Finding Nemo

AAAARGH, mean, mean, mean!!! :evil:

Of course it's only fair that some marine stuff should happen in the Northern Hemisphere first, I suppose... :P

Uh... SOME?!?!? :shock:

Maybe its too cold for you out in my neck of the woods, but there are discoveries yet to be made in the cold, dark depths! :heee:

What?! Not going to let a little hypothermia risk stop you from diving out here, are you?

Suhsi and Sake (to warm you up after a cold northwest dive)

John

TaningiaDanae said:
I was watching some of CROC HUNTER LIVE last week... One of the best surprises was when Dame Edna Everage showed up as a special ....
Tani
ON behalf of all Australian, I apologise for the Crocodile Hunter and we can only hope that he is one day eaten by one of the poor creatures he has been poking.

We are not all like that - some of us can even manage to speak a form of English understood by those overseas.

Do I suffer from cultural cringe? You bet.

KRin

krin said:
ON behalf of all Australian, I apologise for the Crocodile Hunter and we can only hope that he is one day eaten by one of the poor creatures he has been poking

KRin,

There's no need to apologize for Mr. Irwin. Just the other night he supplied a well-needed laugh, as he was bitten repeatedly by a snake. Few things cheer me more than the sight of an annoying human being bitten repeatedly.

I wonder if elements of the Australian press and public will take umbrage at "Finding Nemo." Locating the plot's heart of darkness in Sydney(!) was an unusually specific choice. When the film opens down there, please let us know if it raises any hackles. If the Australian government retaliates by re-naming American cheese "Freedom cheese," let us know about that, too.

:wink:

Clem

i think the only reason to watch him is hoping he gets bit....maybe im a being a tad morbid, but at least i admit i look at crashes along the road, at least when im not behind schedule...

Heh! Freedom cheese...good one...

I think they chose Sidney just because they wanted a nice fancy reef and a familair-to-their-main-audience location. Either that, or they just wanted to work in the opera house... :wink:

rusty

Fujisawas Sake said:
Oh, oops...

HI THERE TANI!!! :lol:

Sushi and Sake,

John

HIYA JOHN!

Don't worry, I didn't think you'd forgotten about me. Anyway, I was just posting intentionally annoying stuff to the Haiku thread and hoping that Steve-O' doesn't see it till tomorrow when I can come up with some good retorts....

:wink:

krin said:
ON behalf of all Australian, I apologise for the Crocodile Hunter and we can only hope that he is one day eaten by one of the poor creatures he has been poking.

We are not all like that - some of us can even manage to speak a form of English understood by those overseas.

Do I suffer from cultural cringe? You bet.

KRin

Hey KRin, don't make assumptions about us Yanks -- some of us think he's kinda cute (Croc Hunter, not Dame Edna :lol: ) He's interesting, knowledgable in his field, funny, dynamic, a great dad, sincerely caring about animals (the "poking" thing aside), has a radiant smile and many other appealing features which may be best left for the Members-Only "Hotties" thread when we finally create it. :wink:

Besides, if you think Steve Irwin's English is fractured, you oughta come to the NY/NJ metropolitan area sometime -- where a significant percentage of the population actually talks like Tony Soprano. (At least Croc Hunter doesn't punctuate every fifth word with some grammatical variation of "f***"!)

Stayin' Alive in Saturday Night Fever Town,
Tani

I'm with you Tani, I like Mr Irwin, he has a certain chunky charm, though that movie he made was fairly terrible and I would like to see him wear a colour other than beige!

Shouldn't be embarassed by him, though I understand cultural cringeing, being a solitary Brit in the USA, keep fielding questions about the Royal Family?! :!: :confused:

Moog

That is EXACTLY what we need! A New Jersey version of the Croc hunter..."ah, look at that little f'ing beauty! F'ing A, she is f'ing gorgeous!" in a word...Yikes! :shock:
Don't worry Moog...most of us don't really dwell too much on the royal family since Diana passed away and the option for a Playboy shoot dissolved ( I have no desire to see Fergie naked)...I am sure you have to suffer a lot of questions...I get the same thing when I travel, especially during the Clinton administration...like him and I were buddies, or he called me on the phone while smoking a wet cigar! Yikes again!
:lol: Greg

The Moog said:
I'm with you Tani, I like Mr Irwin, he has a certain chunky charm, though that movie he made was fairly terrible and I would like to see him wear a colour other than beige!

Shouldn't be embarassed by him, though I understand cultural cringeing, being a solitary Brit in the USA, keep fielding questions about the Royal Family?! :!: :confused:

Moog

Ah yes, I actually rented CROC HUNTER: COLLISION COURSE too. "Terrible" is a charitable description -- more like a complete embarrassment! The thing didn't even qualify as a movie; it appeared to be bits of their old TV shows glued together with random newly-filmed scenes that were apparently written by five-year-olds (wallabies, not children). It was almost awful enough to qualify as a Golden Turkey.... though of course Steve Irwin's presence did offer some redeeming aesthetic value. (It could've been worse -- can you imagine 90 minutes of MARK O'SHEA: COLLISION COURSE?)

Come to think of it, the only time I ever saw Croc Hunter in something other than the UPS Delivery Man outfit, was when he and Terri were visiting her home state of Oregon. As I recall, it was so cold and rainy there that he actually wore jeans and a winter jacket. Outside of that, he's worn the famous khaki shorts-and-shirt just about everywhere else -- including surfing, diving, and even attending a gala formal event here in Noo Yawk (while Terri looked elegant in a long designer gown, an Audrey Hepburn hairstyle, and a startling -- for her -- amount of makeup).

Hmmm.... I can just picture Irwin's closet back home, filled with two dozen identical khaki swagman outfits -- much like "Adrian Monk's" wardrobe of compulsively neat identical suits. (Tony Shalhoub fan alert! :heart: )

The thing about people assuming a person of a particular nationality knows everything about (and everyone in) his/her country has always amused me. It reminds me of a scene toward the end of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, when everyone is leaving the shtetl to emigrate to safer lands. As I recall, Lazar the butcher asks Tevye where he and his family are going, and Tevye replies, "New York City, America. And you, Lazar?" "Chicago, America. We'll be neighbors!" :biggrin2: I haven't been outside of the US (except for Canada) since I traveled to Europe with my parents in 1959. But I can just imagine someone asking me about, say, American football or basketball -- "Don't all Americans know that stuff?" -- I'd just have to shrug and refer them to my son.

Gotta go now -- our pre-ordered copy of HP & ORDER OF THE PHOENIX just came by special delivery and I've got to get my hands on it before the Big Calamari tries to read it before I do!

"Sea" ya all in a bit. (And Moog, I invite you -- and whoever else is interested -- to become a TONMO Supporting Member. Not only is it a worthwhile investment, but then you can join the new Members-Only "Hotties" thread! :wink: )

The Tanster

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back