• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eggs

Hmm... always make sure your mailbox is not full! And don't forget to download your old PMs before clearing out your mailbox... there are functions available on the PM page for downloading...

I think Baby A is getting kick-backs from FedEx... I sent the last of the eggs off and come home to find - more eggs - 4 more, grand total 211. Oh, and I think I may have discovered the secret to my cuttles longetivity - my thermometer was not working for the past 5 months and I just checked the temperature - they have been living in 73 F water instead of 78 F. Oops :oops: , I guess in this case, what I didn't know, didn't hurt them...

Cuttlegirl,

I would like to lay claim to the latest 4 if you haven't already had takers.

Would you also post your salt content (I am assuming 1.026 but want to verify), lighting (timing in particular - 12 on 12 off?), water volume (I think you mentioned 55 gal originally but do you also have a sump/fuge), a rough (substrate and rock) idea of your tank setup and the same for their original hatching. Also, what kind of clean up crew you have found compatible.

I was delighted to know that they have been living at 73 as we have been debating on the little chiller (more of a water cooler) for the tank and 73 is a good number ;>).

Please let me know if these 4 are ready for another FedEx trip.

cuttlegirl;86747 said:
Oh, and I think I may have discovered the secret to my cuttles longetivity - my thermometer was not working for the past 5 months and I just checked the temperature - they have been living in 73 F water instead of 78 F. Oops :oops: , I guess in this case, what I didn't know, didn't hurt them...

This makes me feel much better!

cuttlegirl;86747 said:
Oh, and I think I may have discovered the secret to my cuttles longetivity - my thermometer was not working for the past 5 months and I just checked the temperature - they have been living in 73 F water instead of 78 F. Oops :oops: , I guess in this case, what I didn't know, didn't hurt them...

Bill is the exact same age isn't he? He is still doing well and eating like a pig. His water temp is a constant 78 degrees.

Cuttlegirl -what do you feed them? I have used freshwater glass shrimp exclusively and he loves it and it's easy. Did you get yours from Aquatropics too?

Illithid;86766 said:
Bill is the exact same age isn't he? He is still doing well and eating like a pig. His water temp is a constant 78 degrees.

Cuttlegirl -what do you feed them? I have used freshwater glass shrimp exclusively and he loves it and it's easy. Did you get yours from Aquatropics too?

My cuttles came from Thales - a bunch of wild caught eggs he had in May 2006. I feed mine saltwater shore shrimp from aquaculturestore.com. I tried fiddler crabs one time just for fun - but they seem happy eating the shrimp...

Guess who laid more eggs??? Will do a count soon - they aren't looking as good as the other bunches - someone from the NRCC told me that fertility declines with age. I have about 5 that look good and inflated and the others are odd shapes - she must be getting tired!

I talked with Chrystal at the NRCC today - she says they have 7 baby cuttles from your eggs, which they're taking very good care of.

They hope this will be their bandensis breeding stock for the future.

Nancy

Guess who is laying more eggs? Although she is not even attaching this set to the rocks, she is tired... I would be too - I caught her cuddling with Cuddly this morning, so I knew there were more eggs on the way - I don't think these eggs will make it, but who knows?

Just went and picked them off of the bottom - 5 more, up to 220 eggs.

Two more eggs today - 225... these look viable, the last three looked a little strange and she didn't attach them to a rock, so they are floating around in the tank somewhere (didn't feel like pulling all the live rock to find them, so if they are viable, maybe they will just hatch in the tank).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back