

Remember the one that Steve accused of typing on his cell phone??? Priceless !
Yeah, the best thing is to burn and ignore vermin...
So, a hearty "AA'yyreee Cap'n" from me, too !

greg

Sir Erich ! I had no idea you had taken that electoral class :"how to techspeakgeek" !!! Hey, that is doubleplusgood !!
g

DO_U_EAT_FISH said:
I am absoultely appaled and disgusted ,kids this guy is a crim and a sick man,

When you do grow up enough, please try to remember that English is a thing called a "language", and has certain set parameters...arguing your ignorance is just spitting into the breeze.
:smile: greg

DUEF, perhaps you would do better to remove 70-80% of the letters from everything you type. As annoying as that would normally be, I think that in your case the simplification would help. Or, at the worst, it would make your posts shorter while no less lucid. Better yet, why don't you just try using sign language?

dictionary.com
Merriam-Webster Online

Do_U-Eat_Fish, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands, and what sounds like a lot of disposable income.

Here's a proposition.

Swim, sail, fly, drive, bus, train, cycle, run, walk or slime to Auckland.
Come and see me.

IF what I have to say to you is rubbish then prove me wrong ... prove all of us wrong. Enrol in:

1) A research programme, or degree.
2) An English programme (I am not being nasty here, but if you took pride in what you had to say, and if you want people to take you seriously, then you have to be able to deliver your message in a coherent manner).

If I decided to play devils advocate I could support everything you are trying to say, except I could do so in a way that made sense. Come hear me out; you might learn something.

Nice turritelid fossil by the way (your pic in the gallery). Many of us collect fossils. Extinction is a sad thing. There's a lot happening these days.

Finally, Stop poisoning this site with your bitterness.
I am tolerating you out of courtesy, the same courtesy that we extend to everyone, whether we agree with what they have to say or not, but you are really stretching my patience, and my finger hovers over the delete, disintegrate and destruct button.

Do_U-Eat_Fish says :welcome:

Steve O'Shea just about to say :goodbye:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back