• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

What are the symptoms of copper in the water? What if there was an extremely small dose, such as not enough to kill the cuttles immediately, but enough to cause strange symptoms?
I have also noticed that hatchling 2 swims and goes crazy with its butt up, tentacles down. It is also pretty wreckless, almost as if it was blind. It runs into everything: the netting, other eggs, the chaeto, literally everything.

lilalancarey;190872 said:
No hatchlings yet i am out of town for a few days
That very ironic! I am also out of town for three days as of sunday. I should be back in Daytona by Wednesday. I had to train my brother how to make sure that mysid shrimp are in the net breeder, and how to remove ink.

One cuttle has already inked. It was just a small ball, nothing major.

When they ink its so cute lol can just take a dropper and it sucks it all up.

My mother called and said i had 3 hatchlings about 830 tonight and am ready to go home tomorrow afternoon to check them out, i ordered the live mysids tonight so they should be here by Thursday which is fine since they dont eat for the first few days anyway. If there is a problem i will have to take a trip about an hour away to get some mysids for a ridiculous price that i cant remember.

Hope they are alive and well when i get home tomorrow!

Awesome! Hopefully you will have better luck than I am having!
Based off reports from my brother, I dont believe any of my cuttles have eaten yet, and today marks day 4. Where do you live? Maybe there might be an aquaculture facility close to you where you can buy mysid for much cheaper, and without shipping charges. I did a google search and found four here in Florida. It would save you a ton of money.

Im in new york, and shipping from Paul sachs costs 10$ so a lot of 100 costs 30$ so its about 30$ a week for 4 weeks, im not disappointed by this at all.

I came come this afternoon to find 5 hatchlings, will post pictures once i transfer four of them to a breeder net.

I guess i will do this by scooping them up in a sauce cup that i get when i buy live brine from petland (usually what i thaw my frozen food in and feed to my fish so its safe) and then submerge them into the breeder net. I will separate them so i can find out whos eating and how much more carefully and will keep a log of how much i feed and when.

Very happy some of the stress has lifted.

Brine is simply not a good idea for cuttles. We have seen this so often that it is worth repeating. They do eat it and they do not survive. It is so common that it has me wondering if the result is more than simple starvation (the current theory because of the lack of proper fatty elements).

Keeping the mysis alive is the difficult part. You may feed them the brine shrimp though. Overfeeding and as much room as you can give them has seen the best (but not great) results.

I put my 150 mysid from Sachs in a small 2 gallon cube with a ton of brine shrimp. So far they have lasted me four days and counting, with proably about 100 left.

I was assuming that the brine shrimp were for the mysid, but DWhatley is right. You should never feed cuttles brine. Cuttlegirl even pointed out once in a different thread that it would be better for the cuttles to go without food for a day, than to feed them brine while you wait for more mysid.

Im putting my 100 in a 40g breeder that ive had lying around for a while that i cracked where my overflow was suposed to go so its just been sitting in my side yard, i cleaned it out and filling with water tomorrow. Im going to make a DIY baby mysid separater as well with pvc pipe and different seive sizes.

Idk if i ever said i was going to feed them bbs but in my first post i was just making it aware that i have a factory going in my house with all different foods for all different fish and i... idk i was just saying nonsense now that i think about it, it was pointless lol. I will be feeding the cuttles nothing but mysid shrimp and that will be hopefully thursday definitely friday.

I have 3 alive and 2 dead atm. My temperature spiked to 83-84 today from the 79 i had it on sunday because no one was home and my mother didnt put my ceiling fan on high before she left for the beach today, i immediately turned my MH off put my fan on and put the ac to 74 like it usually is. It is back down to normal again and the 3 have been very docile and moving around here and there, changing colors randomly. I cleaned there in tank home just now a little with small airline tubing since its collecting a little algae in there with not that much water movement. I bought a breeder net today but its for liek guppies and i dont like it so ill be returning it tomorrow and getting an actual breeder net to move them to. Ill take your advice and wait a week to move 3-4 of them to the net. I expect to have most of them hatched by this weekend and ordering more food again by monday for the end of next week lol >< here we go!

How are your cuttles deepblue?

Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you haha. Keep us updated on the mysid seperator, I'm pretty interested in how you plan to do that.
Sorry about your two dead cuttles, but at least you have three that appear healthy. Thats better than my 2 sickly ones. Good luck with the rest of the eggs.

It's hard to say how my cuttles are doing. They are still acting funny, but I just got home from Gainsvile and they seem larger than how I left them, so it appears that they are growing (which is good!). Tomorrow I'm headed to the intercoastal waterway to gather some amphipods. Hopefully the cuttles will take to them. The sooner I can get them off mysid, the better. I'm also culturing shore shrimp. The baby shore shrimp are just a little larger than the mysid, so the cuttles should take to them very soon. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

DWhatley;190873 said:
It sounds identical to what I observed with Cassy and Tank's hatchlings
Is there a journal for these hatchlings? ? Do you have a link to it? I am interested in looking at there set-up and everything. Maybe I can find a similarity between my set-up and theirs which may have caused this strange behavior.

I just witnessed a feeding attempt!!
As soon as I looked into the net breeder this morning, hatchling 3 struck at a mysid. He missed, but I am still very pleased at the hunting behavior!

cuttlegirl;190965 said:
Hang in there both of you, sounds like things are progressing normally. Glad you got to see a feeding attempt DeepBlue. They aren't very accurate at first (I guess still learning).
Thanks! And I just witnessed another attempt by the same cuttle. But then, just five minutes later he goes "crazy" again.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back