cuttlefish eggs

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
After moving my 55 gallon (looooooooooong story)... I discovered that my girl cuttle has laid eggs. They are inflated, so they may actually be viable. Here are my questions... Don't they seem a little young to be having babies (they are about 4-5 months old). Should I remove them from the rockwork in the tank and place them in a net breeder? And lastly, how long until they hatch? When do I need to start buying more mysids :bonk: .

I am kind of sad because it means I don't have too much longer with Scrunchy, Cuddly and Baby A.

marinebio_guy

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
cuttlegirl;79892 said:
After moving my 55 gallon (looooooooooong story)... I discovered that my girl cuttle has laid eggs. They are inflated, so they may actually be viable. Here are my questions... Don't they seem a little young to be having babies (they are about 4-5 months old). Should I remove them from the rockwork in the tank and place them in a net breeder? And lastly, how long until they hatch? When do I need to start buying more mysids :bonk: .

I am kind of sad because it means I don't have too much longer with Scrunchy, Cuddly and Baby A.
Its not to young for her. I personally would remove the eggs and place in a net breeder just make sure they get good water flow. Eggs on average hatch in 3 weeks but it could take longer or less depending on water temp.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a picture of the eggs, the tank is still a little cloudy from the move... Also, I caught Baby A cheating with Scrunchy... oh well, I guess if you are a cuttlefish, any boy will do (at least in Baby A's case, she only has two choices...).

Baby A is on the left, Scrunchy on the right. The mating lasted about 10 seconds, I saw Scrunchy withdrawing his hectocotylus :oops: .

There are about eight eggs in this clutch, they look pretty good, inflated and round.

Attachments

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
GREAT!

I wouldn't move them till they blow up a bunch more.
There is disucssion that they do better in the dark.

This is the hard part - hoping they will be viable!

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Good news and bad news I guess. You obviously created a great environment for them, because they've been doing what cuttles are supposed to do. :sly: :cuttle: :baby:

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I guess this means I won't have to put mine out to stud!

Congratulations, and I really hope your babies live longer than you fear.

Dan

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
The big kids are still eating well (a little too well... I think I spend more on food for them than I do my own human kids...). I counted about 13 eggs, more than I want to raise, but all of them may not survive.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw maternal care by Baby A - she went over to the eggs and blew water on them... :biggrin2: what a good mom! I am going to watch the eggs closely, but leave them where they are, they get a good flow over them and I figure Baby A knows what she is doing...

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Baby A laid another batch of eggs. Probably about 8-15 in that set too... The first set are looking more round and even a little translucent.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Baby A laid another batch of eggs :shock: . I had resigned myself to a cuttle-less tank for awhile since my babies didn't make it. I had shipped out all the rest of the eggs. I am not sure what I am going to do with this batch of eggs. From what I can see, there are about 8 eggs in this batch. That makes about 50 eggs from Baby A...

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,

I just moved the eggs to the tank breeder and I underestimated the number of eggs. There are about 20 in this batch, so she is up to 62 eggs laid so far. Anyone want some eggs??? :bugout: Don't think I am going to keep all 20...

dutchcourage

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Cuttlegirl after talking it over with my wife.We would like a go at it:biggrin2: check your pm when you get a chance

Thanks Dutch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ezersky

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak