• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eggs

She's just a little egg factory. You must be very happy :smile: .
How many cuttles do you have now?
I remember a while back that Thales (he was Righty then?) had started a breeding program with the Jim, the owner of Octopets, then the hurricane.
It was sad when Octopets closed down. I got my first cuttle from them and their customer service was excellent.
Do you know of anyone else that is trying to breed cuttle for general sale? Sounds like you are doing pretty good.

elaflam;87478 said:
I remember a while back that Thales (he was Righty then?) had started a breeding program with the Jim, the owner of Octopets, then the hurricane.

That was me, but Octopets didn't close because of a hurricane. I don't really know what happened, but they owe me a bunch of money and no one would ever return my calls.

Sorry about that. didn't mean to open old wounds. The last time I had inquired about his stock he made it sound like that was why he closed down.
I know you have Daisy Hill Cuttle Farm, but is it like it sounds? Are you commerically selling cuttles and eggs yet? I love the INK logo BTW. I got the clock a while back......

I caught Baby A and Scrunchy cuddling this morning, so I knew more were on the way. I can see at least 5, I think, I will do a count later today. She is up to 230 total... I guess it's my late valentine from Baby A...:tentacle: I haven't removed the last two, and Scrunchy spends all day guarding the cave with the eggs. Sure hope they are his :bonk: .

Cuttlegirl,

Actually, I had meant that to satisfy the angel request for cuttles and called it cuttle life cycle. I guess I failed my mission but am glad you liked it well enough to use it.

We finally took the grandchildren to our new aquarium today and the oldest (8) decided that the cuttlefish were one of her favorites. She knows that we are hoping to have babies in a couple of weeks and was delighted to get a look at them in something other than a book (now I have to find a kids book on cuttlefish :roll: ). Neal (spouse) decided they were going to be a lot of fun to keep as well once he saw them live. These were larger than ours will be but not full grown so they gave a nice idea of what to expect.

If more than one survives AND none of the octos do (we don't know if Trapper's eggs are viable and we are suspect that she may be joubini and not mercatoris) we will give them the octo tank and not get another octopus until they complete their life cycle (at which time we hope to afford yet another chiller). If we should be able to actually close the cycle with the cuttlefish, I see a chiller AND a new tank in the future because I still want to keep a bimac on an on going basis but not give up the cuttles :bugout:

I see lots of dollars in your future...going bye-bye. (Now there's a smiley image every ceph keeper could use!) It would be very cool to have a cuttle tank and an octopus tank at the same time.

Sorseress,
I sort of have that now. That is I have cuttle eggs that may or may not be viable and an end of life female octo that may be of the small egg variety and may or may not be incubating viable eggs. It will be either feast of famine around here in a couple of weeks. It is probably a good thing my male seahorse did not go to term and the other missed the egg catch. With my luck, all will hatch, the horses will get pregnant and I will finally find a job all at the same time :cyclops: .

I submitted a money pit smiley at your suggestion but requested that Tony wait until next go round to publish it since I have kept him busy with my new toy offerings :hmm:

Sorseress,
Worst case, everything fails. The old adage, "the more you have to do, the more you get done" tends to be a trueism for me so I look forward to the challenge. Best case is probably somewhere in the middle so I can ENJOY the outcome and a JOB would help support the hobby!!!

i might be interested in the next batch. im still waiting on my new tank to get back from getting drilled. once it does ive got to just switch my reef tank to the new tank, pull 30 gallons out the old reef tank for the new tank water, then add the 15 extra new salt to it, then pull 35 gallons off the octopus tank and put it in the old reef tank for the cuttles and add 30 gallons new salt to it, then add 35 gallons to the octopus tank as a water change. after all that ill be ready for the cuttles, precycled tank rocks everything even a fresh water change for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back